Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if i need a special type of paint to paint the valve covers? I want to use automotive grade paint. Will that hold up to the heat fine?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was looking for a paint that would leave a more thick hard coating like automotive car paint. I have used the duplicolor engine paint and its good paint just not what im looking for.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I know you are looking for paint,but, powdercoating or anodize could be another
option to consider, though a little more cost than spray can.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Who needs paint, with that 5.7 you are too fast for anybody to see it! :tu:
There are powder coatings that can hold up to high temps, I almost got it done on my headers but got to anxious to throw them on. I'm not sure if there is a good paint like what you are looking for. I don't know if it will take well on aluminum or if it would cause a loss in heat dissipation.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
There are powder coatings that can hold up to high temps I'm not sure if there is a good paint like what you are looking for. I don't know if it will take well on aluminum or if it would cause a loss in heat dissipation.
I am going with powdercoat on engine parts in May when home. I will post pics of before and after.

For the OP, though, not sure if there is a good paint to work with, for what is wanted.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could do powder coating i was just thinking with paint i could get a more metallic look then powder coating gives. On the other hand i can get it powder coated for free.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I think I know what you are looking for, but, you can get a clean look with powdercoating.

I am using this source below for my mods, because they are local for me, do a great job (did my suspension and sway bars), and have multiple options for colors, like Tiger Drylac products to pick from. They have other finishes, to create that metallic look. Only suggesting you look at what your powdercoater can do.

I am using them for my Spring mods on the engine parts to continue with my "colorkeyed, USA" theme. I will let folks know how it turns out. My SC will not be OEM black when installed, just to be different, as part of the plan coming soon.

Just for a reference:

Products

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
what color do you guys like the most. red or a candy blue?
You may beat me to it, but, it looks great. !!! I am going with RED for obvious reasons with my color scheme. Will be done in 4 weeks when I am home. I will also have some blue in the bay
to go with the setup I want. (red/blue/silver)

Both colors look great.....what other colors do/will you have in the engine bay?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think yours will be down first. I have me engine apart and am getting Ross piston and custom rods for it hopefully from Oliver rods. They told me it will be 4 weeks for them to make them. So far my engine bay is white the engine cover is the only color I have planned unless I see somthing I like.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You can use regular paint on the valve covers because they don't get that hot. Valve cover should be about the same temp as your engine coolant, 180-200 degrees, while running. I have painted covers before with regular Krylon paint with no issues. Ex manifolds are another issue.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know more people have an opinion on ether RED or CANDY BLUE valve covers.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Fire truck red!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I like red my self, but I probably would paint them blue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts