Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I have been stuffing the new Tundra in our tiny garage for the last 3 weeks just waiting to hit something with the new truck:eek:! Well this has been a bad week. On Saturday I got a speeding ticket for 60 in a 30 but the cop was nice and gave it to me for 35. Anyway, yesterday I am taking the kids to the store and backing out of the garage, hit the side of the garage with the mirror. So the housing was ok but the mirror is shattered and needs to be replaced. Anyone know how to remove the mirror for replacement? I have looked behind it at an angle and it looks like there might be clips holding it in? I have looked into replacements and official Toyota parts says "replacement lens with power mirror and heated mirror". Is that just the mirror? The motor and the mirror still adjust with the power mirror, so the mechanism seems like it is ok. Does anyone know how to remove the mirror so I can replace? Any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad week. I know exactly how you feel though. Mine are the tow package mirrors with the turn indicators on the ends which are BOTH partially cracked from backing out of the garage. About a year ago I saw some on e-bay and am sure there will be more on there. Good luck with the search.
-Bamadoc

·
Registered
583 Posts
you might call a local glass shop and see what they say. i had this happen on a another car and called a local glass/mirror shop and they replace the mirror for me at no charge. i cant remember it is was heated.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. So I called Toyotapartsdirect.com and they can send a replacement mirror only for about $39. I hope that I can get the old one out and not break anything. It looks like the old mirror can be "popped out" and that there are 4 tabs holding it in. I found a DIY at http://www.muthco.com/techsupport/pdfs/21001340.pdf to put in aftermarket mirrors. I don't think I will have to remove the housing from the truck. Heres hoping all goes well.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Just remember if this is on the limited mirror you have auto dim feature which I think is actually part of the glass but I am not sure. Just some thing to ask when ordering just the mirror part. I think it maybe easier to get to the glass parts if you removed therear plastic cover the chrome part or black if you have a SR5 or base but I never had mine off maybe someone that has removed there mirrors have more information for you on this. To remove the mirror there just like 3-4 bolts you can get to from inside if you remove that plastic triangle piece in the corner of the glass it just pops off from memmory.

·
Registered
86 Posts
just go to a glass shop and let them put the new piece in. it may cost 50 bucks or so but if they break it it's their problem not yours

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did a similar thing. I managed to break the mirror itself off of the housing (mirror is fine, but the plastic swivel is broken). I have heated, dimming, turns signal, memory mirrors, so I could not find a replacement on ebay. I ended up shelling out $890 (installed) for a new one because they only sell whole mirror assemblies.

Before I spent the money, I tried to repair the damage as the mirror itself was perfectly fine, but only the plastic housing that holds the power pivot mechanism was broken. I figure it is a $2 piece of plastic. You can remove your mirror by simply pushing straight up on the mirror to unhook it from the holder (assuming all Tundra mirrors attach the same way). The whole assembly is apparently removed with only a few bolts inside the door. I tried gluing the parts on my mirror back together with no luck. 3 diffrent types of epoxy refused to stick to the type of plastic they make the mirror assemblies out of.

I feel so bad spending $900 to fix something that I could do myself with a $2 part. Oh Well.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the update. Received the mirror last week and started to work on fixing. I ended up misreading the instructions from Muth mirrors and popped out the mirror from the housing. Problem is that there is a flimsy plastic piece that is held on in 5 places. 4 of the places are where the control arms(posts) for the motorized adjustment are and the 5th is in the middle of the housing on a ball and socket type joint(which broke on mine). So it came off and with a little coaxing the clips came out of the broken mirror(be careful here, the mirror has a glue on the back and it is difficult to remove). I clipped the new mirror to the bracket and then pushed the bracket back onto the 4 posts. It is in there at this point and everything is working. The problem is that the ball and socket part was broken and I am thinking if it has a really hard shaking, the mirror might pop out(not sure because the posts seem to clip in hard). So it is fixed and hopefully will last awhile with no problems. Thanks all for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts