Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the 1st Gen Tundra Board as well but thought you might be interested.

Here is what I Tow with my 2005 Dbl Cab 4x4 Tundra TRD.

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Have you ever taken it to the scales?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I bet that gets exciting in cross winds.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wanna bring this one back.

2007 FS2500 (Front Sleeper 25') Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler. Fits a rhino and two dirt bikes not to mention everything else you could possibly want on a camping trip. I lifted it when I had a big huge GMC I pulled it with. But the lift is nice when trying to get back into tight spots.
IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
P7112186.jpg

P7122246.jpg

I have a 2007 Tundra and was towing a Jaco 23B hybrid (4000 lbs) no problem. This past summer I upgraded to a 2009 Sprinter 31 BHS. I was a little worried at first, but knew we would be sticking fairly close to home with it (within a couple hrs.) I had to travel from Nova Scotia to Pittsburgh for it. So returning home with the trailer was about 1200 miles. Anyway the new trailer weighed 8200lbs dry and the truck performed wonderfully. It got a little windy closer to home and I could feel it, But I would have felt that using anything to pull it. We used the trailer all summer and I weighed it full at around 8700lbs (our camping gear no fluids). The truck has the power of a 3/4 tonn, but in a 1/2 tonn body. After returning home I did install the rubber blocks to help with the weight. anyway any questions or comments would love to hear them.
Wolfy

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here is what we tow.
And it tow's it very well.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
here is what i just picked up this weekend
2004 keystone springdale

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay...now I have to post my pic.....Keystone Cougar SRX310
Notice...side door load in back. I throw the Harley Ultra Classic in there....

·
Registered
279 Posts
How do you guys get away towing fifth wheels? The hitch weight alone kills it for me and I am looking at models with 1100-1300 pounds of hitch weight. After loading up family and gear, I am way over the cargo amount....

I guess I need to research 5er's a bit better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2008 Fun Finder XT200 pulled by an '03 Tundra with TRD package. Still haven't completely figured out how to get rid of the "squat" on the tow vehicle but almost have it licked. This photo was taken prior to adjustments that made things much better. Love the trailer...use the toy hauler to bring a small jon boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Recently towed my fiancee's 2005 Saturn Ion 1200 miles from Missouri to Arizona. I've only had the truck for about a month now and I am very impressed with the truck. I'm guessing the trailer w/ the car was around 6000lbs and truck sat perfectly level. I didn't get a picture of it, but there was still about 4" of room between the bump stop and the frame after the car was loaded. Held between 3000-3200rpm at 70mph the entire way home.......I was passing big rigs going uphill.....although the 10mpg sucked! I love this truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
How do you guys get away towing fifth wheels? The hitch weight alone kills it for me and I am looking at models with 1100-1300 pounds of hitch weight. After loading up family and gear, I am way over the cargo amount....

I guess I need to research 5er's a bit better.
Take a look at my '5th wheel actual weight's' post in this towing section, and you'll see that my 1250lb pin weight is within GAWR of the truck, and well within GCWR. The trailer was weighed mostly loaded for camping. Not dry or ULVW. The ULVW or dry weight of my trailer is listed at 6250, and ended up at 7500 mostly loaded.

It's not hard to go over the listed payload of the truck, or ANY truck for that matter. It's important for you to know that you should be looking at the GAWR ( in the camper section of the manual) for a 5th wheel, and not the payload listed. The reason the payload is listed, is because the truck comes with crappy car tires and no extra spring capacity. You add 10-ply tires and some airbags, and IMO you just increased the capacity of the truck.
If you look at some more posts here, you'll find this truck is 3/4 ton built,with 1/2 ton rear springs.

For your info: the GAWR in the manual shows the truck capable of 4100 lbs front axle, and 4100 rear on a 4x4 DC SR5 with the 5.7L. It is recomended to not exceed these ratings.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts