Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody with the PIAA Fog Light Kit (like the one sold by TRDSparks) have any issues in terms of either installation or usability? I wanted to get the fog light kit from the guy from Tundrapart, but he isn't very responsive... I think he checks his email maybe once a week if that and I can't get through by calling. Just wondered if the PIAA kit was a good one or not...

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
My installation took over 8 hours by a professional who claimed to have installed several fog light kits to vehicles for several years. I cut out the back of the factory black fillers for a tighter fit plus they don't require screws that show. I have to trouble shoot my driver's side to see why it is not working; could be an installation thing or the light itself. Truthfully, I wish that I would have just ordered them on the truck or went through the dealership; yes, it would be more expensive to do it factory style but easier as far as the hassle I have gone through having someone install them and now dealing with one that is not functioning.......

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My installation took over 8 hours by a professional who claimed to have installed several fog light kits to vehicles for several years. I cut out the back of the factory black fillers for a tighter fit plus they don't require screws that show. I have to trouble shoot my driver's side to see why it is not working; could be an installation thing or the light itself. Truthfully, I wish that I would have just ordered them on the truck or went through the dealership; yes, it would be more expensive to do it factory style but easier as far as the hassle I have gone through having someone install them and now dealing with one that is not functioning.......
Tigerking, so sorry to heat that man... it must be frustrating to have to deal with that. I wanted to go OEM, but the kit for those runs closer to $600... that's a lot for just fog lights. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be a lot of after-market alternatives that actually work well. The kit from Tundrapart seems to be decent, but I just know nothing about the guy and am not sure whether it is reliable or even if it is a good fit. A couple of people had good experiences, but that seems to be a while ago, not so much now...
Again, thanks for your input, I'll take it into consideration and look for some other alternatives if I can find any...

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I saw that a while ago and completely forgot about it! Thanks for posting it! I had forgotten where the added info was put. I'm wondering if there is a place that sells an actual switch/relay combo that will look stock on our trucks without costing big $$. That is the real "weak link" in getting a lot of these after-market units...

·
Registered
54 Posts
you can buy a set of piaa 540's and modify the opening for them to fit in the non oem fog light cover(blanks). I Think they look better than the piaa tundra specific kits. It's cheaper and a lot easier to do as well. Here's a pic of my old truck.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pics guys... I've been doing a lot of searching and it seems to me that there are a lot of good fog light / driving light kits that would work well on the Tundra for a LOT less than the standard kits shown specifically for the Tundra. I may opt for doing a Tundra-specific kit for the fog lights where the inserts are and opt for driving lights for the bull bar. So far though, without a doubt, the biggest PITA is finding anybody that will provide a standard OEM-sized on/off switch. I just can't believe how utterly frustrating this part of the process has been. Even the eBay sellers don't know if they will fit and ask to "measure". Well, I've been around long enough to know that measuring does not necessarily mean much. Even if they measure correctly, that could still mean that something on the under-side of the switch or switch hole could prevent it from a proper fit without the use of a dremmel...
In any case, I'll probably just deal with that later and get the other kit(s) as needed... hopefully the wiring won't be difficult...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts