Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was gettin paint for a push bar that i'd need to fab some brackets for, that I got from craigslist, and the wife saw bumper paint in an aerosol can, so having time I figgured why not. It actually looks brand new. I never think to get before shots but my rear bumper looked like an bad bleach job on a black shirt, to give an idea of what it looked like, and the pics will show the after paint. I did do a before and after of the front though. Now that I got the push bar bumper, I stumbled across a brand new Manik S.S. grill gaurd for $275, so the big debait hmmm. pic is not the gaurd just a pic of the style.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Could get Mothers Back to Black refresher as well. I've heard it works well

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well I guess its good I was told after I painted mine black as well haha. I used Rustoleum spray paint and it worked well, too

·
Registered
567 Posts
Tryed it, it only worked for a day or so, as the paint is still making me go WOW.
i got the same result looked great for a couple days then went back to gray, paint is the way to go.

looks good, looks like i got my next project.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Looks great, something I will look into also! I think you're the first Tundra I've seen without a dent in the rear bumper...

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Did you do any kind of prep to the plastic prior to spraying? I've read other threads about painting plastic but was just wondering what you did...looks good.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The way I prepped was spraying rustoleum wax/tar remover on the bumper and wiping down, sanding with 150, 220, 400, and 800 grit sandpaper, cleaning again with rust. wax/tar remover, priming, and painting. Long part was taping off for me

·
Registered
657 Posts
I painted the plastic parts of the rear bumper. They were faded and grey. Those plastic parts pop right off so you don't have to do any masking. The center piece comes off first. With a long-handled screwdriver or pry-bar and some patience they pop off.
(Ask me for details if you're doing this). I painted the parts with Rust-Oleum/ Truck Bed Coating. They look brand-new.

Regards
George60

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Thanks clockheart10! I might give that a go. I also have matching faded trim on the sides of the truck. Would prefer body color but not sure if it's worth the trouble.

george60 - did you do any prep prior to using the Rustoleum truck bed coating?

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great, something I will look into also! I think you're the first Tundra I've seen without a dent in the rear bumper...
There actually is a dent in the rear bumper, that I just did by backing into a stair railing. It's on the left side and pissed my off even though its small. yopu can see it in the one pic I posted. I've only owned the truck for just over a year, so I'd have to give props to the previous owners.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you do any kind of prep to the plastic prior to spraying? I've read other threads about painting plastic but was just wondering what you did...looks good.
For the back bumper I kinda roughed it up a bit with a fine sanding sponge, then cleaned it with brake cleaner, as for the front I just cleaned it good and painted away, and I think it turned out better then the front, IMO.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I painted the plastic parts of the rear bumper. They were faded and grey. Those plastic parts pop right off so you don't have to do any masking. The center piece comes off first. With a long-handled screwdriver or pry-bar and some patience they pop off.
(Ask me for details if you're doing this). I painted the parts with Rust-Oleum/ Truck Bed Coating. They look brand-new.

Regards
George60
I actually was going to pop them off also, but looking at the clips on mine, more then a few were snapped off, so I figured its safer to just leave them alone, just in case of more damage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts