Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of the AVIC installed in my 2006 Tacoma. Looks pretty good with the matching dash kit. Notice how you can change the color of the buttons to match your truck's interior lights. It does sit back a little in the dash, but I haven't found that to be a problem at all. It can let you put a faceplate over it if you wish a lot easier too.

Overall, love it - XM with NavTraffic, bluetooth for my phone, Navigation, Plays DVDs and MP3 disks, and a Vehicle Analyzer (g-force, slope, voltage, speed...) all for under a $1200 from Crutchfield with the pioneer deal promo.

Also, I was able to get XMradio for $77/year with the promo code XMSCION03. I had to call and tell the lady. She also put the NavTraffic on for $3.99 a month, so for a year it was a little over a $100. That's around half off!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks great!!! Were you able to keep your steering wheel controls? I know there is an interphase for that stereo but I don't know if it will work with the Tacoma.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Off-Road package, so it didn't come with steering wheel controls. However, Crutchfield does sell a module that lets you keep use of your steering wheel controls for those of you with the Sport package. Thanks, it works really well, the navigation even picked up an off road area in the Mojave where I went dirt biking today. Afterwards I did a search for Carwashes and found one to rinse the bike off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks Great! How is the memory function on the NAV system...this is my only concern I just want to make sure that I can play a cd and still have the nav work...looks great in your truck and great price!:tu:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The memory function works pretty well. It takes a coridor of your route 12 miles wide if it is under 70 miles, and 6 wide if it is over...something close to that, it's in the manual. It's not a hassel at all for me.

Override for Nav input and DVD playback is very easy. It's posted on AVIC411.com :: Index with pics and instructions. You move one wire and ground that and the parking brake - simple. It changes colors to match your dash colors, so mine is set to amber.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I like it to be known that I hate you...I have a D1...actually had one of the first installs when there weren't dash kits. With that being said, I wish I had a D3, its so much nicer than my D1 is and it has ipod controls that actually work.

Great stereo and a great install. GRATZ2uSIR

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, thanks. Actually if you order now from Crutchfield, they are throwing in the Pioneer backup camera for free. I called and asked them about it since I already bought my AVIC and they are still going to send me a free one. Totally awesome deal.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
That looks great - I want one. I just checked at Crutchfield though and it is out of stock with no projected ship date - they do still list the free backup camera though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought mine from Crutchfield Monday morning and it was listed as out of stock. Got an email on Tuesday that it was shipped. Tracking number says it should be here today. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An updated pic during the day. Good luck on the install, it's not too hard, just takes some time.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Crutchfield is sending me the latest Pioneer one, it's part of the deal they have going. I'm still waiting on it, it was backordered for awhile. I'm not sure where it's going to go yet, kinda curious about that myself. I'll post pics once I get it and mount it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crutchfield is sending me the latest Pioneer one, it's part of the deal they have going. I'm still waiting on it, it was backordered for awhile. I'm not sure where it's going to go yet, kinda curious about that myself. I'll post pics once I get it and mount it up.
Hello All. I just signed up since I am finding so much useful info on this forum. My wife has a 2006 Solara SE Sport and my dad has a 2006 Tacoma Access Cab TRD. I do not have a toyota yet but only time can tell.

Anyway...my dad just purchased a AVIC-D3 from Crutchfield and I helped install it last weekend. We hooked everything up: backup camera, gps antenna, xm antenna, reverse wire input, and vss wire input. We put the xm receiver and backup camera controller in the space behind and above the radio. Got the radio installed with the factory brackets and mounted it in the truck.

I have questions about the trim plate. The one from crutchfield does not fit correctly. The radio front angle is not in the same plane as the dash. The radio extends about 1/4" too far and the trim plate does not fit. What trim plate did you guys use.

I called crutchfield support and they said to trim the plate to fit. Has anybody else had this issue?

Tha factory radio is the non-jbl with 6 cd in-dash.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How/where did you run the antenna for the gps? Also, since you added the XM, did you have to run 2 antennas?

Thanks.
I have same setup on my 07 DC. You have to run 2 antennas. I have my XM on the roof and GPS on top and center of dash. PM me if you need picture. I did not installed it myself. I had it professional install.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts