Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

just got the recall notice on my truck a few days ago. The notice went to my Maw-in-law's house (not sure why).

Well, it specifically says on the recall notice that if I am unhappy with the fix, a replacement pedal is available at no charge. So I decided that I might as well get the pedal reinforcement bar (basically shim) installed so I can continue to use the dealership to get free oil changes. Worst Case scenario I have to complain and get a new pedal.

To ease everybodys mind (I was very skeptical and nervous about this fix) I decided to post my findings.

First off, only the shim was installed.

They did not trim the pedal, or even remove my floormats.

No software changes.

I was scared of how the pedal would feel, but I like it more. It is only a hair harder to push down and the pedal pushes back to idle position a little snappier. It feels more like a cable accelerator than it did before, which I like.

-Tim

·
Registered
422 Posts
I dont even notice a difference in mine...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks for the post. Good to know.

Mine goes in next week for the fix. Now I just need to find a dealer that will shut off the seat belt chime at the same time.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
At the beginning (after the shim install) it felt the pedal was firmer and my leg was getting tired.
But after a week of driving it and readjusting the seat I can not tell the difference.

·
Registered
889 Posts
At the beginning (after the shim install) it felt the pedal was firmer and my leg was getting tired.
But after a week of driving it and readjusting the seat I can not tell the difference.
I thought I am the only one feel it firmer after the fix...

Was about to ask for new gas pedal... just to make my head not thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I thought I am the only one feel it firmer after the fix...

Was about to ask for new gas pedal... just to make my head not thinking about it.
Thought about doing the same thing, but than could not find time for it and finally I think it is fine with me.:rolleyes:

I think reading this forum affects your judgment:D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Glad yours turned out well. First I thought it was great until the road got rough. Then my foot would move with the truck and cause it to accelerate. Wife felt the same thing. On dirt roads it was worse. Had to go through toyota to get the dealer to replace.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bill mine does the same thing, I called the dealer and they thought I was crazy, they want to drive it, they won't take my word for it. I told them it was like bouncing a baskeyball when you go over a speed bump, like the weight of my foot wants to push the throttle on down.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Bill mine does the same thing, I called the dealer and they thought I was crazy, they want to drive it, they won't take my word for it. I told them it was like bouncing a baskeyball when you go over a speed bump, like the weight of my foot wants to push the throttle on down.
Someone recently posted a link to a news story whrere toyota announced they would replace the pedal if you didn't like the fix. If they give you a hard time I would call corporate. I'm sure someone on here knows a number you could call to complain.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone recently posted a link to a news story whrere toyota announced they would replace the pedal if you didn't like the fix. If they give you a hard time I would call corporate. I'm sure someone on here knows a number you could call to complain.
That is the truth. It is written expressly in the recall letter that if you are unhappy with the installation of the reinforcement bar, a replacement pedal will be available at no charge when they become available.

If i decide that I do not like the feel of the new pedal, that is the course of action I will take. I will first take the letter to the dealer and tell them that is what I want, if they give me a hard time, I will talk to the service manager, then keep climbing the ladder.

The dealer shouldn't really battle with you, since Toyota will pay the dealer for the warranty labor, although that is like 1/2 of the regular rate.

-Tim

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i still havent even taken mine in yet hahaha oh well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the recall done about 2 weeks ago. The pedal felt much softer and when driving on a bumpy road my foot would push on the gas with each bump. I called and complained and asked for a new pedal. It was ordered and installed in less than a week.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I had the recall done about 2 weeks ago. The pedal felt much softer and when driving on a bumpy road my foot would push on the gas with each bump. I called and complained and asked for a new pedal. It was ordered and installed in less than a week.
Same here. My Son took the truck up today. He called me when he got home and said he likes the new pedal a LOT. Here's the confusing part. He was told that replacing the pedal (if you didn't like the fix) was a two step process. They installed the pedal, but it will have to go in at a later date for something else. Not really sure what my Son was talking about, but if we like the feel of the new pedal, I'm not going to let them monkey around with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey all,

just got the recall notice on my truck a few days ago. The notice went to my Maw-in-law's house (not sure why).

Well, it specifically says on the recall notice that if I am unhappy with the fix, a replacement pedal is available at no charge. So I decided that I might as well get the pedal reinforcement bar (basically shim) installed so I can continue to use the dealership to get free oil changes. Worst Case scenario I have to complain and get a new pedal.

To ease everybodys mind (I was very skeptical and nervous about this fix) I decided to post my findings.

First off, only the shim was installed.

They did not trim the pedal, or even remove my floormats.

No software changes.

I was scared of how the pedal would feel, but I like it more. It is only a hair harder to push down and the pedal pushes back to idle position a little snappier. It feels more like a cable accelerator than it did before, which I like.

-Tim
That is exactly what my experience was also, better pedal feel overall.
D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also had the too soft pedal after the recall work was done. I had the dealer replace the pedal. The new pedal is made by the same company as the original one (CTS). The new pedal feels perfect, it is slightly reshaped though.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I didn't notice any difference after the shim. I'm thinking alot of people just feel better knowing or being told that they have a new pedal. ...really need to have a blind driving test (you know, like the Pepsi challenge) to get to the bottom of this. Do you prefer the feel of truck number 1 or truck number 2. -I drink Coke cause Pepsi sucks.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I finally got around to taking my truck in to the dealer today for the pedal recall. I requested that a new pedal assembly
be installed. Apparently, they are on backorder, so they put the shim in for now. They did order the new assembly for
me, and will let me know when it comes in. I cannot tell any difference in pedal feel with the shim installed.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can see why people are complaining after driving with shoes on lol. I was barefoot earlier and it wasnt as bad, but I notice it is a little springier. I hit a bump driving away from a stop sign and blipped the throttle on accident.

-Tim

·
Registered
588 Posts
Brilliant polack there was no feeling better cuz I got a new pedal. A vehicle accelarating when I don't want it to is an issue. They jacked up my truck with the shim mod and made it unsafe. I have a 4x4 to use it and it was not safe to be off road. Worse part about this is I took it in for an oil change b4 I received the recall letter. They told me they had to do it or I could have the oil changed. Didn't have time to argue or go elsewhere. The dealer said they could not remove the shim and i needed to contact toyota . I did and toyota took care of the dealer within 10 minutes.
The service Mgr did say that there would be a cdifferent campaign 90L he called it - to remove some padding and reshape. I don't quite believe that .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glad yours turned out well. First I thought it was great until the road got rough. Then my foot would move with the truck and cause it to accelerate. Wife felt the same thing. On dirt roads it was worse. Had to go through toyota to get the dealer to replace.
Who did you get ahold of at Toyota to expedite getting the replacement pedal? I am having the same experience that you did. My shimmed pedal is difficult to moderate on rough terrain or even on a rough road, and the service manager at the dealership seems to be dragging his feet. He first denied there was an replacement pedal available for the 2007 Tundra. Luckily I had kept my recall notice and read him the language regarding the replacement pedal. Then he said it would take a while to get a replacment pedal in. After a week, I haven't heard from him.

Also tried the customer service number on the recall notice. I listened to over 4 minutes of a recorded message before hanging up.

Your assistance is appreciated because this shimmed pedal is just bad. Wished I had not had the recall done, as the original pedal worked fine.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts