Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paint matched bumpers/grille Silver Sky

Well, thanks to a deer I had to repair my truck. I decided to go back with the Limited front bumper, paint match the factory chrome rear bumper, and paint the grille. I like the way it turned out, and I figured I would post pics in case anybody wanted to see what that looked like in silver. I could not figure out how to post pics in the thread, so here is a link to my photobucket account. Pictures by GNBS - Photobucket

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Well, thanks to a deer I had to repair my truck. I decided to go back with the Limited front bumper, paint match the factory chrome rear bumper, and paint the grille. I like the way it turned out, and I figured I would post pics in case anybody wanted to see what that looked like in silver. I could not figure out how to post pics in the thread, so here is a link to my photobucket account. Pictures by GNBS - Photobucket
Looks great.How can i get mine done and how much?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Looks great! I am thinking of doing that or getting front and back done in black. How much did it run ya to get it done?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Paint matched bumpers/grille Silver Sky

I honestly don't know how much it would cost to just paint what you have. I had $5200 worth of damage (that the ins paid for), and I was able to have a friend with a body shop buy the different parts and paint the back bumper for the same price that it would have cost me to have it repaired back to stock. Believe it or not, if you have to replace the front bumper the Limited bumper is not more expensive, except for the cost of having it painted (actually I think it ended up being a little less).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looks great. I think I will have to do this soon

·
Registered
198 Posts
This was $5200 worth of damage? Was it purely comsetic or was there any mechanical damage?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
looks kinda like the drivers side fender was tweaked a bit at the bottom and the body shop just tweaked it back out and didnt have to repaint/repair it...at least from the after pics u can kinda tell a slight tweakage....if so that was a good area to save some money to offset the rest....not bad...

what kind of prep did he have to do to the chrome rear bumper?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
This was $5200 worth of damage? Was it purely comsetic or was there any mechanical damage?

thats easily 5200 in damage.... between the parts and the insurance paying to rework and repaint adjacent panels like the hood/fender, it adds up real quick...i dont think u can do much damage to anything anymore w/o it being a few grand at least...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It was actually $5700, but I didn't have to come up with the $500 deductable. As 07DCwhiteSR5 stated, he was able to save some money by repairing several parts instead of replacing them. It needed the obvious parts, plus both headlight lights (which are $300 a piece), the drivers side fender (which was repaired), core support, repaint the hood and pass fender, a/c condenser, etc. As for the rear bumper, you just need to sand it with a DA (I will have to find out which grit), then epoxy primer, sealer (not etching primer if you are doing it this way), and then paint it base/clear as you would any other panel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the complements. I know this look is not for everybody, but I like the way it turned out.

BTW: bulwaagh, I'll try to make this short....I traded my wife's 4-Runner for the Tundra, but it didn't take long to hear "the truck is too big" (especially after she scratched a couple of times), so I sold the Z06 and bought her the Civic. The S2000 is a really LONG story, but we traded it back in 9 days later. The Camaro is my current toy (442 RWHP).

·
Registered
50 Posts
That really does look great. The rear bumper especially looks better than I thought it would. I'm going to look into having this done on my Silver Sky when I have a little cash to spare. Nice truck!

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I have both bumpers and door handles painted instead of chrome . I wish I wouldn't of seen the picture of the front of your truck, now I have to paint my grill.lol. Looks great.

·
Registered
49 Posts

did you sandblast the rear bumper first?

·
Registered
135 Posts

Thanks for the complements. I know this look is not for everybody, but I like the way it turned out.

BTW: bulwaagh, I'll try to make this short....I traded my wife's 4-Runner for the Tundra, but it didn't take long to hear "the truck is too big" (especially after she scratched a couple of times), so I sold the Z06 and bought her the Civic. The S2000 is a really LONG story, but we traded it back in 9 days later. The Camaro is my current toy (442 RWHP).
you traded a z06 for a civic for your wife ?? Sorry babe, its you or the car and, well.. its a z06..... :devil:

I just have a soft-spot for GM smallblocks, I guess.... My tundra was to replace my '95 red T/A.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you use the same prep process on the front grille surround for paint match as the rear bumper?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts