Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIY:pacer LED lightbar installation

Hey Gents,

I just received my PACER OUTBACK F5 LED tailgate lightbar and it looks great. I did my research and it got a ton of good reviews. I plugged it in last night as I was getting ready to mount it and the LEDs are bright and have good coverage. My problem came in with mounting it. I tried to place it in the area between the bumper and tailgate, but felt like no matter where I placed it, the tailgate pushed on it when opening it. Does anyone have this lightbar installed that has any pics or tips on getting this puppy on without breaking it? I hope to put up pics and vid when I'm complete, as the system seems pretty sweet! Thanks in advance>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I got impatient as most of us probably do waiting for a response on how I should install this lightbar and just went with it.

1. Take the bar and side it into the gap between the tailgate and the bumper and check for positioning and clearance. Also use a measuring tape and check that the bar is centered. For mine on the 2007 Tundra Crewmax, there is a gap in the tailgate that is completely centered and there is a screw that is centered on the lightbar, so just line them up.

2. Once you are sure of the position in which you are going to mount the bar, ensure that the area is clean. I just used a wet paper towel and wiped it down a few times and wiped it clean with a dry one. It seemed to do the trick.

3. Next, remove the backing on the 3M adhesive strips and apply firmly once in the position you want. Once they make contact with the truck, they will STICK! I was able to pry them off to readjust, but it wasnt easy. So use that first minute to ensure you have the bar where you want it. This pic shows the adhesive strips looking down through a partly open tailgate.

4. Once you have the bar stuck to the truck, start with your wiring. This was a part I was not completely comfortable with as I have read many horror stories of guys blowing fuses and frying stuff in their trucks. I do have the trailer 7 prong adapter as well as the 4 prong outlet installed. (pictured below).

5. So as you see, you plug the four prong plug in to make sure the red LEDs at least work, which I had done before starting the install.

6. Now for the fun part. I knew I had to hard wire into the reverse lights and a power wire. So looking at the front of the 7 prong plug, I found the position for the reserve lights and for the battery charger prong for your trailer and went to work from there. I started with the reserve wire by stripping a 1/2 inch of the rubber off the wire coming off the back of that prong and wired in the light bar reverse wire. I taped it up good with electrical tape(red was all I had on me)

7. So now I had someone start the truck and put it in reverse to check and make sure I was on the right track. And as I hoped, the reverse lights now worked.

8. Next, I went to work on wiring the constant power wire into the trailer plug. Since it was constant power, I went ahead and unplugged the battery and then cut into the appropriate wire based on the diagram on the front of the plug for battery charging. After doing the same and taping it up, I started the truck and tested the brake lights and turn signals, and everything was operational. In this picture, you can see the turn signal portion illuminated on the light bar as well as taillight and mirror.

9. Now that I knew my wiring had worked, I replaced the wire wrap and 7 prong housing on the back of the receptacle. Its not the prettiest right now, but I plan on cleaning it up soon.

I plan on taking pictures and vid tonight to show the true effects of this new light bar which I am very excited about. I bought this bar for increased backup lighting and for increased visibility. Hopefully its worth it.

I know this is not a complicated accessory to install, but I thought I would talk through my install really quick for those who might be thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these to show how easy it is. I would estimate it to take 25-30 minutes total time to install as long as you have no hang-ups, the key to any install. Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
looks good.i've had the same light bar on mine for about 2 years now.when i put mine on,i centered it above the bumper,then trimmed off the plastic lip on the bumper step pad.rechecked the bar position and mounted it up and then wired it up on the 4 pin plug and into the back of the 7 pin plug for the reverse and power feeds.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
Great DIY info. Nice pictures also. Points sent !!!!!!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Glad you like it....good write up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK ladies and gents! I was able to get a night time video of my new LED lightbar installed. I am very happy with the reverse lights, they are crazy bright. Hope you enjoy this video!

·
Registered
384 Posts
How much did that bar run you?

I did mine the "easy way" and took off the adhesive pads and screwed it directly to the metal... saved lots of room that way. I used stainless screws and siliconed the holes as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just have one question, how did you get around the hole for the spare tire access? There is so little room between the bed top and bottom of bed end cap, a light bar would cover that hole to let down the spare.

Well I got impatient as most of us probably do waiting for a response on how I should install this lightbar and just went with it.

1. Take the bar and side it into the gap between the tailgate and the bumper and check for positioning and clearance. Also use a measuring tape and check that the bar is centered. For mine on the 2007 Tundra Crewmax, there is a gap in the tailgate that is completely centered and there is a screw that is centered on the lightbar, so just line them up.

2. Once you are sure of the position in which you are going to mount the bar, ensure that the area is clean. I just used a wet paper towel and wiped it down a few times and wiped it clean with a dry one. It seemed to do the trick.

3. Next, remove the backing on the 3M adhesive strips and apply firmly once in the position you want. Once they make contact with the truck, they will STICK! I was able to pry them off to readjust, but it wasnt easy. So use that first minute to ensure you have the bar where you want it. This pic shows the adhesive strips looking down through a partly open tailgate.

4. Once you have the bar stuck to the truck, start with your wiring. This was a part I was not completely comfortable with as I have read many horror stories of guys blowing fuses and frying stuff in their trucks. I do have the trailer 7 prong adapter as well as the 4 prong outlet installed. (pictured below).

5. So as you see, you plug the four prong plug in to make sure the red LEDs at least work, which I had done before starting the install.

6. Now for the fun part. I knew I had to hard wire into the reverse lights and a power wire. So looking at the front of the 7 prong plug, I found the position for the reserve lights and for the battery charger prong for your trailer and went to work from there. I started with the reserve wire by stripping a 1/2 inch of the rubber off the wire coming off the back of that prong and wired in the light bar reverse wire. I taped it up good with electrical tape(red was all I had on me)

7. So now I had someone start the truck and put it in reverse to check and make sure I was on the right track. And as I hoped, the reverse lights now worked.

8. Next, I went to work on wiring the constant power wire into the trailer plug. Since it was constant power, I went ahead and unplugged the battery and then cut into the appropriate wire based on the diagram on the front of the plug for battery charging. After doing the same and taping it up, I started the truck and tested the brake lights and turn signals, and everything was operational. In this picture, you can see the turn signal portion illuminated on the light bar as well as taillight and mirror.

9. Now that I knew my wiring had worked, I replaced the wire wrap and 7 prong housing on the back of the receptacle. Its not the prettiest right now, but I plan on cleaning it up soon.

I plan on taking pictures and vid tonight to show the true effects of this new light bar which I am very excited about. I bought this bar for increased backup lighting and for increased visibility. Hopefully its worth it.

I know this is not a complicated accessory to install, but I thought I would talk through my install really quick for those who might be thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these to show how easy it is. I would estimate it to take 25-30 minutes total time to install as long as you have no hang-ups, the key to any install. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey,

I paid 69.99 through Cabelas. I will say that their shipping was killer, had it 6 days ahead of what they quoted. I bought it there because the lightbar they advertised had a ton of good reviews and after I bought it, they divulged who actually made it. That was one reason I listed the manufacturer so people that were interested could do some price matching. As far as the spare access goes. My spare access hole is partly covered which made me a little uneasy, but when I get back home, I plan on taking a dremel to cut out the opening better by just trimming the plastic lip like IMTFOX mentioned. Im still very happy with the bar! Thanks for the replies and questions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts