Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 Sequoia SR5 with disk brakes in the rear won't hold on a slight grade with the parking brake applied, almost to the floor.

Dealer says this is normal.

I can't remember if this was the case from day one or not.

I tried reading as many TS threads on this as I could but the conclusions sort of seemed to say that my parking brakes not working on a slight grade is normal.

I always thought the parking brakes were supposed to hold a vehicle on any grade whatsoever, that they are applied first, and then the vehicle is put in park.

I don't trust the parking pawl to hold on a steep hill, especially when it's stressed over- and-over to take the vehicle out of park.

I get the feeling they tried to put a cheap brake design on this vehicle and it didn't work, so they just say, "put it in park".

Am I wrong?

Does anyone have good knowledge of this, so I can get my vehicle adjusted at the dealer like it's supposed to?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
parking brakes are supposed to hold the vehicle on any grade. thats the point in them. they shoudl also hold when u put it in reverse or drive at idle speed. they wont pass state inspection if they dont anyway. since its so old its hard to imagine a dealer not jumping at the chance to get in there and fix stuff and charge lots of money for crap anyway since its obviously out of warranty. have you tried a chain store brake place (midas, or just brakes etc)? they should be able to adjust it if the dealer is incompetant.

PS

FMVSS 105 requires that parking brakes must hold the vehicle stationary for 5 minutes on a
30-percent grade in both the forward and reverse directions

·
Registered
10 Posts
I remember a couple of weeks ago someone was saying they had the same issue. If I remember right, the E-brake cable comes out of an assembly of some sort under the vehicle causing the cable to become slack. It seemed rather simple, all he had to do was locate this plastic holder under the vehicle, and use a plastic ty-wrap to hold the cable back up where it came from. It was a 10 cent fix that cost him alot more than that before he figured it out. Anyone else remember reading about that? Good luck! DB.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My '03 Sequoia SR5 with disk brakes in the rear won't hold on a slight grade with the parking brake applied, almost to the floor.

Dealer says this is normal.
Your dealer is full of horse patootie.

I remember a couple of weeks ago someone was saying they had the same issue. If I remember right, the E-brake cable comes out of an assembly of some sort under the vehicle causing the cable to become slack. It seemed rather simple, all he had to do was locate this plastic holder under the vehicle, and use a plastic ty-wrap to hold the cable back up where it came from. It was a 10 cent fix that cost him alot more than that before he figured it out. Anyone else remember reading about that? Good luck! DB.
That thread is check into this if your parking brake isn't working too well. I had the same problem and did the zip-tie fix suggested... it didn't tighten the cable enough. I found a turnbuckle in the cable and tried tightening that but have since been advised by my shop that I shouldn't have made the adjustment there. In the end I heard some rattling in the driver's side rear wheel so I took it in for service. Ended up there was a piece broken in the driver's side assembly that had to be replaced, and they adjusted the brakes at the same time.

You can tighten the assembly at the pedal... there's an adjuster there. But if it doesn't take out enough slack, you have to remove the rear wheels to access the adjuster within the assembly itself through the disc:

To tighten the brakes move the adjuster upwards, as shown:

The manual states that you should tighten the brakes until the disc locks, then back off the adjuster 8 notches. The spec for the parking brake is full lock within six to nine clicks of the parking brake pedal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts