Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had an issue with peeling chrome on the front grill of the new Tundras. :mad: Just notice that it is blistering and peeling along the bottom. Will take it is to be replaced under warranty but a little annoyed that a 10 month old truck has this already. Just wondering if this is a common problem.

Thanks,

·
Registered
136 Posts
Has anyone else had an issue with peeling chrome on the front grill of the new Tundras. :mad: Just notice that it is blistering and peeling along the bottom. Will take it is to be replaced under warranty but a little annoyed that a 10 month old truck has this already. Just wondering if this is a common problem.

Thanks,
I recently noticed the same on my 2007. Don't think i will get warranty, and since i was already looking for an aftermarket grill, this will only speeds up things.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Never heard of this one. Keep us posted on what the dealer says and maybe drop a picture here too. Where exactly is this happening? Thanks

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Mine's got it in two places... the pic of which is the worst. The other one looks like a THICK ballpoint pen just dabbed at it in about 5-6 places.

It sits right behind the brush guard upright too... or at least the bulk of it. I am not sure as to why it is doing it right there, but it NEVER comes in contact with the brush guard.

-rockstate

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
rock, please tell me thats all just dust on the chrome and not that many rock chips and pits....also CLEAN UNDER YOUR HOOD...the little peak u show there is kinda grungy......haha.

oh and a couple years ago i remember some people having this issue, i think a couple have blown off pieces of chrome with a pressure washer at the car wash....

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
rock, please tell me thats all just dust on the chrome and not that many rock chips and pits....also CLEAN UNDER YOUR HOOD...the little peak u show there is kinda grungy......haha.

oh and a couple years ago i remember some people having this issue, i think a couple have blown off pieces of chrome with a pressure washer at the car wash....
A lot of it is rock chips and pitting. Kinda sad, IMO because the brush guard sits right in front of it and should deflect a little bit of it....

I drive 900 miles in one day, probably about 6-8 times a year so it sees a lot of highway miles.

-rockstate

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
A lot of it is rock chips and pitting. Kinda sad, IMO because the brush guard sits right in front of it and should deflect a little bit of it....

I drive 900 miles in one day, probably about 6-8 times a year so it sees a lot of highway miles.

-rockstate
wow. arent u glad u kept it chrome and didnt spray paint it to match like some have...haha that would look horrible by now.

if u ever replace it, get it 3m'd even if its jjust to cover the chrome, and change out the film annually hahha.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Ughhh that woulda been nasty! Oddly enough, knock on wood, the rest of my paint is good even from taking off my mudflaps. In a year I've picked up probably 2-3 small chips.

Good idea on the 3m tape. I wish I could take this under the "corrosion" warranty...I'll probably keep my eye peeled for one on Clist.

-rockstate

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a spot kinda triangle shaped the size of a pencil eraser popped up on my grill. It looks like an air bubble. Next oil change I'm going to show them and hope it gets fixed. It's an 08 with 17,500 miles. I love driving this truck but I'm getting a little discouraged with the cheap quality of some of the construction. I had my Harley in the bed and was outside of the bed snuging it down. As I pulled the strap tight I put a nice crease in the bed as it caved in while pulling on the strap. Also where the rear wheel of my Harley sat put a dent in the tailgate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just came back from the dealer and they are going to replace the grill under warranty. I asked about the rust coming through on the bumper and they looked at that too and are replacing under warranty. Will take some grill pictures tonight and try to post them.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I had the same problem on my '07 --- actually, it was in the same spot as yours! I've heard that it should be covered under warranty, but I never bothered with it, since I traded mine in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine was bubbling under the chrome not a result from rock chips. They replaced that and the rear bumper under warranty. So far no more issue front or back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts