Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between PIAA 520's or KC Daylighter 100w light. I'm getting three to mount on my Defiant light bar. Paul at Defiant said the 3 KC 100w lights will kill my alternator. Are any of you running three KC's? I just want to know if in fact these lights will kill my alternator. Is there an alternate way to run 3 KC's without putting that much strain on the alternator? Paul did recommend the PIAA 520's. But I'm not sure I like the black. I wanted to go old school with stainless steel KC Daylighters. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
567 Posts
your going to drawing about 300 watts which shouldn't be a problem i know several people on here running well over 1000 watt stereos without problems, i have 2 and see any extra drain when there on. i have 4 on my work truck but thats a f250. im a fan of kc's though, they have never let me down.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i have had both. although the KC's were long time ago. unless they make the better now, personaly i would go with piaa. i have made them now for approx. 5years, zero issue's, the chrome is still mint, they work perfectly.

i have the chrome ion fog's with chrome rock guards. they can be seen in the double cab thread, page #2,(gorilla's tundra). i think mine are 525's. i had them professional installed.
i saw what was included in the box, and said no way would i try this.
well worth the money.
my kc's bulbs went out, water used to get in them, and they rusted. also KC you have the option to buy the covers, unless they now come with them, no rock guards either at the time.
both will light up the road, for sure.
it's your ride, do whatever you think,
gorilla

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just took a quick look at the PIAA 520 it it was listed as a 85 Watt bulb (the one I looked at anyway) so not a huge power savings over the KC's. So if they are telling you the KC's will kill your alternater, the PIAA's won't be far behind that. 300 watt total load with the KC's, 255 with the PIAA's.

If your worried about your alternater you might want to look into 3, 50 Watt lights instead. Obviously not the light output of the 100 Watt but less load on the system.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, what alternator do you have?
what audio do you have?
and other accessory's?
if you have a 130amp alternator, your fine.
i run a 150amp. alt.
but i also run:
1800+ rms, & piaa light, and 8500x50/blue, g-tech RR,& a scanguage2 3.15 w/x-guage, OEM driving light's also.
but i run a dual battery set up if you didn't you could never run 1800+true rms.
many people have amp's that say 2000amps, there rms is 180amps. please, thats BS!
i'm sure there is more that i have running, but you see what i can do.
you just need to know what alt amp's you have.
it's not a big deal.
gorilla

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just running the stock alternator in the '04 DCAB. I've got no additional electrics, other than the DVD player option from Toyota in the headliner. I spoke with my buddy who is the head mechanic at Tysons Koons Toyota, and he said I could run 300w just fine with the stock amp. He said the stock in the truck puts out 90amps, but after reading Gorillas post, that doesn't sound like much.. what do you think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts