Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painted my engine cover today.....(New PICS added from Flat to Semi-Gloss)

Flat black High Temp Heat around the gray middle. Then painted the iForce, 5.7 L V8, and Toyota Emblem in Slate Metallic Touch Up Paint. I may end up covering up the middle, including the slate painted parts and some of the flat black around them to paint the outside Satin or Glossy Black. The flate looks to much like a primer. I will post some daytime pics soon.

Flat-first two pics and Semi-Gloss next three pics......

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
I like it.

I was thinking of painting mine, but then I looked at how difficult it would be to tape around all the little letters and numbers and i said screw it. The only thing that looked like it would pop off was the toyota symbol. I know it musta been quite a lot of work. I dig it.

-Tim

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is all in the masking. I had the touch up paint and masking tape so it cost me a can of spray paint only. It was a nice cheap mod that I was able to do on my own; trust me when I say that I am a beginner when it comes to doing this sort of thing.

I am going to repaint it with satin or gloss. It will look better with the other colors; it looks too much like a primer being flat colored.

Thanks for the compliments!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Looks great! It's not over done or anything. Maybe its just the picture but I didn't realize there was slate on it until I read it. Looks better than stock though i think. Great job!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone painted their's black? Satin or Gloss to match better with the other caps/lids?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Now that is an original idea. I like it!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I painted it with Semi-Gloss Black last night. After I paint the lettering, etc. with the touch-up slate metallic, I will post pics. It looks so much better than the flat black that I used in the first pics. The semi-gloss matched up better with the intake and fuse box lids the best.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I want to do the same thing. Mine has pealed off and looks soo bad that I don't even like to open the hood to show off that cool a** motor to my friends. I was wondering if it would be posible to use chrome paint where the silver is? Don't know is the heat will let it stay? Looks great man.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's awesome!!! I want to do that to mine, only use automotive paint. Does anyone know if that will be OK to use? I don't see why it wouldn't because the hood is painted and there is no problems with the heat affecting that.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See beginning of thread for the new pics I just added of the Semi-Gloss Black instead of the Flat. Let me know what you think. It still does not match up perfectly with the air intake lid or fuse box lid, but it is closer and looks much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts