Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got pics of their painted bumpers other than black or white? I want to see how close the color matches are. Saw one that someone did on their slate but didn't match well at all - I think they used rattle cans though.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Click on my avartar to make it bigger Sky silver bumpers and door handels.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Will paint hold up over time on a chrome bumper? I would think that it would peel/chip rather easily. My front bumper is already color matched, but I wouldn't mind painting the chrome rear bumper (body shop of course).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Click on my avartar to make it bigger Sky silver bumpers and door handels.
Hows the paint holding up? Do you know what type of prep was done to the bumper before paint?

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I imagine it would be much more costly, but ever considered doing color match line-x? If I had the money I would go that route. I just don't think that painted chrome bumpers will hold up over time. Sorry I know thats not the info you were looking for. Hopefully someone can chime in that has had the paint done.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting my rear bumper replaced due to some douche hitting in a parking lot and running. Rear bumpers don't take much abuse unless you back into a lot of things, and if you do, paint is easier to fix than chrome. My front is already body color (Limited) so I think body color on the rear will look the best.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Mine was painted 3 years ago and no chips color match to me is perfect. Sanded wit 180, 220, 400 wet sand etched primed and painted. There was a step where they sprayed liquid bondo on before they wet sanded.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I'm not sure why the metal part has anything to do with it.

If the prep is done properly, then it's just paint on primer like any other body part. Should have no issues with matching, beyond the fact that you are trying to match new paint to old paint.

My bumpers were sanded, sprayed with etching primer, then sprayed. No problems beyond a few rock chips. Otherwise it looked OEM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts