Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Double Cab in Timberland Mica. I've had it since it was new and it currently has 105,000 miles on it. This morning I was cleaning the inside and outside of the windows and made a horrifying discovery. I opened the back door to step up and get better access to the back window glass and noticed that the roof was beginning to craze or turn gray looking on about 40-50% of the paint surface. If you look closely it looks like zillions of tiny cracks. Wet it disappears but comes right back when it dries...so it's permanent. I find no evidence of this happening on the hood or any other part of the paint. Just the roof, so far.
The truck sits outside all the time but I've cared for it and it's seen it's share of wash and wax jobs.

Has anybody else experienced this?
In a quick look I find no mention specifically of a paint warranty in the owners manual, but I'd imagine it is in there. I'm guessing it's out of warranty, like the rest of the truck, but does Toyota stand behind something like this? I bought it in late January of 2005, so it's not quite 5 years old. Heck, it's still 3-4 months from being paid for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like clear coat failure. Not much you can do at this point. It's possible wet sand or aggressively polish it, but I would leave it up to a professional. You'll probable need to have an electronic paint gauge to measure how much clear you may have left. I would take a good picture (macro mode on your camera) and post the question to the experts on Autopia - Autopia Home

Dean

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I have a 2005 Double Cab in Timberland Mica. I've had it since it was new and it currently has 105,000 miles on it. This morning I was cleaning the inside and outside of the windows and made a horrifying discovery. I opened the back door to step up and get better access to the back window glass and noticed that the roof was beginning to craze or turn gray looking on about 40-50% of the paint surface. If you look closely it looks like zillions of tiny cracks. Wet it disappears but comes right back when it dries...so it's permanent. I find no evidence of this happening on the hood or any other part of the paint. Just the roof, so far.
The truck sits outside all the time but I've cared for it and it's seen it's share of wash and wax jobs.

Has anybody else experienced this?
In a quick look I find no mention specifically of a paint warranty in the owners manual, but I'd imagine it is in there. I'm guessing it's out of warranty, like the rest of the truck, but does Toyota stand behind something like this? I bought it in late January of 2005, so it's not quite 5 years old. Heck, it's still 3-4 months from being paid for.

You can try complaining to Toyota but don't expect them to do a dam thing about it. Toyota's Clear coats sucks and there are others on here that will admit that.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue appears to be between the strips that run down the roof just inside of the doors and just shy of both the front and rear windows. Worst place is in the drivers side rear door area. The rest of the truck is perfect in all respects....and that's what pisses me off. Runs like a new truck and looks like crap. I have a friend with a body shop and I'm going to see what he says about it. If it can be buffed and re-cleared.

This will affect my thinking when I need to replace the truck. I was NO DOUBT going to get another Toyota, now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my 04 DC white truck and it was used with 30k+ miles on it. The year after I bought it I noticed the paint was showing odd rectangular patches about 3X4" that turned dull at certain angles. A few more have shown up and I now have 93k miles on it and it is garaged all the time unless being driven in FL. I think like others said it is a lousy clear coat job by the factory. I took it to the local dealer because the originally owner even purchased a paint protection plan. They could not/ or would not explain what or why. I paid a detailer to clay bar the truck and wax the whole truck, but it has come back. I give up until I just get the truck repainted.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
A repaint is not cheap of course, but it gives the opportunity to get rid of the useless OEM water based paint and get some proper solvent based stuff put on to stop the problems for good. :heh:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought my 04 DC white truck and it was used with 30k+ miles on it. The year after I bought it I noticed the paint was showing odd rectangular patches about 3X4" that turned dull at certain angles. A few more have shown up and I now have 93k miles on it and it is garaged all the time unless being driven in FL. I think like others said it is a lousy clear coat job by the factory. I took it to the local dealer because the originally owner even purchased a paint protection plan. They could not/ or would not explain what or why. I paid a detailer to clay bar the truck and wax the whole truck, but it has come back. I give up until I just get the truck repainted.
Your white Tundra does NOT have a clear coat. It's a single stage paint that is very prone to oxidation. For that reason, I would avoid all non-metallic white Toyotas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What about black tundras? I have a black 2005 double cab with 56k on it, and although the paint shows its wear and tear and usual scratches all over it, I can't say that it has started to fade yet. I am having body work done on the tailgate and the hood next week to remove some unsightly blemishes. While its there, the guy told me that he would detail the entire truck with polishing compound, then wax it and buff it to make it look new. He also said that after he paints the tailgate and hood, he is going to add a clearcoat to both of them.

Presently the truck is covered in tree sap, which I tried myself to remove a couple of days ago with no luck whatso ever. When removing tree sap, doesn't that strip away the clearcoat?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Your white Tundra does NOT have a clear coat. It's a single stage paint that is very prone to oxidation. For that reason, I would avoid all non-metallic white Toyotas.

I've got a white 2001 and the paint is still pro on it. People just need to wash their trucks and not park under leaky trees...

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I've got a white 2001 and the paint is still pro on it. People just need to wash their trucks and not park under leaky trees...
I've had the same experience with my natural white 2001 Access Cab but I wash mine at least twice a month. Early in the Spring I clay, clean and wax and repeat the process in the fall before cold weather. I personally prefer a non-clear coat finish because nothing looks worse than clear coat going bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts