Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking around I found some grilles on stylin trucks . com. I was looking for something a little different than the eBay cutout type grilles. I came across the Paramount 8mm grille w/ chrome surround (42-0369).

I did some google searches and noticed a lot of 2nd gen Tundra guys buying the Paramount grilles and giving them good reviews...so I took the plunge. Well that was a mistake, I got the grille today and the fitment was horrible and the overall construction was very cheap feeling. My OEM grille and Darrell Waltrip / sports grille felt solid but the Paramount felt like it would crack in half if your werent handling it with both hands.

I got the grille mounted w/o bolts and I noticed some large gaps but I though they would go away when I tightened the bolts but they didnt. There were 1/8" gaps on top of the drivers side and passenger side of the grill where it was supposed to be flush with the hood, I could fit a clothes hanger in the gap and it would fall right through..>NOT GOOD! The drivers side gap was worse than the passengers side.

Little Comparison photos of the front and the rear mounting, noticed the sunshine coming in on the rear of the Paramount. :mad:

*In the photos, the Paramount is on the left and my DW is on the right*

Drivers Side Paramount on the left / Sports grille on the right

Drivers Side
Paramount on the left / Sports grille on the right

Passengers Side

Passengers Side

And also on my DW grille the side "legs" almost touch the front bumper but on the Paramount the "legs" were about an 1" too short!??

Sports grille legs:

Paramount grille legs:

Oh well back it goes to stylintrucks......after swapping out the grilles between the Paramount / Sports / OEM, I went back to OEM for now, looks so cleannnnnnn. :afro:

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
That sucks! Well I know people on the 2nd gen are saying the gap around the headlights is about a quarter inch more, but not all that noticeable unless mentioned or you measure. It is of good quality overall though..And dude that sports grill is awesome! I would have never even thought about changing that out!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks! Well I know people on the 2nd gen are saying the gap around the headlights is about a quarter inch more, but not all that noticeable unless mentioned or you measure. It is of good quality overall though..And dude that sports grill is awesome! I would have never even thought about changing that out!

That front end is swaheeeet, that hood is sick!! :tu:

I saw your pics and one other guy that made me get the Paramount. I wish the gaps werent that much up top or else Id probably keep it. I know nothing will fit like OEM but I didnt think it would be that bad. Maybe I got a bad grille? :beatsme:

I love my sports grille but every now and then I get the mod bug and want to start changing stuff around....I guess if it aint broke dont fix it. :D

NICE TUNDRA though Mark!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I fricken love that sports grill too. I wish you would've been selling it 2 months ago, before I installed my insert.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bro! I wish they made a sports grill like that for the 2nd Gen Tundra. I would be on it! I am eventually going to do the mesh mod to this one I am thinking.
I saw some mesh grills on stylintrucks w/ different diameter mesh patterns.

Anyway stylin trucks sent me a return label so all is good....and the sports grill is getting put back on tomorrow. :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Anyway stylin trucks sent me a return label so all is good....and the sports grill is getting put back on tomorrow. :cool:
I've never been impressed with Stylin' Trucks. :td: They don't have much for imports and what they do have isn't that great.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Wow your OEM grille is so much better. That grille doesn't really do much for the front end of the first gen Tundra.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never been impressed with Stylin' Trucks. :td: They don't have much for imports and what they do have isn't that great.
Yeah but most sites dont have much when it comes to Tundras either. But im glad they sent me a prepaid shipping label....:D

Wow your OEM grille is so much better. That grille doesn't really do much for the front end of the first gen Tundra.
I know.....I just get bored sometimes and try to change things up but after seeing the pics again I put my sports grille back on and my OEM went back in its box. :devil:

ever considered one of those chrome ebay jobbies that are the same as oem style? has the chrome bars and surrounds.
I though about it but theyre too eify...those will probably have fitment issures too but then Id be stuck paying return shipping. Im done w/ grilles, my sports is good enough.

Now its time to focus on the tunes. :becky:

The Paramount looked tacky.
I think it wouldve looked a lot better if the bars went all the way down w/ the side legs. I was just looking for something different. Ive seen Tundras w/ horizontal billet grilles and they looked ok. But I though the thicker 8mm would look different.

·
Registered
741 Posts
glad you kept dw grille looks so much better :becky:

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
I saw a VERTICAL billet grille, 4mm bars, from these guys too. I'm not crazy about the bottom edge how it doesn't meet the surround. But it is intriguing.

And some of their mesh grille deals...

2mm mesh, black surround:

4mm mesh, black surround:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I just bought a black one for my Gen 2. Quality is a "painful average". Being gloss black one can notice lots of waves and dips in the outer shell, plus there are 1/4" differences in the gaps from right to left. I'll have to block sand the thing and pull it straight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts