Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really been wishing i had more power out of my 01 Tundra V8 but i dont want to put the $8000 that Squires STS Turbo is asking on it, knowing i would have to change out the piston rods anyway. So what would be the best way to get some more power out of it without going turbo? I would like more MPG, but more HP is what i really need.

I have looked at doing an LS1 swap but my stock engine only has 55,600 miles on it so i really don't want to do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Try to find a trd supercharger for your year. Other than that there isn't much for bolt on performance. Some love the unichip, others hated it and took it out, headers and exhaust done together seem to wake it up a bit but it is expensive for 10 hp. That's about it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked all over but i cant find anywhere that sells a TRD supercharger for my year. If i could i would love it!!! I went on the lextreme site and found a ton of options for performance upgrades. If i put the supercharger on i would do a few other upgrades to make dang sure i didnt grenade anything.

Is anyone selling a TRD Supercharger for my truck?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bumpers not that large! its maybe 160 pounds, me and a buddie installed it. I carry at least 2x that in weight with just my tools that are ALWAYS in my truck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have talked to the Toyota dealer down here and they did make one a while ago. But because the v8 engines have very thin piston rods they were destroying the engines. So they stopped making the TRD SC...which totally sucks!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you look around one ebay, craigslist, and on this forum they will show up from time to time. they are rare but not impossible to find. you would be looking at about 2,500 to 3,500 for one with everything. I ran one on my truck for 6 years on a stock block and was fine. I did have a smaller pulley and had to ad a URD fuel and timing control unit to make it so it wouldn't run lean.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, if you want more power i assume you are going to use more pedal.
therefore you will not be getting both HP & MORE MPG. you have to pick 1.
sts turbo are now 1999 for a universal since they don't make the direct bolt anymore.
due to lack of customers.

if you use a sts turbo & only push 5pounds of boost you will be fine.
or
you can spend alot on headers & cat back exhaust, a cai, & the custom tuned unichip.
or
under dog racing has a few options.
or
TRD S/C.
but honestly thinking you are going to get more mpg isn't going to happen.
the best way to get better gas mileage is proper tires & proper inflated.
a complete tune up.

if you can, look at the web site Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
run your tundra down & try that gas. to date anyone that has tried it,
there mpg has gone up. so thats your cheapest more mpg mod,
without doing anything. just putting in pure gas.

once you start your mod's, it becomes expensive.
if you really want more HP & TORQUE
look for a 05 or 06, drive it.

you will not come close to the power of a 2005 /2006 with bolt on's,
unless you do a trd s/c or turbo.
so i would find 1 for sale at a dealership, etc & just take it for a ride.

i'd hate for you to start sinking all that money only to be disappointed.
good luck in your decisions to come,
gorilla

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually they do make one for the Tundra but they took it off their website because they wanted to fine tune it...basically meaning Unichip. But for the kit its like $6500 and then like another $2000 for them to install the kit, gauge, and tune the thing.

As for the ethanol-free gas there is none even close to where i live, so im kind of screwed there :( As for not sinking money in it I have already put $22K in it, so there is NO WAY im going to be getting rid of it.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
They did not make a TRD Supercharger for the 2001 V8...it was only for the 3.4 V6.
Linky
Actually this is wrong. They made the -401 for 2000-2002 and then made the -601
for the 2003-2004. The difference is in 9th vs 10th injectors and the ECU. As posted, they are out there, just need to search.

I have talked to the Toyota dealer down here and they did make one a while ago. But because the v8 engines have very thin piston rods they were destroying the engines. So they stopped making the TRD SC...which totally sucks!!!
Not true. The problem was aggressive members that wanted 8-9PSI boost and/or had
poorly tuned setups. Toyota panicked (long story, believe me) because of warranty issues and decided to pull them. They had hundreds of SC's sitting in a warehouse when they made this decision as a write off. Poor move by TRD...they should have worked to improve it, not back away. Some folks want performance and TRD dropped the ball here IMO. Some folks here have run SC's for years with no problems. The rods are not 500HP+ capable, but, they will hold fine within original design specs, which means 5-6psi and about 400HP for the 4.7 out of the box from factory. Tuning is key here. Want more, upgrade the internals or spend $12-15K+ for a custom short block or similar setup. After that investment or cost, plan on upgrading the drive train as tranny and rearend or those pcs will be destroyed very quick. Expensive to upgrade these Tundras for max power and dependability on these 4.7 setups. Just the way it is.

hi, if you want more power i assume you are going to use more pedal. ..therefore you will not be getting both HP & MORE MPG. you have to pick 1. gorilla
Exactly. You do not get both with the 4.7 generally speaking. Play the HP or MPG game, but, it is so hard to balance both and get it right. They were not designed this way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have more HP you of course are going to use it and im no different. But i was thinking more of freeway travel where you just use the cruise and let it work. Wouldn't a SC or turbo be a big advantage for MPG here?

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
If you have more HP you of course are going to use it and im no different. But i was thinking more of freeway travel where you just use the cruise and let it work. Wouldn't a SC or turbo be a big advantage for MPG here?
For starters, no. You can use 87 octane in your stock setup. Switch to SC, and you need premium 93 as best bet. So, if all MPG were equal, the gas alone would be a cost or in this case, higher cost per mile.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I only run premium gas anyway, but in Utah i guess its just 91 octane, not 93. I do this for my Unichip and i found that it burns a lot cleaner and thus i can run longer on my oil.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, oil should be the least of your cash issues.
i change my oil every 2000 miles.
i don't see any connection between unichip & running cleaner.
but than i don't have a cookie cutter tune.
for i to make the HP & Torque i make, it run's rich.
if thats cleaner,O.K.
i'm not that up to date on this stuff.
i had it all my mod's done by the pro's.
so i'm not sure.

i seen the 6500 turbo, it wasn't made by sts.
if sts makes 1 for 6500, even i'd pass on that.
knowing they never went for that, when they did have a bolt on.
i'd take my tundra & trade it in, for a 2011- 5.7(when available) & install the trd s/c for another 2g's.
or buy a 5.7 2007 & do the same. now you will have more than enough power.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have really been wishing i had more power out of my 01 Tundra V8 but i dont want to put the $8000 that Squires STS Turbo is asking on it, knowing i would have to change out the piston rods anyway. So what would be the best way to get some more power out of it without going turbo? I would like more MPG, but more HP is what i really need.

I have looked at doing an LS1 swap but my stock engine only has 55,600 miles on it so i really don't want to do that.
I have the centrifugal blower kit that I designed and installed on my 01 Tundra. I took it off when I did the LS2 swap. Supercharging a tundra with mild boost will not cause harm to the engine (my truck had over 180,000 miles on it when I did the swap) It operated at 7 or so PSI and made 330 RWHP
The kit is complete with a MAP-ECU2 controller and plug n play patch cable.
PM me or call 828-631-9609 if you want more info.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
My eBay Supercharger is still cook'n after 40,000 trouble free miles....Keep looking!

Attachments

·
7,925 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts