Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I wanted to get some consolidated input on some of the following modifications preferably with soem actual research behind it. Does it actually benefit you to do any of the following:

Flowmaster Exhaust
K&N Filter
K&N Air Intake
Cross-Drilled Rotors.

I am not into "cool" but if it does make the engine more efficient I would be interested. I travel some for work and want the truck to perform best on the highway.

On a side note my check engine light came on and it is an o2 sensor at 65k miles on a 2002. I heard there is some sort of extended warranty/recall for this item. Does anyone have a link that can prove this?

Thanks in advance!

:ts:

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Hi All,

I wanted to get some consolidated input on some of the following modifications preferably with soem actual research behind it. Does it actually benefit you to do any of the following:

Flowmaster Exhaust
K&N Filter
K&N Air Intake
Cross-Drilled Rotors.

I am not into "cool" but if it does make the engine more efficient I would be interested. I travel some for work and want the truck to perform best on the highway.

On a side note my check engine light came on and it is an o2 sensor at 65k miles on a 2002. I heard there is some sort of extended warranty/recall for this item. Does anyone have a link that can prove this?

Thanks in advance!

Intakes don't do much for Tundras. The engines are so finely tuned from the factory that is it hard to get much more out of them with inexpensive add-ons. You'd do better to take the money and put it towards a good set of headers, and then add the Flowmaster to round it all out. As for the K&N filter, some folks report actually losing power with them. Stick to a stock filter.

If you must upgrade your brakes on the Cheap, go with slotted rotors. Do not replace your stock rotors with cross drilled rotors. They have less mass than solid rotors and actually decrease your stopping ability. If anything, invest in a Big Brake kit, and possibly go with rear disks as well. But you are looking at about $3000 to upgrade brakes on all four corners

Yes, the warranty on the O2 sensors should cover your vehicle. Just contact your local Toyota dealer; they should know about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Billy. What headers do you recommend and what do they provide in the way of efficiency?

On a side note I like your truck, where did you get that grill? I also want to trade out the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ 265/75r16 and MT Classic Lock tries and rims I have for a more stock rim and Michelin tires if you know anyone who is into the MT stuff.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Thanks Billy. What headers do you recommend and what do they provide in the way of efficiency?

On a side note I like your truck, where did you get that grill? I also want to trade out the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ 265/75r16 and MT Classic Lock tries and rims I have for a more stock rim and Michelin tires if you know anyone who is into the MT stuff.

:cool:
I don't have headers yet, but I will probably go with JBAs. There are different opinions of course, but the buzz on TundraSolutions is that they seem to be the most popular.

My grill is an Ivan Stewart TRD grill. I bought it from another TS'er. They are hard to find.

Can't help you with the tires.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hi All,

Flowmaster Exhaust
K&N Filter
K&N Air Intake
Cross-Drilled Rotors.

Thanks in advance!

check out the trueflow intake and look at going with a magnaflow muffler welded in place of the stock one. I have this setup and its great. The trueflow works very well, and you will be amazed by its filtering quality compared to anything else.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Flowmaster Exhaust :tu: ---for sound only. You won't really gain power
K&N Filter :td:
K&N Air Intake:td: :td:
Cross-Drilled Rotors. :tu: :td: Might help might not. Just clean adjust your back brakes.
I have a K&N intake and on a hot day it SUCKS!!! And when I say it sucks, I mean it sucks all of the hot air in from the engine bay. Also the K&N filter is crap. My oil used to look a lot better when I had a stock filter. I use Mobil 1 and it still is great when it comes out, but the K&N lets so much dirt through the oil is darker than it should be.

Stay stock or get at least a true flow filter. I just ordered a universal true flow cone filter to go on my K&N intake. I got tired of having a crappy filter.

JBA's are probably the best headers you can get. If you are on a budget the SSautochrome seem to perform nearly just as well for about half the price. They also are made of a a different stainless steel and don't tend to rust like the JBA's do. Do some quick searches and you'll find great info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what about the TRD air filter, it looks like a K&N Knockoff to me. Should I just stick with paper filters?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
So what about the TRD air filter, it looks like a K&N Knockoff to me. Should I just stick with paper filters?
Yeah I'd stick with paper. But if you want to buy anything, i would get a trueflow.

A replacement muffler won't really do to much except for sound. So your best bet is to get any muffler you like have it welded in place of the stock muffler, get some JBA or SSautochrome headers for some added kick, maybe the underdrive pulley if you'd like, and stock intake (possibly trueflow)

All of that should give you a little money and not hurt your mileage.

·
Registered
910 Posts
IMO...don't bother with performance mods, even headers. If you're stock manifolds pop a leak and you can't find used take-offs, then think about headers. The gains just aren't worth the money. Change your muffler to get a different sound. Performance wise, I've tried all that stuff and it's just not worth it....IMO. Of course, this is coming from a guy that's had fast cars and bikes and doesn't get exited about a 20hp gain on a 5,000 pound truck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe all these mods do nothing but give you some "cool." I appreciate all the input and actually enjoy the sound of the stock exhaust. I am simply going to put "better" tires on the truck for traveling. Thanks for all the opinions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In reference to the items below my vehicle did fall into the correct production dates to have the O2 sensor replaced under the "enhancement." I also fouind that it needed the Ball joint recall work done. Toyota of Knoxville knocked it all out in about two hours, fantastic!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I believe all these mods do nothing but give you some "cool." I appreciate all the input and actually enjoy the sound of the stock exhaust. I am simply going to put "better" tires on the truck for traveling. Thanks for all the opinions.
Good plan :tu:

Toyota did a really good job with this truck when it comes to efficiency. Some great highway tires will really help your mileage too. Other than that...it is mostly just expensive customizing :cool:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used the TRD filter for several thousand miles. Didn't notice any difference in performance or mileage, initially. Then my mileage began to drop dramatically. I replaced the filter with stock and cleaned the MAF sensor and mileage has improved. Other than the adavantage that you can use it forever, they are a waste of money, IMHO.
As for headers, they will improve performance and mileage a little(If you can keep your foot off the floor), but the savings in mileage will never overcome the initial expense.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got a set of 17" stock rims the tires arent that great but ill trade ya.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi All,

Flowmaster Exhaust
K&N Filter
K&N Air Intake
Cross-Drilled Rotors.

For the most part those mods are more for 'cool' than they are for actual street performance. The best thing for fuel mileage is a light foot and a well maintained engine.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Hi All,

Flowmaster Exhaust
K&N Filter
K&N Air Intake
Cross-Drilled Rotors.

Thanks in advance!

Flowmaster has too much drone in the cab at 2000-2300 rpm
K&N air filter lets in as much dirt as it does air
K&N intake is the ultimate low end torque killer and see above
Cross drilled rotors work on a high performance car but you'll see little change

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all, I will just get some better tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts