Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 AC with 116,000 miles on it. I need new shocks (DUH!!) and would like to put the 5100 adjustables on the front to level it out, as well as new ones on the rear. I have had an issue with wobble in the front so wanted to get the front aligned per DJ's specs but dont see a way around getting the front end aligned twice because Bilstein has the 5100's back ordered for a couple of months. I have new BFG All Terrain's all the way around and have had them ballanced lug centric (this in itself made a huge diff!!) but dont want to chew them up running the old shocks. So basicaly I have new tires on a truck that needs to be aligned and needs new shocks but the shocks are back ordered from Belstein for a coulpe of more months....so im told. In the meantime, my new tires could be getting unnecessary wear due to front end alignment that needs to be done and old shocks. What would you do, get the front end aligned now, and then again when the 5100's are put on because it changes the lift and front end angles. And rotate the tires every two thousand, twentyfive hundred miles or so till the Bilstein's come in?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Spend a few bucks and align the front end now. A few months sometimes has a way of turning into 5 or 6 months. This way you will not sweat it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Most alignment places will redo the alignment within 90 day.
Call around.

I just purchased a lifetime alignment for my truck, it was $120 and they align it every 6 months.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same problem with 5100's, I tried to order them through my canadian wholesaler who told me they were 3-4 months backorder from factory!!!!I waited for over 2 months until he told me this.....I was pretty pissed...so I cancelled it and went to wheelersoffroad.com talked to the guys online and they had them in stock! Bought them and they arrived 4 days later!! Only cost me 15 more dollars than my wholesaler here....Super great guys and super fast shipping!!!Give them a try
Ryan

·
2,444 Posts
Spend the money and get it aligned now. You will have to get it re-aligned anyway... don't wait. Definitely do DJs specs. Way better than losing the life on your tires.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Glad I could help...

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
do as maurader said and get a lifetime alignment. at my local shop, a 1-time alignment is ~$80, and i got a lifetime for ~$120. i just get an alignment done every time i rotate my tires, and i get full-life out of them. if you do get the lifetime, then you can get an alignment when you put the 5100s on (looks like you will get them soon), and then again if the suspension settles at all after you have them on for a few thousand miles...

wally

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok found the 5100's so im good to go as far as tires, shocks, and alignment....I will have all this done by the end of next week. The truck is stock and has been used by my 16 and 19 year old sons mostly in the neighborhood for the past couple of years. I lost my job and company car and have to rely on her once again so was wondering what else would most likley need attention as far as suspension or ride quality goes.

·
2,444 Posts
ok found the 5100's so im good to go as far as tires, shocks, and alignment....I will have all this done by the end of next week. The truck is stock and has been used by my 16 and 19 year old sons mostly in the neighborhood for the past couple of years. I lost my job and company car and have to rely on her once again so was wondering what else would most likley need attention as far as suspension or ride quality goes.

Depending on how high you lift the front you may want to install the diff drop kit. Also there is an inner cv boot mod that you may also want to consider doing. There is a lot of info on this site for doing front suspension work. Other items might be new front sway bar and steering rack bushings (poly).

With those you really you should be good to go.

I think it kind of depends on what you are going to use the vehicle for and how much time/money you are willing to put out, and how much you will be driving it. Right now you may not want to get too involved but you can start your list of improvements and knock them out little by little.

Have you had the timing belt done yet? If not you might want to save a little money to get that work done. It is not cheap and when that work is done the water pump should be replaced while the front is open. jmho.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should have let you all know its a 2WD, and just going to level it out. Yes, I have had the water pump and timing belt changed a little under a year ago. I'll do some more searching on sway bar bushings etc. im sure they are dry rotted and need replacing. Dont know if I should replace sway bar or just replace bushings. The steering bushings sound like they may need attention also?? I would think these things are not too tough to do if you know one end of a wrench from the other??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts