Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting one of these tonneau covers.

Does anyone have any feedback on this particular cover?

I did search, and found a lot on this forum... but not much on that cover.

Any comments would be very much apreciated.

Mark,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are you buying it in Canada?
I'm on the east coast.

Place called action fibreglass...... are you ready?

can you beleive $1900+tax.:cry:

I have a friend with the "pe" roll cover with vinyl on the top, and he has had a few problems with the vinyl lifting.

So thats why i was thinking the full metal.

I thought if some of the members here had really postive feedback, I might consider going that way .... and I may be able to get the price down a bit.

I've seem them for sale in the US for as low as $1100us free shipping.

But you never know with custom fees etc..

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mark,

I've been researching these for when I buy my Tundra. If you dig around on the net, you will find out the little secret on the rollups the makers won't tell you. They are not watertight! This may not be important to you, but it is to me. Seems the Retrax is best for preveaynting water intrusion as they have a rubber seal down the length of each track. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the PE doesn't have this feature. Anyway, none of them are waterproof. Myself, I'm going to wait and see how easy/difficult the Toyota factory tonneau cover is to take on and off. Not as convenient as a rollup, but when I do use the bed as a big 'trunk', there'll be hell to pay if the wife's unmentionables don't stay dry......:)

slmhusker

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know how the paceedwards holds up but my brother has a Rollbak retractable powder coated aluminum cover on his truck and he's had it for not even 2 years and his is starting to get little chips in the paint/powder coating on the corners. I was almost ready to buy the paceedwards full metal jackrabbit cover for my truck but after seeing how my brothers cover looked and hearing a few negative stories on the quality of the paceedwards I have decided to go with a retrax cover instead.
IMO the pace edwards is probably a great cover most of the time and it looks really nice but I'm going with the retrax because it's a little cheaper and i don't want it to start looking like my brothers rollbak in a few years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark,

I've been researching these for when I buy my Tundra. If you dig around on the net, you will find out the little secret on the rollups the makers won't tell you. They are not watertight! This may not be important to you, but it is to me. Seems the Retrax is best for preveaynting water intrusion as they have a rubber seal down the length of each track. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the PE doesn't have this feature. Anyway, none of them are waterproof. Myself, I'm going to wait and see how easy/difficult the Toyota factory tonneau cover is to take on and off. Not as convenient as a rollup, but when I do use the bed as a big 'trunk', there'll be hell to pay if the wife's unmentionables don't stay dry......:)

slmhusker
Thanks, I have heard that as well... that they leak.

Its a tough call.

I have a crewmax on order.... 5'6" bed

with a rollcover.. you loose almost a foot.
plus they aren't watertight.
but they give you the option to take home a fridge without removing the cover.

I'm also looking at the A.R.E fibreglass cover.

They look nice, are watertight... and priced about the same.
but taking home a fridge... would be a problem.
I hear they can be removed, but not easy... as they are about 100lbs.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, wait, I forgot to mention, if the Toyota stock cover is a pain in the rear to remove or quite heavy, I was thinking of going with the Undercover:

Undercover ™ is the new standard in tonneau covers. Our Patented X-effect ™ design and advanced polymers give this tonneau cover unparalleled strength and durability at a fraction of the weight and less cost than fiberglass.

It's supposed to be easily removed and relatively light. The only problem I have with it is it only comes in black and is non-paintable. Also, they don't list any '07 Tundras, but I bet you could pre-order one if you gave them a call.

Whatever you do, I'd like to know what you go with (and pics)!

slmhusker

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the pdf of the A.R.E LoPro.

I think its a nice looking cover.

clean lines...... and it pops up about a 1" so you can just let the tailgate down.... or it can be open all the way.

I guess its also easy to remove.... or should i say easier to remove than ARE ls2.

Not sure what they mean by easy?... going to go check them out in person.

Attachments

·
Preferred Dealer
12 Posts
First of all no retractable tonneau cover is "watertight" and most fold up and roll ups allow some water in the bed as well.

Pace Edwards is shipping all 4 of their covers.

Bedlocker (electric all metal)
Full Metal JackRabbit
JackRabbit
Roll Top Cover

The BL, FMJ & JR all include two sets of clamps in each unit. One to work with the rail track system and one to work without the rail track. We also offer a 3-year no hassle warranty. #1 in the product category!

You can call or email me at the factory if you have any questions.

[email protected]

800-338-3697 ext 219

·
Registered
528 Posts
First of all no retractable tonneau cover is "watertight" and most fold up and roll ups allow some water in the bed as well.

Pace Edwards is shipping all 4 of their covers.

Bedlocker (electric all metal)
Full Metal JackRabbit
JackRabbit
Roll Top Cover

The BL, FMJ & JR all include two sets of clamps in each unit. One to work with the rail track system and one to work without the rail track. We also offer a 3-year no hassle warranty. #1 in the product category!

You can call or email me at the factory if you have any questions.

[email protected]

800-338-3697 ext 219

pffft! My Access cover is watertight and the Mopar one I had on my Dodge was watertight. The Access covers come with a lifetime warranty. Less than a minute to roll up and about the same amount of time put back into place and lock it. Truck Bed Covers and Caps - Pickup Tonneau Covers

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
pffft! My Access cover is watertight and the Mopar one I had on my Dodge was watertight. The Access covers come with a lifetime warranty. Less than a minute to roll up and about the same amount of time put back into place and lock it. Truck Bed Covers and Caps - Pickup Tonneau Covers
I think he was talking about the hard retracting models (e.g., FMJ), not the rollup tonneaus. The rollups are easy to seal because of the raised rail, but the retracting models have a horizontal channel that cannot be completely sealed.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know which of the covers lock - both tonneau and tailgate?

I believe the Undercover overlaps the tailgate keeping it from opening until the top is opened. I don't know how secure this is (i.e., would a determined pull on the tailgate make it slip by the overhang and open).

I have been looking for tailgate locks but have not found any for the 07 Tundra - especially those with backup cameras in the latch.

Thoughts anyone?

[edit]
:clown: OK, you all can add me to the DNS (don't know $hit) list. In the tailgate assist demo page on the Tundra site it mentions a "lockable tailgate". Also there is clearly a lock nub on the pictures (although no closeups that I could find). Nothing in the manual states that the tailgate is lockable. I looked - hard - really I did! And all the test drives I did I never noticed the lock. Anyway, nothing to see here - move along.

·
Preferred Dealer
12 Posts
I am sorry if I mislead you, but I was referring to hard RETRACTABLE tonneau covers. Not the soft ROLL UP tonneau's. Although they both are considered tonneau covers they are classified in seperate categories. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Friend of mine has the Undercover on his Silverado. Light in weight but very sturdy. Says his wife stands on it to wash and dry the top of his truck. He and I lifted it off to put on my white Silverado to see how it looked. Easy for two adults to lift on and off. I've had a Snug-Lid on two previous trucks and it took three of us to lift on and off. The Undercover seems to fit better then the two previous Snug-Lids I had and the installed price is $850 out the door.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I paid just over 700 dollars for my jackrabbit retractable cover. This thing is awesome. In my opinion it is by far the best out there for quality and warranty.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I put a back flip on friday and it locks with the Toyota locking tail gate. I like the low profile and it's "HALF" the price of the pace edwards. Not to knock them but, the price got me!!!:(

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
ARE LoPro: A copy of the Snuglid.

Full Metal Jacket: Best looking cover of the Pace Edwards series. If you buy a Pace Edwards cover, keep it lubricated.

Undercover: Best bang for your buck, strong, lightweight, removeable, etc.

Jack Rabbit (vinyl laminated aluminum) on the top, Full Metal (black powdercoated aluminum) on the bottom:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I paid just over 700 dollars for my jackrabbit retractable cover. This thing is awesome. In my opinion it is by far the best out there for quality and warranty.
Do you have a bed rail system, and if so, were you able to keep it with the JackRabbit?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Playforcash,
I would like to see photos of your cover. I have a Bakflip due in a few days. I have always used ARE in the past with great results so I am a bit nervous.
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts