Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want a low profile black toolbox but im having trouble finding one for a reasonable price ( < $350). has anyone ever painted a aluminum diamond plate toolbox black? (the kobalt ones i can pick up at lowest). would this work or anyone have any other ideas? thanks

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I also prefer black over the polished aluminum, but almost every box I've seen that has been painted black looks like sh!t. I don't know if they don't prep it good enough or what, but the paint is always flaking off in huge pieces.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Linex is always an option.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tractor supply

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that tread spenser24, it helped a lot.

i might look into the bedliner idea, that'd be pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I painted mine with a roller and some rustoleum paint in a can (not spray paint) and it turned out ok. But, I did not prep it well and I did not wait the right amount of time to re-coat it. It is now peeling in some spots but it doesn't really bother me too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i was going to paint one how would i prep it?

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
if i was going to paint one how would i prep it?
Take some 80 grit paper and a sander. Make yourself cry at what you are doing to that good looking toolbox, finish with some 200 grit paper so you won't have any swirls come through the paint. Once you have the entire surface sanded, prime and paint.

The problem with diamond plate or treadplate aluminum toolboxes is that they are very hard to sand all the smooth areas. You need to roughen up the entire area so the primer will adhere properly.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Tractor Supply had a couple of black ones in your price range.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I just did this yesterday actually, to a brand new kobalt low profile box. I did not sand the box, but I did prime the whole thing, masked the handles and painted it black. I used Rustoleum spray primer, and Rustoleum quick drying semi-gloss black, I think it looks pretty clean personally. The other plus to this is ease of touch up, just keep a can of the paint around and shoot whatever spots end up chipping or peeling. The paint goes on super smooth so the touch up is really easy. From what I've seen, even boxes that are black brand new end up peeling, not sure there is a way to avoid that. It's worth it, cause the black looks a whole lot better.

Best of luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had my box Line-X'ed about 4-5 years ago and it's holding up great :)
Not one chip anywhere..
there are a few pics in my gallery...

·
Registered
64 Posts
anyone ever tried painting on the Rustoleum rattlecan bedliner? I'm kicking around the idea of using that, then spraying a semi-gloss black coat over it to avoid it fading in the sun (as it tends to do). Any thoughts on what the adhesion of paint to bedliner would be?

·
Registered
18 Posts
anyone ever tried painting on the Rustoleum rattlecan bedliner? I'm kicking around the idea of using that, then spraying a semi-gloss black coat over it to avoid it fading in the sun (as it tends to do). Any thoughts on what the adhesion of paint to bedliner would be?
i did a bed liner back when i was in school with that stuff on a ranger i had, probably 2 years ago and it was pretty durable. Sanded the bed down with 80 grit cleaned it off put 2 or 3 coats on and it was pretty thick I had no problems with it peeling off.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Painting usually doesn't work too well as the alu boxes are plated not painted. My uws box has started fading from exposure to the sun but it doesn't peel.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Skateboard, I'd sand it down as described, and hit it with two thin coats of adhesion promoter, there is one I've used from Duplicolor with good results(I got it form Autozone). It's just like Bulldog spray. Then prime and paint.

It is easier and better in the long run to just get one that is made black, but I know it is frustrating looking for the right one. I almost did the same thing you are doing. I was going to use the Rustoleum rattle can liner though since I like that stuff so much. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts