Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove 220 miles each way with a slight tail wind going and then added a new snugtop and gained 2.2 miles per gallon with a slight head wind on the return trip! This was figured with actual fuel in and fuel used. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Drove 220 miles each way with a slight tail wind going and then added a new snugtop and gained 2.2 miles per gallon with a slight head wind on the return trip! This was figured with actual fuel in and fuel used. :)
I am hoping for similar results with my access tonneau cover :tu:

·
Banned
888 Posts
Myth-busters did a show on the tailgate down for better fuel mileage etc,etc it was pretty cool seeing them bust another longstanding Urban-Legend :tu:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Myth-busters did a show on the tailgate down for better fuel mileage etc,etc it was pretty cool seeing them bust another longstanding Urban-Legend :tu:
Yup, I saw both those episodes...hmmmm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
548 Posts
saw it. to bad its not accurate since they used different trucks, same model but who cares. every car/truck will get diff gas mileage. i am sure the mileage on the trucks was not the same, oil change/viscosity not the same, tire preesure not the same, alignment not the same, tire and tire tread depth not the same, maybe one had syn diff dluid, and the other didnt, etc, etc.
if they used the same truck twice, i would be more apt to beleive the results. very surprised myth busters hung themselves on this one, its just not accurate.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
saw it. to bad its not accurate since they used different trucks, same model but who cares. every car/truck will get diff gas mileage. i am sure the mileage on the trucks was not the same, oil change/viscosity not the same, tire preesure not the same, alignment not the same, tire and tire tread depth not the same, maybe one had syn diff dluid, and the other didnt, etc, etc.
if they used the same truck twice, i would be more apt to beleive the results. very surprised myth busters hung themselves on this one, its just not accurate.
Except that they redid the test in a "Myths Revisited" episode and here are the results useing only 1 truck.

It's just too bad they never tested it with a canopy.:(

The Myth: Tail Gate Up or Down.
In this continuation of the original myth, the guys test whether it is more efficient to:
1) take the tailgate off
2) replace it with a mesh tailgate
3) cover the back of the pickup with a tonneau cover
4) keep the tailgate up
5) put the tailgate down

The Action/ Results: They hook up a flow meter to Jamie's pick-up to test how much fuel is being used in each test. They also decide to use a straight, 5-mile stretch of highway for each test.

Test 1 & 2: This time they just try to re-confirm their original tests for tailgate up or down. Tail gate down uses 5.2 gallons per hour at 55mph and 1.2 gallons per hour at 25mph. Next they test tail gate down and it uses 5.0 gallons per hour at 55mph. At 25mph they don’t say the reading but it confirms their original results.

Test 3: This time they test the fuel efficiency of the tonneau cover. It clocks in at 1.2 gallons per hour at 25 mph and 5.0 gallons per hour at 55mph.

Test 4: Then they test the efficiency of the tailgate mesh. They didn't reveal the results but Adam said the mesh was an improvement of 5% over all the other methods.

Test 5: This time they test the efficiency of no tailgate at all. They didn't reveal the results for this but said it was roughly the same as the others except mesh.

The mesh won in the end at an improvement of almost 5% over the other methods.
Original Myth – Re-Confirmed
The myth that the tailgate mesh improves your fuel efficiency; Confirmed
Taking the tailgate off: Busted

·
Registered
548 Posts
i didnt see that one, but still sounds inaccurate to me. Taking off the tailgate doesnt work, but adding a mesh net improves mileage? COme on. How did they accelerate the truck, humanly or using another method?
5 miles is not long enough to tell anyway. wind direction during tests? temperature during tests? was everything exactly the same?
as diff fluid and engine gets up to temp, things will improve. i still call b****, sorry. until i see how they did it, i cant believe it is accurate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts