Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some mulch and topsoil today - the 2005 Tacoma 4x4 V6 earning its keep.

Regards,
Thane Silliker
London, Ontario

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dont blow the suspension!!!;) I loaded the back of my truck today with 12 bags of white pebble rock and she squatted (12bags x 40lbs =480lbs) :confused: ! The suspension on these things are weak! I was very dissapointed at the amount of squat that I got- - - - - -BUT---- it rides great :) ! I'm just so use to the 3/4 Ton trucks that this is a huge difference! How did the truck drive loaded down like that? Was your braking much harder? JB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did the truck drive loaded down like that? Was your braking much harder? JB

Truck worked great with the load. Underneath the mulch was a layer of heavy topsoil and the truck was obviously nearing the limits. It bottomed once on a hard bump, but that is to be expected. Braking worked about the same as empty. Steering also felt normal.

I once had most of a pallet of wood pellets in the back (prb over 1200 lbs or so), with another pallet and a half on a trailer besides. Braking was still fine. I haven't experienced the soft braking that some complain about.

The truck is a pretty darn good workhorse. V6 + manual 6 spd. + stock 4x4 suspension.

Regards,
Thane Silliker
London, Ontario

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had about 1500 lbs of fire wood in the back of mine before the Supersprings were put on and it sagged a lot but for the most part drove well. Since the super springs I have had 1300 lbs of rock in the back and it sits pretty close to stock height. Plus it rides much better with the weight in the back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Last weekend I made three trips to the landscape supply place - twice for a yard of top soil and once for a yard of mulch. Each time I the guy gave me two very heaping skidsteer buckets of whatever I was getting - he gave me a good bit more than a yard each time. With that much mulch, the weak stock suspension did OK, I still had about 1.5" of travel between the bump stops & the frame. With the soil, however, I was *on* the bump stops. The guy there said it was well over a ton of soil. The ride home was sketchy. The front end was all over the road as the heavy load pushed the truck like mad.

Here's a pic of the truck sitting on the bumpstops:

I bought some SuperSprings and installed them yesterday. I'm excited to see how they affect the under-load ride quality this weekend when I fill the bed up with stuff again.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Where did you guys buy your SuperSprings from and how hard are they to install? I should do this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought them from loadandtow.com. They're the first site listed under Buy Now >> Online on supersprings.com. Steve at loadandtow was great - I ordered them last friday, he shipped them the same day. I paid $288.95, UPS Ground shipping included, no tax since I'm not in CA or TX.

Install was simple, took me about 90 minutes because I was using wrenches and not a socket/ratchet or air wrench. The installation instructions are available to download as a PDF on supersprings.com. The instructions say to use a C-clamp to compress the spring against the stock leafs so that you can attach the shackle. I didn't have a C-clamp, so instead I jacked the truck frame up to allow the axle to drop. This brought the leafs up into the supersprings shackle. You don't even have to remove the wheels to install them.

With an empty bed, I estimate these springs lift the rear end a good 1.5" - 2", and I installed them on the "less lift" setting. I wasn't looking for lift, but I'll live with it because of the amazing improvement in ride quality, even when empty. The truck handles a *lot* better than it did stock. Sway / Body Roll are gone. It corners a lot more aggressively, feeling more like it's on rails now. Acceleration from stop is more responsive since the tail-end doesn't squat before it starts moving. However, with a stiffer rear end, it's easier to spin the back tires. That's another small trade-off I'm willing to accept.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I am definitely putting these on my upgrades list. My truck sits pretty low in the rear now, so lifting it a bit would be a nice bonus, as well as any handling improvements I get. Thanks for all the info Jack.

Jim, Columbus, Ohio

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had my tacoma for about a month, a couple of weeks ago I got several half-yard loads of fill dirt (didnt want to overload it by filling the bed completely).

Just noticed the other day that the truck is leaning to the left. The driver side is about an inch lower at the top of the wheel well than the passenger side. Front and rear.

I have an appointment on Monday to have the dealer look at it. Is it possible that the load damaged the suspension? (Do you think they will make me pay to repair it) I did feel it bottom out on some bumps on the way home.

Thanks

-sean

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just noticed the other day that the truck is leaning to the left. The driver side is about an inch lower at the top of the wheel well than the passenger side. Front and rear.
That lean to driver's side appears to be a Tacoma feature...with the battery on that side, and the heavy (especially when full) fuel tank running fore & aft on the driver's side as well. Add in the ever-present driver's weight, and they tend to lean that way.

There are a lot of vehicles that lean toward the driver side, once you start looking ;-)

Hopefully that is all you've noticed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Over the weekend I had a chance to load up my bed with the new SuperSprings, so I'm posting back to here with the results. I am very pleased with them. On saturday I bought some patio paver stones. I hauled them home in three trips; The heaviest load was 1456 lbs. With this much weight (over max payload spec), I estimate that the rear-end squatted to about 1.5" below factory ride height. I still had 3.5" of travel between the frame and the SuperSprings' bump stops. After unloading the blocks, I went to the landscape supply to get two half-yards of 2a limestone. His lookup chart said that a yard weighs 3000 lbs, so each half-yard weight roughly 1500 lbs. The results were the same as for the pavers - about 3.5" of travel to spare.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Over the weekend I had a chance to load up my bed with the new SuperSprings, so I'm posting back to here with the results. I am very pleased with them. On saturday I bought some patio paver stones. I hauled them home in three trips; The heaviest load was 1456 lbs. With this much weight (over max payload spec), I estimate that the rear-end squatted to about 1.5" below factory ride height. I still had 3.5" of travel between the frame and the SuperSprings' bump stops. After unloading the blocks, I went to the landscape supply to get two half-yards of 2a limestone. His lookup chart said that a yard weighs 3000 lbs, so each half-yard weight roughly 1500 lbs. The results were the same as for the pavers - about 3.5" of travel to spare.

I have a question, Where on your leafs are your Supersprings, I know that they don't have to be centered, but mine just seem like they are in the wrong place, still seems to work well, but it seems that the roller don't have much room to roll. Could you please post pics, I may need to adjust mine. Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had the same concern after mounting them - it doesn't look like there's too much room for the rollers to roll without running into the spring straps on each end. There's not really any way you could move the supersprings forward or backward to alleviate this, so I figured it must be right since the spring kit was designed for the 05+ Tacoma.

Another issue I'm having with them is I think the front eye on each SuperSpring may be hitting the frame. The installation instructions say to install the front shackle on the lower setting and the rear shackle on the higher setting. Using the higher setting allows for more clearance between the spring eye and the truck frame. However, I think there is less clearance towards the front of the truck so I am going to reverse these settings and use the lower mounting position in the rear and the higher position in the front to give me more clearance up front.

Even with this possible issues, they are definitely doing their job. Below are pictures of the front and rear shackles on the passenger side. Anyone else with SuperSprings, can you let us know if this is how they look installed on your truck?

Front:

Rear:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thank's for the pic's. I am going to post some pic's of mine later today. The rear side of mine is very similer to yours but the front end on the other hand is almost at the end of the leafs. I have the TRD offroad package, I wonder if my springs are different then yours. I am going to play with the positioning of them this weekend I think.

·
Registered
666 Posts

Mine just doesn't seem right to me. And you can also see where the shackle is hitting the frame!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think your picture links will work for anyone else - it appears like you have to be logged into yahoo mail as you to follow those links.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts