Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used fiberglass cap for my 06 access cab which I'll have painted to match. I'd like to save a few bucks by prepping the cap and I've already removed the windows and door. The current finish is in excellent condition.
What grit sandpaper do I used to sand it and would I use it dry or wet?

Thanks for any and all feedback, I appreciate it.

thanks
Frank

·
Registered
57 Posts
Get some "Soft Scrub" kitchen cleanser and a red Scotchbrite pad, and clean it well. Rinse often and dry. The cleanser will remove any oils or silicones that will keep the primer/sealer/paint from adhering, and the red Scotchbrite scuffs the finish enough for it to adhere well.

If you are set on using sandpaper, then 400 grit wet on a rubber sanding block will work fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am doing the same thing. I bought a used ARE and want to remove the windows. How much will you be spending on the paint job?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am doing the same thing. I bought a used ARE and want to remove the windows. How much will you be spending on the paint job?
I removed the windows and brought it to Macco. They sanded and painted it with single stage urethane for $175 and it came out great.

Getting the windows back in will be a challenge!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cap is assembled, took about 4 hours to get the windows and door back in. The windows use a two piece gasket that is a BEAR to install, (I assume there are special tools that I don't have). I used a lot of liquid clothes soap, (don't tell my wife), but it lubed the gaskets so I could push them together then lock, (pry, slide, push, swear), with a putty knife.

It's done and it looks like factory for less then half the price of a new cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts