Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading all of the posts on this issue, I had my local dealer perform the recall on my 07 DC hoping that I would be one of the lucky ones who could not tell the difference.
The gas pedal was trimmed and a shim installed.
It was terrible!
The pedal was WAY too sensitive and the truck would lurch forward when going over speed bumps or rough spots in the road.
I almost rear ended a guy in the parking lot due to the "Jack-Rabbit" effect.
One call to Toyota Corp and with-in 15 minutes my loacal dealer called and made the appointment to replace the pedal.
I picked up the truck yesterday. HOLY COW! What a difference.
Smooth as silk now.
Better that it was originally. I never really liked the original pedal as it had a dead spot from about 2-7% throttle.
No more. It's smooth and continuous all through it's range.

I marked the "recall" pedal just to make sure they really changed it.
They did!

Don't settle for the shim if you don't like the feel, call Toyota Corp. and complain.

I love my truck again! Yippeee!

Bill

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Thanks for that... I've been meaning to do this, cause I'm getting really sick of the sensitivity, especially around Detroit's terrible roads :( --- What was the number that you called for Toyota?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i still havent even done the recall. and now i got the mat/pedal interference letter yesterday saying they will cut/modify my pedal to prevent interference. well seeing as how theres no way in helll my mat and pedal can get stuck, i still am not taking it in. no one is choppin up my pedal making it look like crap, and no one is sticking a super senstive shim no where unless its up their own azz

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i still havent even done the recall. and now i got the mat/pedal interference letter yesterday saying they will cut/modify my pedal to prevent interference. well seeing as how theres no way in helll my mat and pedal can get stuck, i still am not taking it in. no one is choppin up my pedal making it look like crap, and no one is sticking a super senstive shim no where unless its up their own azz
I was surprised that the pedal looked really nice. It being a little shorter didn't make a bit of difference to me, it was the sensitivity.
When I got my truck back yesterday, they had put the floor mat in the back floorboard.
I guess that was required becasue they did that after the recall too. Too Funny!

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I just had my recall done yesterday. I don't know exactly what they did, if they replaced the whole thing or if they just installed the shim. It feels smooth to me, there is a little more resistance, but that is OK the original was kinda sloppy to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that... I've been meaning to do this, cause I'm getting really sick of the sensitivity, especially around Detroit's terrible roads :( --- What was the number that you called for Toyota?
Try: 800 331 4331
Make sure they give you a case number.
They were very helpful.

Bill

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had my recall done yesterday. I don't know exactly what they did, if they replaced the whole thing or if they just installed the shim. It feels smooth to me, there is a little more resistance, but that is OK the original was kinda sloppy to me.
They told me that you have to do the shim first then complain to get the pedal.
I read on another post here that some dealers are just going right to the pedal replacement.
I have a friend that has a 2010 DC and he liked the shim. Said it felt good to him.
This was at the same dealer mind you. Go figgure.
I'm glad I had access to this forum and this topic or I would have not known the options available to me.
Way to Go TundraSolutions.com

Bill

·
Registered
889 Posts
In order to get the new gas pedal replace. They have to shim and cut the pedal first. If you still complain, then they will replace it... my local dealer did it for me without have to call Toyota corporate.

The new gas pedal is shorter than the old one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That is a joke - they should just put in a new gas pedal. I also have a death spot on it and I do not like the feel, Toyota should put in a new pedal right away when customers complain. The cost for a new pedal is btw 50 US, less than some pay for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
As matrix77 said, the dealer is required by Toyota to do the shim modification first.
Then if you are not satisfied, they will replace the entire assembly. Took mine in
for the recall, and told them that I wanted the whole pedal assembly replaced.
They told me that they would do the shim that day, and order the new assembly
for me. The part came in a few days later, and they replaced it. New pedal
is very smooth and linear. It is a little shorter at the bottom though. They
are just following direction from corporate, whether we like it or not.

·
Registered
133 Posts
THANK GOD! i am not only one who has this redic lurching over bumps....gf yells at me and i tell her i cant do anything about it, makes entire truck jerk

popo i live in lansing area, roads are just as bad as Detroit so it sucks A**!!!!!!

calling my dealer tomm to get this damn thing replaced

·
Registered
149 Posts
I thought that jerking was just the nature of the beast....everyone who drives it notices it. Getting that fixed ASAP.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I'll have to wait until monday for mine, but I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow to make the appt!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just as a point of overall information. The shim comes in different thicknesses. The piston under the pedal mechanism is measured and the correct shim put in under it.

If the dealer put in the wrong shim or a shim that doesn't quite fit right then the awful pedal response is the result. Maybe that is why some of those that got the shim are satisfied while other are not. This information is from my service adviser so take it for what it is worth.

My shim caused the jumpiness and the new 440C pedal fixed it. The pedal feels better than the original that came with the truck.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'll have to wait until monday for mine, but I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow to make the appt!
Forget the pedal...I likie your avatar. hehehehe Group hug! :devil:

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Forget the pedal...I likie your avatar. hehehehe Group hug! :devil:
Yeah, I like it too! My wife gets about 2-3 Victoria's Secret catalogs every week in the mail... the nice thing is she's always telling me to look through it & pick stuff out for her. That way, she doesn't get into as much trouble for spending the money if I pick it out :tu: So, I feel as if those gals are "part of the family"... I wish! Makes ya wanna turn Mormon!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My dealer says out of stock waiting for new one.
I must have taken the last one Charlie! :laughing3d:

It is soo nice now.
You are gonna luv it!
Hang in there

Bill

·
Registered
240 Posts
They put mine in this morning, you are going to enjoy it!

Finally able to go over railroad tracks to work without bucking like a bronco.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts