Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 2010 Tundra regular cab now for a few weeks and one thing I find annoying is that the passenger side door does not have key access. I do not carry the remotes for my vehicles.
Is it possible to have a key access added? Has anybody done so?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I go surfing I put the car key in my wetsuit - when I come back to the truck I'm also a little annoyed that the passenger side has no key access - and I typically want to change clothes on the passenger side of the truck, so it would be nice to key in on that side as well.

Also, the Tundra ignition key isn't supposed to get wet as there's a microprocessor in there that works with the ignition kill. So I had a spare key made at Lowes - of course that doesn't work to start the truck (engine turns over but does not fire), but this one is the one I put in my wetsuit.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
When I go surfing I put the car key in my wetsuit - when I come back to the truck I'm also a little annoyed that the passenger side has no key access - and I typically want to change clothes on the passenger side of the truck, so it would be nice to key in on that side as well.

Also, the Tundra ignition key isn't supposed to get wet as there's a microprocessor in there that works with the ignition kill. So I had a spare key made at Lowes - of course that doesn't work to start the truck (engine turns over but does not fire), but this one is the one I put in my wetsuit.
Toyota forgot that surfers might buy their products...lol
That's probably not an issue for most of the land locked US.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
have you seen how many manufacturers do this? almost all of them now. its not a toyota idea...its pointless cause no one uses them. remotes are part of this century, heck even last century.

but if u are surfing or whatnot and cant carry it with you, u can always get the universal keypad style off ebay etc (like the Ford OEM ones) and use that. u can even put the keypad inside the filler door if it will fit, ive seen pics online where people did that to keep it from being seen.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
There is an alternate way to do this. You could tie in any keyswitch that makes a momentary contact to the electric door lock wiring and mount it somewhere that wasn't totally obvious.
door-lock-control.pdf

·
Registered
158 Posts
A low-tech solution would be to buy a box of the "snack" sized ziplock bags to put the remote in. It has no sharp edges so you should be golden.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Or you could just walk around to the other side of the truck. Sorry, I had to say it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Or you could just find a spot in the sand, say exactly 4 steps from some fixed object and shove the key into the sand, a few inches down. This would be the cheap way. Cost zero.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, keying in on the traffic side of the vehicle is not a major drama or anything. I guess that this particular one annoys me a bit because the lack of a key hole on the passenger side of the truck seems to me like yet another step down the path to fully electronic vehicles.

I'm all for progress and whatnot, but too much drive by wire / computer / electronic do-dads ends up creating more fail points and possibilities for goof ups than more basic mechanical options (keyhole vs. keyless entry). So much of the stuff we buy ends up in a landfill because a tiny resistor craps out - while tried and true older technology is overlooked because we want voice activated technology crap to impress the neighbors or something.

However, I will say that I absolutely love the backup camera in my truck, and the Bluetooth phone integration works amazingly well. But I don't see any disadvantages to having a key hole in the passenger door, so eliminating that doesn't seem like a benefit in any way... In fact, when the power door lock actuator craps out on one of these newer cars, you are left with key-only operation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just adding to my so far dead end of getting a keyed lock on the passenger side. I talked with a lock shop who told me it would be nearly impossible to add a keyed alike lock to my right hand door. So that just made it seem more desirable to do. Then today I swing threw my Toyota dealer to look at something else I'm pondering and I notice that half of the Tundra trucks had passenger side door locks. So a walk around to the window stickers tells me that it was possible to get right hand keyed lock if I ordered a work truck package and had a remote entry delete. Not sure if I could have got the truck the way I ordered it with a remote entry deleted or not but I'm going to soon find out what it would take to get a lock put on. Dealer was not open today. Had I noticed the issue before owning the truck I certainly would have fought for a lock. Just thought I would add this update and hopefully soon I will post my solution to the problem. Only upgrade to my truck so far is a topper with hard wired 3rd brake light and interior light and I carpeted all the storage areas. Soon will have a light in the drink cup holder. Happy trucking!

·
Registered
32 Posts
To add a little info for you, FJ Cruisers use the same lock and handle stuff as Tundras. The FJ's have a key lock on the passenger side and I would be suprised if the work truck package tundra uses different doors from the regular tundra. The biggest hurdle I would think would be getting the dealer to order you a lock cylinder that is keyed to match your exhisting lock on the drivers side.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Also, the Tundra ignition key isn't supposed to get wet as there's a microprocessor in there that works with the ignition kill.
Sorry for being off topic, but has anyone got their key wet and it didn't work? I take my Civic key in my wetsuit all the time, years, and it works. During the summer, I just tie it to my trunks.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
To add a little info for you, FJ Cruisers use the same lock and handle stuff as Tundras. The FJ's have a key lock on the passenger side and I would be suprised if the work truck package tundra uses different doors from the regular tundra. The biggest hurdle I would think would be getting the dealer to order you a lock cylinder that is keyed to match your exhisting lock on the drivers side.
Get a used FJ passenger key lock, key and handle. They are silver but you can get a Tundra driver side to match or just paint. You could have a locksmith match your tundra key but better yet, leave them different. If anyone gets your key, it won't start the truck

·
Registered
32 Posts
The FJ handle and Tundra handle are the same. The only thing you would need is an FJ cylinder and another tundra drivers side lock hole cover to match whatever type you have now as the passenger side and drivers side small cover pieces are interchangable.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i think its just silly to worry about havin to walk to the drivers side to unlock the door this day and age of remotes anyway haha. the work trucks with the RKE delete as stated have a key hole on the pass side so why even bother with FJ stuff if all you need is one door handle from a WT and a key cylinder?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
The FJ handles are silver on all the ones I've seen, so they are not the same, just interchangeable.
Finding a Tundra with work truck delete may be hard to find used for awhile, so many more FJ's out there. You could even swap handles with someone from the FJ forum, several seem to prefer our handles over theirs. Being that their vehicles are shorter, they may be able to walk around to the other side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I'm now locking and unlocking my truck with a key on the passenger side. Actual project did not take long at all. Took apart the righthand door one evening to see what was already in the door. Went to the dealer the next day and ordered the parts. Went to a lock shop and had the new lock cylinder rekeyed to match. One hour and 15 minutes later I was set. For my 2010 Tundra Regular cab SR5 truck the part numbers where as follows if anybody else cares to up grade.
Cover -black 69217-0C010 $11.72
Clyinder 69051-0C010 $57.72
Lock Assembly 69030-06210 $316.97
Rekey at local shop (15 minutes or so) $33.00
My remote, keys and inside lock buttons all function just fine. The dealer warned me that I would be voiding any factory warranty work on my lock system by putting these items on my truck. He said that "Toyota doesn't want me remanufacturing their vehicle" I said $27000 says its my vehicle now. :)
Also took the time to shoot some rust proofing into the door while it was apart.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I could see how adding a factory part in the stock location would classify your vehicle as a custom modified truck void of all warranties.

The only shocker is the $317 for the cylinder

1 - 20 of 20 Posts