Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story made short, 2002 S/Cquoia has a shorted Crankshaft Position Sensor cable. When pulling the ECU, the Piggyback ECU was removed as well.

Now when installing the TRD Piggyback ECU it appears one of the three connectors is missing...? :surprise:

It seems that I would have noticed if only two of the three ports had a connector when removing it but I can not find a loose or extra connector behind the glove box anywhere and I have looked about 5 times (using a flashlight too). Would any one else know if their stock 'Piggyback' ECU has three connectors plugged into it or do they just have two?

Piggyback ECU for SCquoia.jpg

Piggyback ECU for SCquoia 3 ports.jpg

Hello is anyone out there?

Mark

·
1,768 Posts
The stock ECU plug that fits goes into the TRD ECU.
And signals/voltages changed from the Piggyback route to the 2 black connectors into the harness....and into the stock ECU.
Fit the plugs where they need to go, put it back together and you're good to go.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi James,
Thanks for your reply. I noticed that the center plug from the stock ECU also fit the open slot in the TRD ECU. I usually photograph everything before disassembly but since I had been there before and thought each plug was unique, it was unnecessary. I just do not remember any 'open' slots in the stock ECU (or for that matter the TRD ECU). I have the 33 page TRD Supercharger installation manual so I can double check but do not recall seeing the TRD ECU installation procedure.

EDITED: The instructions say "Install the supplied TRD Engine Control Unit (ECU) and wiring using the instructions packaged with the ECU". Would anyone have these instructions or know where I could find them? My supercharger came on my '02 Tundra and was swapped by the dealership over to my '02 Sequoia.

James, I think I remember reading about you putting the S/C on your truck, then taking it back off. I don't recall why you did all that work, only to undo it all.

Mark

The stock ECU plug that fits goes into the TRD ECU.
And signals/voltages changed from the Piggyback route to the 2 black connectors into the harness....and into the stock ECU.
Fit the plugs where they need to go, put it back together and you're good to go.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just found this all encompassing post about superchargers that includes the TRD ECU wiring for '03-05 Tundra's and Sequoias and guess what? James you are quoted there! I am still not certain about the 2002 TRD ECU...or how to re-route a new Crankshaft Position Sensor two wire shielded cable but I am open to suggestions...

Hundy TRD Supercharger Newbie Guide | IH8MUD Forum

From the 2003-2004 (not 2002 like mine) 4.7L V8 Supercharger ECU manual, I see in figure 22, that only two black connectors are plugged into two (of the three ports) in the TRD ECU (I think this is the pigtale TRD ECU, right?).

Would anyone have a link to the 2002 4.7L V8 Supercharger ECU manual?

Thanks for your help!

Mark

·
1,768 Posts
I just found this all encompassing post about superchargers that includes the TRD ECU wiring for '03-05 Tundra's and Sequoias and guess what? James you are quoted there! I am still not certain about the 2002 TRD ECU...or how to re-route a new Crankshaft Position Sensor two wire shielded cable but I am open to suggestions...

Hundy TRD Supercharger Newbie Guide | IH8MUD Forum

From the 2003-2004 (not 2002 like mine) 4.7L V8 Supercharger ECU manual, I see in figure 22, that only two black connectors are plugged into two (of the three ports) in the TRD ECU (I think this is the pigtale TRD ECU, right?).

Would anyone have a link to the 2002 4.7L V8 Supercharger ECU manual?

Thanks for you help!

Mark
The unit with only 1 way in for the 2 black connectors is TRD piggyback unit.
The other is the harness for the 2000-2002 ECU instructions. <<Where this has female connectors on both ends.
NO-one has the 2000-2002 ECU install instructions that I've ever come across.

Yes...you should have taken pictures.
I've only done one 2000-2002 ECU install and I remember having to fix my friends mistakes/ECU connections on it.
I remember there being specific connectors marked/labeled on his kit.
There was the soldering the short red wire into the black/orange ignition wire for power as well.

Best of luck in getting everything connected again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The unit with only 1 way in for the 2 black connectors is TRD piggyback unit. Good we are on the same page.

There was the soldering the short red wire into the black/orange ignition wire for power as well. You have a good memory, I see this connection. At first I thought someone did three factory looking wire harness modifications but it must have been the dealer that installed the supercharger.

Best of luck in getting everything connected again.
Thanks, I'll need it. Last night I pulled the wiring harness for the engine through the firewall. There are a lot of connectors that will need to be reconnected.

The odd thing is, I still can not find a short in the shielded cable to the crankshaft position sensor (CKP), although now that the wire harness is 2/3 rds of the way removed there is no longer ground continuity on the red wire to the CKP, I guess that makes sense.

The harness is still attached to the rear of the engine; is it just taped to a plastic framework for support?

I do have a spare TRD piggyback ECU as an insurance policy to keep the one that is installed working.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts