Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have read post here before but just created an account so hello everyone. I am the proud owner of a 2002 Tundra. I installed a 2 or 2 1/2" Rough Country suspension lift a few months back. I put it on as well as some 17 inch Helo Wheels (black and Chrome) and 285/75R16 Cooper ST's I also had a magnaflow muffler put on. I love the truck and everything about it. It runs great and sounds amazing. I just want to add a few more toys. I want some more power and wondering if I can achieve an even better sound within a reasonable budget. I have considered the following:

1. Throttle Body Spacer- I really want one that whistles....(I have heard Helix Power Tower is the way to go to achieve this)

2. Mass Airflow sensor- Dont know a lot about this but the sales pitch is good and seems like it would help

3. Cold Air intake- been doing some research and seems like AFE Stage 2 is the way to go

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Once again hello and thanks for your posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't know about replacing MAF sensor on Tundras--tricky computers and not much in the way of aftermarket parts, but I have always had a throttle body spacer and CAI on every vehicle I've owned. Some guys will say the TB spacer is a waste of money, but I know they make improvements. Whichever CAI you decide on, call the manufacturer and make sure it will fit with whichever TB spacer you choose. I have a K&N CAI and I had to call and have them ship me an extra long mounting bracket to attach to the underside of the intake tube because the TB spacer shifted the tube too far away from the mount location for the original bracket to reach. Enjoy modifying your Tundra!!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
welcome to the support group for tundraholics. If you want to you can take out your stock air box, see that elbow/snorkel thing? Cut it down so there's enough to still go into the fender but get rid of most of the elbow. It's already a cold air intake and its free. Some members cut new holes in the front part as well.(below the filter!) Stick with the stock paper filter too. I have a k&n cai and it makes cool noise but not cool power. I learned of the airbox mod afterward and that's how I'm rolling now. You get more low end torque with this set up. My tires bark all the time, didn't do that with the cai. Save up for headers.
As far as tb spacers, I never tried it. MAF sensor, some guys use one from a supra but I don't know what kind of power that adds. Like Chris said, your ecu is smart, it's hard to trick.

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
I like my K&N....my 0-60 drops .2 seconds.....the initial go is stronger with the stock (true cold air), but you do get the HP from the KN. But i will say i pulled the 1600LB payload in bed with the intake and it was fine. exhaust ive read single in single out dont go with duals....this is just what i have read already on here..again same thing if you dont pull a lot the duals might be a benefit...so gotta weigh the options to what you will be doing

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a single in dual out and it works great. Still have stock airbox and just a k&n filter in it. But I did put in a TB spacer. I have a knock off power tower and it doesnt make any noise that you can hear. Most of the intakes will make noise without an external airbox. I do like the K&N CAI and would buy one just dont have the extra cash laying around.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Well, my k&n does seem to give a little kick above 3500 rpm, but any lower and it gives a little less than stock. So I went back. For daily driving low end torque is better, who drives above 3500 all day? You bring a good point in the exhaust, single is better than dual for performance. Stay with the stock pipe, if you want a muffler get it but don't change the pipe. I wonder if there is a "what works for hp and what doesn't" post around here. That would be a great sticky....moderators?

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
yea that would be hp gains yes but torque loss also...i do know theres tons of posts on TB spacers...but i mean what are they "suppose" to really do and do they do it to those posting here that seem to actually like theres

·
Registered
312 Posts
yea that would be hp gains yes but torque loss also...i do know theres tons of posts on TB spacers...but i mean what are they "suppose" to really do and do they do it to those posting here that seem to actually like theres
A TB spacer increases the velocity of air going into the motor, especially if you get one of the ones that creates a vortex as the air goes through. I have always noticed immediate throttle response improvements with TB spacers. If you already have headers, exhaust, CAI, etc., you probably won't feel a difference just by adding the spacer. If you get them all at once, they all work together to put more air in the motor at a higher velocity and get more air out of the motor the same way. That's exactly what superchargers are designed to do, they just do it to a much greater degree. As far as the exhaust questions, I've stated on here before, but I have JBA headers run into dual 2.25" aluminum pipes and Dynomax mufflers. I chose to keep the catalytic convertors on to keep from eliminating backpressure which will cause these 4.7 vvti motors to loose bottom end. I definitely didn't lose bottom end with this setup. As much of a gimmick as some people think they are, you can even add one of those Tornados to the intake tube of your CAI and increase the velocity of the air even more. Truthfully, each of these improvements on their own really won't amount to much, but when they're all combined, you will feel (and hear) a difference. The downside to all of this is that even though you may increase overall efficiency and possibly gas mileage, it all sounds so much better that you just can't keep your foot out of the gas pedal!!!

Oh yeah, after making all the additions to your motor, don't forget to disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes or so and then when you reconnect it, immediately take the truck for a good drive-it-like-you-stole it test run to reset your ECU to read all the new baselines of function.

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
electric fan is next then im going to just change the muffler to get some noise then maybe look into headers...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot for the opinions. This will definately give me some things to think about. Hopefully Mr. Tundra will have a full stocking christmas morning full of toys to give him a little more get up and go! Does anyone have the Helix Power tower tbs? If so, can you hear a whistle?

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
A TB spacer increases the velocity of air going into the motor, especially if you get one of the ones that creates a vortex as the air goes through. I have always noticed immediate throttle response improvements with TB spacers... As much of a gimmick as some people think they are, you can even add one of those Tornados to the intake tube of your CAI and increase the velocity of the air even more.
Chris, I hate to burst your bubble, but you bought that marketing hype hook, line and sinker. TB spacers are nothing more than an efficient way to part you from your $$$, especially on the 4.7L 2UZFE. And a Tornado? LOL Seriously??!!

I'd really like to see your data on the improvements you achieved by jamming a metal ring that restricts intake bore diameter into your intake channel...

Oh yeah, after making all the additions to your motor, don't forget to disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes or so and then when you reconnect it, immediately take the truck for a good drive-it-like-you-stole it test run to reset your ECU to read all the new baselines of function.
You don't accomplish anything by driving it "like-you-stole-it" after disconnecting the neg battery cable or resetting the ECU. The engine control module takes time to determine proper engine management settings, not speed. It doesn't get truly "reset" for about 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Thanks for clearing the 'drive like you stole it' one Duffy. I thought that was an OBD 1 trick. Only thing I could see that doing is wasting gas since the ecu runs on the rich side as a protection until it adjusts. I don't believe in tb spacers either, just didn't wnat to start the 'yes they do-no they don't' fight.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Chris, I hate to burst your bubble, but you bought that marketing hype hook, line and sinker. TB spacers are nothing more than an efficient way to part you from your $$$, especially on the 4.7L 2UZFE. And a Tornado? LOL Seriously??!!

I'd really like to see your data on the improvements you achieved by jamming a metal ring that restricts intake bore diameter into your intake channel...

You don't accomplish anything by driving it "like-you-stole-it" after disconnecting the neg battery cable or resetting the ECU. The engine control module takes time to determine proper engine management settings, not speed. It doesn't get truly "reset" for about 100 miles or so.
How did I know that Duffy would be the first one to go against the TB spacer post I made?!?!? As I said, some people like them and some don't. Some guys on here love their CAI's, some say they're junk. Some love dual exhaust, some don't. You can say anything you want about each individual product, the point is that they all work together to increase air flow. There are three components to improving engine power without digging into the motor itself: more air, more spark, more fuel. Preferably, you get a supercharger and a tuner that can help you get the best of all three and really reap the benefits.

The only "data" I have is the seat of the pants feel and the fact that my truck will walk the dog on lots of other trucks. What other data would I need?

If you have to drive the truck hard for 100 miles, then so be it. If you're adding power and/or sound, why not enjoy it while simultaneously resetting the way your ECU monitors your driving!?!? Don't know if that works on the 02 Tundra the way it does with the 05-06 models, but either way, it's still fun.

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
well i love my intake soo i am not sure what to believe anymore.... have to see for myself most likely

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
well thanks :D it was stock and black a while back then this :D my next things on list are LED tails and fan/exhaust/wheels basically...

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
How did I know that Duffy would be the first one to go against the TB spacer post I made?!?!? As I said, some people like them and some don't. Some guys on here love their CAI's, some say they're junk. Some love dual exhaust, some don't. You can say anything you want about each individual product, the point is that they all work together to increase air flow. There are three components to improving engine power without digging into the motor itself: more air, more spark, more fuel. Preferably, you get a supercharger and a tuner that can help you get the best of all three and really reap the benefits.

The only "data" I have is the seat of the pants feel and the fact that my truck will walk the dog on lots of other trucks. What other data would I need?

If you have to drive the truck hard for 100 miles, then so be it. If you're adding power and/or sound, why not enjoy it while simultaneously resetting the way your ECU monitors your driving!?!? Don't know if that works on the 02 Tundra the way it does with the 05-06 models, but either way, it's still fun.
Chris, the only point I was making is that the stock intake can accomodate almost three times what a normally-aspirated 2UZFE engine can utilize simply due to its size and design. The introduction of any static component into the intake accomplishes nothing, and, in most cases, simply creates a restriction, i.e. your tornado product and its propeller "fins" jutting into the intake stream. The only way to get more air into/through an engine is remove all restrictions (bends, dirty filters, exhaust constrictions, etc.) and/or by force (turbochargers/superchargers).

It's my opinion that the biggest restriction on the stock 4.7L setup is the lousy exhaust manifold and y-pipe design.

And you're correct: a supercharger will only be as good as the tuner, as good as the exhaust design, as good as the ___________. Etc.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Hey Duffy, We live in the same city and I've seen your truck before.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Chris, the only point I was making is that the stock intake can accomodate almost three times what a normally-aspirated 2UZFE engine can utilize simply due to its size and design. The introduction of any static component into the intake accomplishes nothing, and, in most cases, simply creates a restriction, i.e. your tornado product and its propeller "fins" jutting into the intake stream. The only way to get more air into/through an engine is remove all restrictions (bends, dirty filters, exhaust constrictions, etc.) and/or by force (turbochargers/superchargers).

It's my opinion that the biggest restriction on the stock 4.7L setup is the lousy exhaust manifold and y-pipe design.

And you're correct: a supercharger will only be as good as the tuner, as good as the exhaust design, as good as the ___________. Etc.

My $0.02.
10-4 By the way, I do not have a tornado in my intake tube. I saw on another forum where someone did that in a lab situation, and tested the cfm's of air movement--no change in actual cfm's, but it did create a conical airflow pattern coming out of the tube (shown with smoke). With the theory being better atomization of air/fuel mixture with a conical, forceful airstream, at least it does apparently create that effect on the air. You may very well be right about the exhaust manifold on our trucks--probably the reason the new motor has the so-called header set-up from the factory. The TB spacer I have has the same diameter hole that my TB has, so it isn't causing any restrictions. The "helical bore" actually is set up to dump the air directly into the open fins of the throttle body. Do I know for a fact that it works? No, but I do not think it was a waste of money, I enjoyed doing the install myself, and with all the bolt-on mods in place, the motor most definitely makes more power and sounds better.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts