Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

2005 Tundra 4.7 4x4 - I know these engines are known for the injector noise, but I'm not sure this is all that is going on.

I have not relocated the ground strap yet (can't remember where it is suppose to go), but the truck sounds tinny when I get on it or some sort of load. It's driving me crazy (yes, I do turn up the radio)

Looking for suggestions to remedy some of this.
Anyone had any luck with chasing this type of noise down? Thinking about a auto steathascope or something, but it's hard to pinpoint under a load with that...

Thanks

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i have no idea what a ground strap is.
are you talking about your battert ground, starter ground, or another type of ground.
did you do any mod's?
if you can find that pure gas thread i posted.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
look up to see if you can find any gas station near you.
or a boat yard.
try pure gas, before you start spending any money
& countless hours of your time trying to locate this.
i have a 05 4.7l ,but do not have that sound.
i hope you find out it's nothing serious.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No non-ethanol gas near me :mad:

I do use top tier gas - either Shell or Mobil - I try for Shell if I can

No mods other than a Magnaflow muffler

I remember back in the day (2000 Tundra) about a ground strap that is secured to the firewall - that one. I do have something similar on my firewall - so I assumed it was that.

I'll check the steering boot, however I can hear it with the windows down

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i hope you figure it out.
sadly you can't have someone straped under your tundra while your driving,
to see what it is under a load. LOL
you will find it.
gorilla

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,561 Posts
hi, i have no idea what a ground strap is.
are you talking about your battert ground, starter ground, or another type of ground...
It's the ground strap for the injector harness. The ground lead comes out of the passenger side harness and is bolted to the firewall. The mod is to remove the ground from the firewall and rebolt to one of the PS reservoir mounting screws. It slightly reduces injector ticking noise in the cabin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a sound like that, turned out to be the heat guard for the resinator on the exhaust. The heat guard would vibrate because it had a crack in it and make a tiney sound that I thought was coming from the motor. Check it.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
My06 sounds a lot smoother and lugs down more after I run Seafoam in the intake. The neighbors love the plumes of smoke too! :devil:

Mike

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My06 sounds a lot smoother and lugs down more after I run Seafoam in the intake. The neighbors love the plumes of smoke too! :devil:

Mike
Hmmmm - good idea. Which vac hose do you use?

And I will check the heat shield as well

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Hmmmm - good idea. Which vac hose do you use?

I use the vacuum line running between the intake (near the throttle body) to the brake booster. It sucks it in really well!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts