Toyota Tundra Forums banner

painting my glasspack... prevent rust?

Tags
glasspacks
7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  bill3508 
#1 ·
So I got my glass pack today and noticed the paint is a little thin. Should I repaint it before I install to prevent rust? Also would engine block paint work or do I need to try something else?
Thanks,
GATR

#2 ·
The paint won't hold on that long, but it is better than bare steel alone. The best way to a corrosion free muffler is a 304 stainless muffler.

Engine block paint is better than normal paint for standing up to heat, but on a muffler I think it would be best to use exhaust manifold (header) paint as this can withstand the higher heat present on the muffler. I have seen some guys get away with engine block paint on mufflers when the mufflers were towards the rear of the vehicle, a long ways from the engine. In that case more of the heat is dissipated by the exhaust tubing and the muffler runs cooler.

#4 ·
Painting it would help to prevent rust, but, like the others said, you gotta make sure its high-temp paint or else it will just burn off.
Id say that exhaust manifold paint would work the best, because the exhaust manifold is the hottest part of the engine.

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I got it installed today before I could paint it. A slot came open at the exhaust shop and I just went. I'll probably still paint it. BBQ paint is a good idea! I price the manifold paint as well.

#6 ·
I didn't think the muffler got that hot? I painted my cherry bomb with engine paint while it was hot. Its been holding up for over a year now, through buffalo salted roads. But its only a few dollars more for the manifold paint if you want to be safe.

#7 ·
Use a wire brush on the welds and scuff the entire muffler with steel wool
wash everything with a strong mix of Dawn* dish soap and rinse real good.

Buy the Good Quality BBG grill paint (1500*F)and use light even coats as directed.
Take your time allowing the paint to dry naturally.

#9 ·
I painted my Spintech muffler with VHT Ceramic Header Paint good to 1300 degrees and ran it through the curing process while on the truck. Plenty of room underneath to use a spray can and get it done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.