Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally picked up my pop-up camper today for my Tundra. It is a Hallmark Milner MX. I am very stoked, planning to do alot of camping in this unit!! I will be posting more pics in my gallery soon if you'd care to see it with the top up and some interior shots too!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
That looks nice:cool: , maybe ill see it round town. Is it noticably top heavy or not? The one I had on my last truck was a little top heavy but I got used to it. Would love to see the inside and top up

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
How come nobody ever posts pics of the interior? How about showing us pics of the kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bathroom? :ts:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks nice:cool: , maybe ill see it round town. Is it noticably top heavy or not? The one I had on my last truck was a little top heavy but I got used to it. Would love to see the inside and top up
I am not noticing it being top heavy. True test will be when I go to Wyoming. That stretch between Cheyenne and Wheatland has some of the worst wind I have ever experienced. As requested, I have put a bunch of pics in my photo gallery of the interior and the top raised! Here is a couple to get ya started!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Very cool!...OK
Let's get the party started!

Can you give us a ball-park of what it takes to outfit one's truck like that?
How easy is it to attach/detach?
Are there...ahem...facilities?
:ts:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool!...OK
Let's get the party started!

Can you give us a ball-park of what it takes to outfit one's truck like that?
How easy is it to attach/detach?
Are there...ahem...facilities?
:ts:
They do make them with a toilet and shower but this one does not have either. Only modifications to the truck were "Super Springs" to assist the rear suspension with the added weight (1370 lbs.) and the tiedowns which are bolted to the front of the truck bed. I have not had the opportunity to take it off yet or put it on but should be relatively simple. I had a pop-up on my old tacoma and it was usually about a 15 minute procedure to load and unload the camper to the truck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
They do make them with a toilet and shower but this one does not have either. Only modifications to the truck were "Super Springs" to assist the rear suspension with the added weight (1370 lbs.) and the tiedowns which are bolted to the front of the truck bed. I have not had the opportunity to take it off yet or put it on but should be relatively simple. I had a pop-up on my old tacoma and it was usually about a 15 minute procedure to load and unload the camper to the truck.
Do the Super Springs stiffen the ride when the camper is not on?

Fine looking unit. :D:tu:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do the Super Springs stiffen the ride when the camper is not on?

Fine looking unit. :D:tu:
The claim that they do not. I have not had a chance yet to test this theory, but after reading customer testimonials on their website, sounds like factory ride is retained when not loaded. Here is their website if your interested SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers

·
Registered
145 Posts
The claim that they do not. I have not had a chance yet to test this theory, but after reading customer testimonials on their website, sounds like factory ride is retained when not loaded. Here is their website if your interested SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers
Wow, these seem like a pretty nice upgrade for the money. I noticed that the same springs fit every Tundra including ours. I would have thought that the '07s would have had different ones.

In the diagrams on the website, I don't see how these can hurt the ride. It looks like the Super Springs just sit there waiting for the time to "spring" into action. :D Certainly a nice upgrade for you needs and they look to be doing their job. :tu:

Did you install them yourself?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, these seem like a pretty nice upgrade for the money. I noticed that the same springs fit every Tundra including ours. I would have thought that the '07s would have had different ones.

In the diagrams on the website, I don't see how these can hurt the ride. It looks like the Super Springs just sit there waiting for the time to "spring" into action. :D Certainly a nice upgrade for you needs and they look to be doing their job. :tu:

Did you install them yourself?
No the camper dealer put them on but I was able to watch him and it was a very simple install. No special tools needed and he put them on in about a half an hour by himself.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Que Mucho?! for everything installed?
My out the door was $16,500. That was with all mounting hardware, tie downs, super springs, rear awning option, and roof rack option. That was RV show pricing however. I think the camper lists at around $17,995 installed without the awning and roof rack.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks lke a nifty unit. could you please show some pics from the rear and side with the roof up and down. Back door open and closed.
Many Thanks :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks lke a nifty unit. could you please show some pics from the rear and side with the roof up and down. Back door open and closed.
Many Thanks :D
Here is a couple

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Very cool rig

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Very nice. And nice pics too. Thanks for sharing.

It seems the main drawback to a bed-installed camper is that you have very little weight capacity left for gear or passengers in the truck, plus not much space left to haul things like clothes, food, tools, etc. It would also be tough to camp anywhere other than campgrounds since you don't have a toilet or shower and I assume the water tank doesn't hold that much. Curious why you just didn't get a standard tow-behind camper? They have more room and are self-sufficient, plus you can still use the bed for gear. Prices seem to be in the same ballpark as what you paid so I am curious what the advantages are to the bed-installed model.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I literally know nothing about these campers, but it looks good inside and out! I just wanted to know what the reasoning was with getting one that sits in the bed as opposed to one that you can tow behind you. Is it "bang for the buck" or are there other reasons for it? Again, I haven't a clue about this stuff, just curious that's all! It gave me some ideas for camping! :D:D:D

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I have a trailer. I can not tow a boat. Actually I can not tow anything other then what I put on my trailer. Well I can pretty much put anything on my trailer except a boat or a low vehicle. Camper's are easier to store. You do not need to heed the 55 speed limit (California) because you are not towing so you can do the actual speed limit and use any lane not just the right 2 like you would when towing. He can actually go to places I could not towing my trailer because he has more ground clearnace and it is hard towing a LONG, LOW trailer places. So maybe he wants to go out to the beach in Mexico. I would have a hard time doing that pulling a trailer. They do not travel through sand to well. A camper is a good idea for a simple way to camp out of the elements. Some people have never towed a trailer and they could jump in his truck and drive it like a normal truck.

A trailer offers more space, Storage, and tank capacities but you can get farther away from the crowds and into the wilderness more in a camper. And when you are camping who needs facilities. If you are far enough out there are plenty of places to use. remember to Bury don't burn:tu: He could very easily hook up an outdoor shower or even get one of the black bottom bags to have the sun wamr the water for an outdoor shower. Just put some hooks and you can put up a shower curtain once at the campsite and shower out side.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 23ft travel trailer and could see the advantage of your type of camper. I would love to have a bassboat behind the truck when I go camping, but I cannot do that when I am towing the travel trailer. When my kids get older I may get rid of the trailer and get a camper like you have. I could see my wife and me going places with the bass boat.

Different tools for different applications is all that amounts to.

Happy camping!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts