Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help fixing a problem on my 2000 Tundra. A couple nights ago I secured my truck like normal with the alarm transmitter and since that night the parking lights won't turn off. I have to disconnect my battery to keep from draining it of all power. I have the factory service manual and have done quite a bit already which I will summarize. If anyone has had this happen to them or can think of another course of action I would greatly appreciate it.

So far I have disassembled the lower dash and tested the switch for continuity. It tested fine according to the FSM with all tests falling within the parameters. I tested the integration relay and all tests also fell within the parameters of the FSM. By this I mean I tested the plug that goes to the socket to the relay. When I pulled the wire harness from the integration relay the lights stayed on, which leads me to believe the power is not being delivered from anything connected to the light switch and because the TVIP (factory alarm system) runs through the light switch, I don't think it has to do with that either. Even when I pull the taillight fuse the lights stay on.

The odd thing about it is the lights must be getting power from a source that operates at a lower voltage. Even though the lights are on, they get brighter when the switch is set to operate the parking lights.

Tomorrow I plan to hunt all the wire junctions shown in the wiring diagram for the parking lights. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do you have a trailor wire harness on your truck? I had the same problem a few years back and the harness was the cause. I unplugged the harness and that was the problem. It may not be the cause but it is worth checking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I do have a trailer harness so I will look at that also. Thanks for the response! Electrical issues are the worst and are so time consuming. I just hope I don't have to take it to the dealership cause that could turn into a huge bill.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you like your day lights? If you don’t there is a wiring harness on the driver side behind the battery. If you unplug the harness you won’t have day light at all. There are two harnesses and I think it is the smaller of the two. No it won’t screw up your normal night lights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck isn't equipt with the daytime running lights. The lights that won't turn off are the corner/parking lights.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have checked the schematics and have to agree with Gator2764. You are probably backfeeding from your trailer connector. Salt corrosion can get inside and cause unwanted conduction between wires ( and is consistant with dimmer lights ). This of course relies on you having a constant 12v source at the trailer connector as well. This source can come from 2 locations, either a wire has been run from the battery back to the connector to perhaps charge a trailer brake battery, or the OEM option 3 connector that connects to the BLACK wire in the connector has been used. This again would be a power source to the trailer connector. In any event this should be a switched power source from the key ( through a fused relay preferably ) so power is not always present at the connector, however it doesn't sound like it was wired that way. The biggest cause of corrosion is from live power sources that oxidize from water and salt. This is why the tail light , and direct power source pins in trailer connectors corrode up first. If you know of a power source that has been added to the trailer connector, pull the fuse and that should confirm the issue.

In any event it is highly recommended to replace the connector and also switch the power feed from a key on source ( again with a relay and fuse ).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem has been fixed and the trailer harness was the culprit. This is what I found. I followed the wires back from the 3 connector trailer plug to the left taillight and found a black box that the wires ran into. There was also an electrical burnt smell so I believe the box burnt out. The wires then went from the box and to a connector located behind the licence plate. Once I unplugged that my parking lights went out and everything still operates properly from the switch.

The trailer plug and the black box were both labeled Toyota so I know this isn't an aftermarket install, but does anyone know what the black box is suppose to do? The only markings on it besides Toyota is "power conv. auto ckt protection insert w/ISO tail". It appears I will have to rewire a new trailer plug another day.

Thank you all for helping. I really appreciate your input into my dilema. Now I can go back to what I had planned on doing before this issue came up which was change all the drive train fluids and order a set of headers as my manifold is leaking.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Sounds like it could be a tail light converter.
Converts your wiring with separate turn signals to systems with brake and turn
signals in one. Normally found on most trailers.

Just a thought.

tom

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The problem has been fixed and the trailer harness was the culprit. This is what I found. I followed the wires back from the 3 connector trailer plug to the left taillight and found a black box that the wires ran into. There was also an electrical burnt smell so I believe the box burnt out. The wires then went from the box and to a connector located behind the licence plate. Once I unplugged that my parking lights went out and everything still operates properly from the switch.

The trailer plug and the black box were both labeled Toyota so I know this isn't an aftermarket install, but does anyone know what the black box is suppose to do? The only markings on it besides Toyota is "power conv. auto ckt protection insert w/ISO tail". It appears I will have to rewire a new trailer plug another day.

Thank you all for helping. I really appreciate your input into my dilema. Now I can go back to what I had planned on doing before this issue came up which was change all the drive train fluids and order a set of headers as my manifold is leaking.

Rock and roll !!! Glad it all worked out.

:beavbutt:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive seen these black boxes at a few stores. They are used to tie into the tail-lights for the tow lights. If it burnt out you can remove it and try another one.

These tail light box connectors make adding tow lights as easy as plug and play versus the wire by wire crimp or solder job that requires an expert to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my parking lights. When i got to work this morning and turned the lights off the parking lights stayed on. Disconnected the battery and then reconnected and the lights were off. When i checked them by turning them back on then off again the parking lights remained on. Haven't had a chance to check the tail light converter yet but will do tomorow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have a trailor wire harness on your truck? I had the same problem a few years back and the harness was the cause. I unplugged the harness and that was the problem. It may not be the cause but it is worth checking.
Thanks ! Your answer fixed my problem with parking lights staying on. Haven't been to this site in years, but am thankful it's this here helping people. My 2006 Tundra dbl cab is still going strong, had it repainted and looks fabulous. THANKS AGAIN !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts