Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding a performance muffler to my stock exhaust (2010 DC 4.6), possibly a spintech xl with 2.5 inlets and 3 inch outlet, with probably a new 3 - 3 1/2 inch tip.

Anyone experience performance loss (torque) or gain when installing a less restrictive muffler on the stock system?

Thanks, input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You should stay close to the same or pickup some power. I actually have that same muffler coming in tomorrow. I loved the one on my last truck and did not have a loss of torque and combined with the headers towed a lot better than stock. If you stay with the single out exhaust you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Haven't gotten it installed yet, the muffler shop I use closed up to go to the drag races for the weekend so I'll have it done Monday probably. I did coat it with 2000 Rustoleum ceramic and baked it in the oven so its nice and pretty and durable.

Bill3508

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well got the spintech muffler installed this morning and while everything feels good torque wise I've got a good bit of drone. This truck sounds completely different than my 04 with the same muffler and its much louder also even with the cats in place and the resonator. On acceleration the drone period is very small and quickly dies out but the problem relies on the highway where I have a good bit of cruise drone around 70mph. It drops off at around 73-75. I had some concerns this was going to be there since the overdrive in this truck is so damn high.

So I may try a few things such as removing the resonator completely and/or trying a different resonator and lastly ditching this muffer. I'll tell you one thing the wife won't like it and I've grown out of headache causing drone so we will see. But in stock form just replacing the muffler this is not the one you want if you like no drone.

Bill3508

·
7,925 Posts
Well got the spintech muffler installed this morning and while everything feels good torque wise I've got a good bit of drone. This truck sounds completely different than my 04 with the same muffler and its much louder also even with the cats in place and the resonator. On acceleration the drone period is very small and quickly dies out but the problem relies on the highway where I have a good bit of cruise drone around 70mph. It drops off at around 73-75. I had some concerns this was going to be there since the overdrive in this truck is so damn high.

So I may try a few things such as removing the resonator completely and/or trying a different resonator and lastly ditching this muffer. I'll tell you one thing the wife won't like it and I've grown out of headache causing drone so we will see. But in stock form just replacing the muffler this is not the one you want if you like no drone.

Bill3508
Hey Bill,

You may have some luck with a glass pack in place of or in addition to (if you have the room) the stock resonator.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hey Bill,

You may have some luck with a glass pack in place of or in addition to (if you have the room) the stock resonator.

Yeah, I'm honestly shocked at how different the sound is compared to my 04. This with the JBA headers was the best setup I had ever run in any of the trucks/suv's I've owned. I'm kind of wondering if the stock resonator is not doing my any favors either, so that being the easiest to find out I guess I will remove it first and see. Weird on these trucks anyway how the resonator is not under the cab like the 1st gen trucks.

Thanks for the idea.

Bill3508

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Tinkering with the idea of ordering one of Spintech more aggressive mufflers. The thing is with the deep sound of the Tundra and the deeper sound of the XL muffler is contributing to the drone. The more aggressive mufflers have are less deep and more raspy sounding, similar to the Corsa which folks on here have stated have no drone. Will continue to update if I improve the situation.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
After riding around some the muffler really isn't that bad. Its got a good tone and as mentioned earlier the spot of drone on acceleration dies out very quickly and is only there for a second. The main problem still stands at 70mph on the highway. No real way around that. Probably going to wait until I get headers on to see how the sound changes before I make any other changes.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I went with the AERO XL, factory tailpipie and resonator and a "Y" pipe to get the gases in the muffler. No noticable drone at 70 or 75. You can hear the exhaust when getting on it and with a light load at partial throttle. the 5.7 in my truck seems to like this setup. I haven't noticed any power loss and my milage has increased. I think the mileage increase is due to the truck finally getting broke in (10,400 miles).

I like the sound as it is not extremly obvious that ther is a muffler on my truck.

My father in law has the same truck (08) and is stock, his mileage is abit higher but he drives like an old lady.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i have the MBRP dual exhaust and their mufflers are VERY similar to glass packed... i can't say to a big difference in feel (maybe a slight loss of torque at low rpms), but the sound is a world of difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '06 w/ a 4.0, V-6 = Put cat back duals on. Seems to have hurt my power and my MPG = I disconnected the battery so the 'puter would go to stock settings and P/U the dual exhaust. = No help. = Any suggestions????
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yeah, duals are way too much for a V6 and a heavy truck in general with a v6 doesn't have a lot of low end torque and you just killed most of yours with the exhaust. Change it back to a single outlet 2.25" exhaust or whatever size the stock piping is.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Do not increase the piping size at all on the 4.6.

The 4.6 and 5.7 trucks use the same exact exhaust pipes. So clearly even the factory pipes are too large for a 4.6L truck to make good low end power. I've modified many exhaust systems on different v8s and I am fully confident that reducing the tailpipe to a single 2.5 inch pipe will cause an increase in low end and help the 4.6 from shifting so much on the freeway. As soon as a faulty repair issue is corrected on my truck I will be doing this on my 4.6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts