Toyota Tundra Forums banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Unreal.....I went to my local dealer yesterday, and asked about the 'sensitivity' on my pedal. The writer told me that he's NEVER heard of that!!? B S !!!

Went right over to the parts counter and asked one of the guys standing there about it. He told me the exact same thing you all have said on here about it. Shim first...cut the pedal...blah...blah...blah!! I asked if I could buy a new pedal from parts. he looked at me sideways and said..."NO".

Now what do I do? Admittedly, after installing the Nitto Terra Grapplers yesterday as well (285/60-18's) and MB Motoring Chaos wheels, the problem is ever so slightly, less. Not too sure why that would be, but it does seem to be less choppy? For the lack of a better term?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My truck goes back to the dealer tommorrow for pedal replacement. Fairly painless process, emailed toyota, they emailed me back and told me to take it to the dealer. Dealer said yeah it's about like all of them are after the recall. He ordered the new pedal and said that about 50% of owners has reported back that the pedal response improved. I told him that I hoped I would be in the lucky 50%. We'll see tommorrow.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Unreal.....I went to my local dealer yesterday, and asked about the 'sensitivity' on my pedal. The writer told me that he's NEVER heard of that!!? B S !!!

Went right over to the parts counter and asked one of the guys standing there about it. He told me the exact same thing you all have said on here about it. Shim first...cut the pedal...blah...blah...blah!! I asked if I could buy a new pedal from parts. he looked at me sideways and said..."NO".

Now what do I do? Admittedly, after installing the Nitto Terra Grapplers yesterday as well (285/60-18's) and MB Motoring Chaos wheels, the problem is ever so slightly, less. Not too sure why that would be, but it does seem to be less choppy? For the lack of a better term?
Aint that some BS!
My service advisor was very cool, told him I read on this forum about the pedal replacement, he swore he never knew there was such a thing as sensitive pedal but he still went ahead and placed the order without refusing. After he said "no kidding! what a difference!" then he had me tell him all about Tundra Solutions:first:

Tell them they either place you the order or you're gonna email Toyota and they're eventually gonna have to replace it:angrywife:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had my new pedal for a couple of days now. Drives like a regular truck now. I'm actually having to relearn how to drive it somewhat. I can keep my foot on the acclerator going over bumps now. It doesn't drive like a ford or chevy but it's much more manageable. For those of you that haven't had it replaced I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
THANK YOU to the OP for the info almost a year ago and thanks to SHAYWARD for bringing it TTT!!!

I refused the recall on my Cmax but the "new/used" '07 we just bought has the butchered pedal and what a PITA!!!

I didn't want to bother Vic with this since we're +- 30 miles away, so I went to the dealer down the street. He said there's no difference and that all you get is a factory shortened pedal......no mention of a shim.

We will now be INSISTING on a new pedal!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Until I saw this thread, I thought it was just me.
My 5.7 DC 4X4 was so hyper-sensitive that it was a joke.
Offroad driving on washboard was out of hand, as it actually would kick through gears due to throttle sensitivity.
My local dealer (Capistrano Toyota) told me that the truck showed it had received the "recall" and that they'd check it out.
They cheerfully installed the "440c" pedal replacement, and the difference is remarkable; like a different truck. Highly recommend this fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I said before I had the pedal replaced. Don't know if it was the 440 that has been mentioned. I did get a little relief in the response but only a little. Still don't let my daughter drive the truck! I called my dealer Avondale Toyota in AZ again to see if there was anything else they could do. The service MGR Phil told me to bring it in and let the toyota FTS rep drive it as he would be in town. I agreed and brought in in today. You would have had to be there to believe this conversation. First the new MGR Phil tells me he has never heard of this problem. Then we go for a drive with the factory Toyota rep in the parking lot, can you believe it! I told him to take it out on the road not just in the dealer parking lot!! We did and he was good with the throttle. He has had a lot of practice but the truck did do a burn out at one stop and I looked at him and said see! He took a very short trip and started to come back. I asked him to drive to some of the 4 way stops I knew about that had bumps in the intersection, he refused saying the truck was fine and there was no problem. The Toyota rep also told me he has never heard of this problem before, even though he did a burnout in my truck! I have had no less than 4 different people at the dealership tell me they are aware of the problem, Techs, service writers, old service MGR and even the lady at the Toyota customer care line that took my call said she had had a number of calls on this problem. After I left the dealer I went back to the intersection the rep burned the tires at. The patch was about 6 foot long and not to dark as he let off the gas as soon as the wheels started spinning. The inside wheel did have a small amount of gravel which would have helped the wheels spin but I have posi and the outside wheel had perfectly clean asphalt.

If they do not have an additional fix thats fine, but to deny the problem is just ridicules. Especially after the FTS lays a patch with me in the truck! The old service MGR was aware of the problem an had tried to help me.

Is there a way for me to tell what pedal was put in my truck?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I just had my recall done yesterday and I drove it for the first time this morning..... I immediately notice the difference. Not as bad as I thought it would be.... but still caused me to leave a voice mail at my dealership. I told them I don't feel comfortable or safe with the fix as is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mine has had shim is very bad when 4 wheel-low is in driveing in field or bumps jumps dealer said I had to go threw toyota just hate to call

·
Registered
4 Posts
when to differ dealer he order no question asked, got new petal in same day installed the next day truck is like when new glad I didn't have to call toyota

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,168 Posts
I picked up a 2007 CM last month (from a Toyota dealer) and to me the throttle felt rather sensitive, especially compared to my 01'. I wonder if I can have the VIN run to confirm whether one "fix" or the other has been done? I would like a slightly less responsive gas pedal! Maybe I'll call them today...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought it was just the nature of the beast (08 Tundra Limited). I am calling the dealer to get the jerky gas pedal fixed. My wife has been yelling about it for months, and I thought that it was the fly by wire ....getting that new gas pedal asap!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did the same today. Immediately satisfied with the lack of jerkiness in the 1st/2nd gear speed regime. Much better / finer throttle control.

Of note, I couldn’t find pics of the shim when I was researching this, despite numerous posts on it. So I’ll post for future users. Looking at the two pedals, there seems to physically be zero difference, especially after the shim is removed from the original pedal. Perhaps it’s just the shim causing the issue, or it is a combo of no shim and new pedal (interior differences maybe?). Install is 2 10mm bolts. Had I to do it over I would have removed the shim (flathead and needle nose pliers) first, driven it, then bought the 440 pedal if that didn’t satisfy. At least it was a $35 gamble and not $100s.

3304201D-933A-444B-8017-5102463EEF78.jpeg
4B96EAA4-3159-487E-8BAE-EA778FBAF1BB.jpeg
47DE40F6-004C-48BC-AC21-DB7757979F7F.jpeg

141 - 154 of 154 Posts