Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hi, all. What can I do to my 2006 Tundra (4X4, Ext. cab, 4.7Litre) to help improve my fuel economy? When I first got the truck (I purchased it new, fyi) it got 13 MPG average from a tank of gas. Now, with 2,200 miles on it, it averages 14 MPG avg. from a tank of gas. The ONLY things I have done to enhance the performance of the pickup is to add a flowmaster muffler (added maybe at 300 miles) and more recently, add a K&N Air Charger model 63-9027.

:) All I did regarding the muffler was just add the Flowmaster in place of the stock muffler and left the resonator in place. The new muffler sounds a lot better in the cab, that's for sure. I was afraid that after I put on the Flowmaster, it would "drone" in-cab, but it doesn't. The K&N Air Charger seems to have helped a little bit in the performance area as well. Also, there is a noticeable difference in the in-cab exhaust note. I know that you can't believe everything you read, but according to Flowmaster, the model of K&N Air Charger I got for my Tundra is supposed to have added an extra 9.54 Horsepower at the rear wheels. Jeezaloo, it sounds mean!

:cool: So, does anyone have any ideas as to what I might do to help my fuel economy and/or performance without breaking the bank (or possibly hurting my warranty) ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
It's going to take a couple of more k's before mileage increases to what will be it's best. I've got 6k on mine now and she's getting around 18mpg on the highway or at least she has on the last 3 tanks which is a major improvement from what it was. I'll never use another k&n filter on anything and plan on leaving the exhaust stock.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The things you can do apply to all vehicles.

First, as Puff says, it will take a few more miles for the motor to break-in and mileage will go up.

Second, simple stuff like clean air filter and properly inflated tires goes a long way. Also, keeping unnecessary weight out of the truck will help.

Third, I use the ScanGauge in my truck, which can show instant fuel economy. By having that feedback, I can adjust my driving to maximize fuel economy.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I agree with the above post eliminate any extra weight, Toyota spent a lot of time and money getting the truck to where it is.
So eliminate every seat in cab sit on a milk crate, remove the bumpers throw spare tire away plus the receiver hitch and any extra metal you can attack with a sawzall. Plus all of that plastic and headliner and carpets gotta go.
That should get the truck down to size and weight of a car which gets pretty good mileage.

But of course none of the above is practical, so keep throwing money at gizmos that report to save money.

Scan guage is a kewl product but I would not be able to constantly monitor it and drive safely down the road.

I'll keep mine in bank paying interest

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hmmmm...Rambush is a bit off base IMO.

On the weight issue, there are people that drive around with a couple hundred extra pounds of cargo that doesn't need to be in there all the time. Most people don't. Weight is also added when you put on bigger, heavier wheels and tires or add on lots of accessories. Of course, not everyone does that. A rule of thumb is that every 100 pounds requires 10 HP to move it.

The scangauge, when mounted properly, poses no additional risk to safe operation. I have mine up on the dash and it poses no more risk to safe operations than using the radio. Using it properly, you'll be able to learn how to work the throttle to get the best economy.

The topic of economy comes up now and then and some folks respond by saying things like, "If you wanted fuel economy, why did you buy a truck?" or "If you can't afford the gas, you can't afford the truck." I think there are folks out there that really believe in "waste not, want not." It has more to do with good stewardship of one's money and of natural resources and less to do with "affording" gas.

Just a couple of thoughts.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
may be off base but I got ya thinkin! :)
Life can't always be serious

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've found carpooling with my wife saves me tons of gas money--even if she rides with me. I don't feel as bad about the fuel economy of the truck when I can let it sit a couple of days a week. Unfortunately, I bought the truck to drive it, my wife doesn't like the morning radio I like, and I don't get my "time" alone.

Buying the gas is an investment in "me time"--always worth it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
How about a tonneau cover

Tonneau cover definitely helps. I picked up approximately 1mpg after installing a soft tonneau. Keeping it at or below 70 also makes a big difference. If I control my lead foot tendencies, I can squeak out 18mpg on the highway.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
I average about 14 mpg and on a long highway trip might get up to 16. But, I'm a mechanic and I carry arround a toolbox full of tools. (several hundred lbs) I'm one of those that will pay the price to have my tools with me. It's one great truck! :tu:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, all. Thanks for the replies. Yeah, that scan Gauge II is pretty cool. I bought one just the other day...I read about it on this forum, in fact.

--PuffnStuff: What kind of fuel economy did you get when you first got your Tundra?

Yeah, I know that any V8 is not very thrifty when it comes to MPG, but when I was only getting 13 MPG max when the window sticker read 16/19, I was just a little disappointed. Currently, it gets 14MPG, but if it stays there, it's no biggie ( I would love 19 MPG, though, haha).

All in all, I would recommend a Tundra to anyone wanting a great pickup in the small V8 class. More Torque than Chevrolet's pickup with the larger 4.8 liter engine, more HP and Tourqe than Dodge's 4.7 and I haven't checked on the other truck makers. I honestly cannot tell that much difference in front interior space compared to my cousin's full size 1997 4x4 Dodge pickup. More than enough room for me in my Tundra and I am 6' 2" tall. Of course, I am talking about a 2006 and not the new 2007's with the available larger 5.7 liter engine.

One last thing. My 2006 Tundra rides like a comfortable car on the highway and does not beat you to death (on AND off road, actually) when driving, haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2006 DC 2WD has just over 6000 miles on it now & my MPG has improved to between 17.5 & 18.5 over the last three tanks of fuel. Also, you have to keep your foot out if it to get the best MPG, but I do love the way it accelerates. I put a tonneau cover on at about 2000 miles & that gained about 1 mpg. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I added a drop-in K&N filter to my 2000 AC 2wd V8 and my city mileage improved from 15.25 to 16.8 The only downside I have heard about K&N filters (thanks to this site) is that they can foul up the mass air flow sensor. Now I spent an extra 5min. when doing an oil change and clean the sensor with electronic contact cleaner, not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Made a 918 mile trip home (north) in DEC 06. Completely stock truck. Average MPH about 75 using cruise. 99% highway. Always using BP Silver (Mid-grade) gas. 14.9 MPG

Added Aeroturbine muffler (just a muffler swap-out) and K&N Drop-in Filter while home.

Drove same 918 mile route in reverse (south) after the holidays with same driving habits stopping at the same gas stations and realized 16.0 MPG.

NOTE: Truck would downshift "violently" when climbing mild grades/hills using cruise on the return trip. I was a bit pissed off. This erratic shifting continued for several days of "city" driving when I was back to my normal drive to/from work. Took out K&N/put back OEM filter and it all stopped. I was very glad it was the filter and not the muffler.

Made the same trip just last week.

918 Mile northbound trip started at 5011 miles. Same gas, same speed and I realized 16.9 MPG

918 Mile return trip. Same gas, same speed etc etc and I realized 16.7 MPG. The first 400ish miles of the return trip was driving partially into the wind (right front quartering wind gusting up to 35 mph!!!)

Here's what I think.

Truck break-in - increased MPG
Aeroturbine Muffler - increased MPG
K&N Drop-in Filter - Decreased MPG & caused erratic shifting (wasted $$$ for this application - truck/exhaust combination)

Other points of interest:

I almost ALWAYS use BP Silver Gas
I switched to Mobil 1 Syn oil at first oil change (roughly at 3000 miles - before the first road trip)

·
Registered
212 Posts
My truck just truned 5000 miles and I saw a gain in MPG. My best so far was the tank after turning 5k and saw 17.5. Im going to keep doing the numbers for awhile longer and see if its consistant.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Mine has just passed the 10,000 mile mark and over the last 10 fills staying in the 14's

14.88, 13.86, 13.27, 13.49, 13.08, 13.14, 14.53, 14.31, 14.17, 14.10

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Could everyone please specify what type of driving (all city, all highway or mixed) you are doing when stating your mileage. :ts:

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Could everyone please specify what type of driving (all city, all highway or mixed) you are doing when stating your mileage. :ts:
Mine generally runs at 40mph around town on cruise control, fairly flat high desert country 3500 ft with lots of wind lately.
Has been some runs to vegas at 70 or so with cruise on plus some I 40 runs at 80 or so.
4x4 dc with shell sorta noisy aggresive tires.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My 2001 with 85K miles has never delivered a tank lower than 15mpg for me. I average 15.8-17mpg with the most common in the low 16s.

Mine is a 2001 V8 4wd and I carry about 70lbs of gear in my toolbox all the time.

My driving is now all city and back roads which gets me inthe low 16s or high 15's but on mixed 20% city and 80% highway trips I get 17ish with no problem.

The mpg for me is very sensitive to tire pressure and engine maintenance intervals.

Steve

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well I can't say my mileage has improved very much after breakin.:rolleyes: 05 Tundra TRD AC 4x4. For about the first 2 thousand miles I could practicaly see the gas gauge moving:eek: then it settled down to about 10 MPG city and 16 highway, now after 20,000 miles I'm still getting the same 10 city and 16 highway, and that's taking it easy. Those figures are summer driving, in winter my mileage is about 3 MPG less than that. I'm thinking about installing JBA headers and a RAPS intake, maybe that will help the mileage a bit, our gas is up to almost $5.00 a gallon here. What pi$$es me off is the new 07 Tundra 5.7 is a bigger truck that weighs 1000 lbs more and has another 100 HP than my 05 does and it is getting the SAME or BETTER mileage than mine does.:mad:

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Well I can't say my mileage has improved very much after breakin.:rolleyes: 05 Tundra TRD AC 4x4. For about the first 2 thousand miles I could practicaly see the gas gauge moving:eek: then it settled down to about 10 MPG city and 16 highway, now after 20,000 miles I'm still getting the same 10 city and 16 highway, and that's taking it easy. Those figures are summer driving, in winter my mileage is about 3 MPG less than that. I'm thinking about installing JBA headers and a RAPS intake, maybe that will help the mileage a bit, our gas is up to almost $5.00 a gallon here. What pi$$es me off is the new 07 Tundra 5.7 is a bigger truck that weighs 1000 lbs more and has another 100 HP than my 05 does and it is getting the SAME or BETTER mileage than mine does.:mad:
Maybe you should switch to Natural gas.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts