Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new set of PIAA driving lights mounted to a Westin bull bar. I am going to use a 3 way switch so that in the first position, the lights can be turned on at any time. In the second position, the lights will be shut off and in the third position, the lights will only come on with the high beams. I know this question has been asked before and i tried to find the answer. What wire do you use as the trigger wire for the relay? There must be someone who has their driving lights tied to the high beam circuit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Here's my guess...... Run a line from the battery to your switch position of "on all the time", then ground the "Off", then run a trigger line from the positive side of your high-beams to the relay that is tied to your "high-beams only" position on the switch.

Good luck.....

·
Registered
150 Posts
do you have the Daytime running lights activated? if so pull that bulb out of the housing and then out of the socket, get a continuity tester and test which wire is the hot one by putting one end of the probe on one side of the socket and touch a metal body member with the other probe. If the bulb lights then you have the hot wire (while the ignition is on)
Use a wire tap (blue or gray plastic thingy that came with the piaa's) on this lead to power your switch. That way anytime your truck is on you have power at the switch.
I hope that makes sense

Good luck..

·
Registered
54 Posts
just run the relay trigger wire lead to the hot side of the high beam at the light bulb socket and use a relay to isolate it from the first position of the switch. I hope this makes sense!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well i didnt do no three position switch...i saw no need for it. i have my lights wired to a relay triggered from the high beams and i just tapped into the positive wire for it. 3 seconds with a test light found it at the headlamp housing. if i leave the switch in the on position they come on when i hit the highs...if i leave it off, they come on when the highs are on and i turn them on. i saw no need to have my off road lights come on w/o my highs...if i need light i need light and alot of it haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts