Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to upgrade my headlight bulbs in my truck with the PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs but at 70 bucks a set i wanted to see if anybody uses them and what they think about them. I have had Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in it till they burned out:sad3d:. Would i see an improvement getting the PIAA or should i stick whith what i got? I know alot of yall guy are gonna say switch over to the HID but im not sure if i want to start doin all that yet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have had both and I liked the PIAA better. Got mine off eBay from a vendor in Japan for a lot less than $70, I think it was $50 for the pair with shipping.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i have a set of ion fog piaaa. you can see my tundra on the double cab thread i think page 2.
it's was a picture from the 2007 south florida tundra solutions meet/show.
i can honestly say. i have had them on for 5 years & it still has the original bulbs.
if that means anything.
bright, they light up the road, and they are fog light's. they can blind you.
so what i heard from driver's in front of me. ;-)
gorilla

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have had the PIAAs for 2 years now and I like them. Much brighter than stock and they don't seem to burn out very often.

Incidentally, I bought PIAA windshield wipers at the same time and they too are still in great shape.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had better luck with Silverstars. My PIAA's lasted about 8 months. Prior to my retrofit, I was running two years on my Silverstars.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Are the PIAA's a brighter kelvin rating than the SilverStars? I'm just wondering if it's in the 41k range, or something similar? I've had great luck with the normal SilverStar's, but the Ultra's I've heard burn out quicker. If mine go out, I was going to try the PIAA.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I have PIAA's top and bottom (fogs) for a couple of years and happy with them.

Like some others, debating whether the HID setups are worth the trouble, especially
with the low miles per year I actually need lights.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the PIAA are worth it, does anybody know where the best deal for them are at. Tirerack has them for $64 for the hi/lo and $75 for the fog bulbs.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
From what Ive read you should look into Osram nightbreakers....the Piaa bulbs have a dark coating and the entire capsule is coated. The nightbreakers are lightly coated and its not coated at all around the filament.

Also check out Philips XP bulbs, theyre supposed to be bright too.

Blue coated 'extra white' (Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue, Philips BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra, which is just a rebrand of the Silverstar product, also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, etc):
1380 lumens, 250 hours

Plus-80/90 Mega High Efficacy (Philips Xtreme Power, Osram Night Breaker):
1780 lumens, 340 hours

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I have had PIAA in my 2001 since 2002 and still going good. I don,t drive a lot of night time but still after 8 years that should say something about them! Hard to judge but i would say about 2 times as brite as stock headlights. I got them at the Toyota parts counter where i purchesed my tundra in 2001.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts