Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a rant before my question. I did a search here but didn't find anything on this...

On my drivers seat the trim (the trim piece that houses all the seat controls) piece has broken off. It's under warranty but I'm getting ready to make my second... actually third trip (one to figure out the parts needed) this week to get it fixed. They sent it out to a local trim shop (Upholstery 1, Wilmington, NC) and they put the new piece back on. When I went to pick it put I noticed that the part that should cover the hinge was sticking out and thought it just wasn'r snaped over the other plastic piece from the inside. Upon looking closer I realized that was screw missing in this area but the bolt hole (which was broken too) was covered with something stick... and looking closer I realized that the the entire piece was held on with.... guess what? Ductape. They actually thought that ductape would hold all the weight of the controlls and constant movment of me in the seat in place of the screws...

Anyway I can't believe that when I had it in there the first time that they didn't notice that there were other parts that were broken instead of just assuming that it would only need the outside trim piece not to mention a "professional" trim shop would do something like that. Or that the Toyota dealership wouldn't check it over before calling me to pick it up to make sure it was done right. These guys know I'm particualar about my truck as I never let them wash it (it's free there) or anything. Obviously, if I took it in for that I would look to see if it was fixed correctly.

I'm curious to know if this piece has broken for others as well?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can believe that they didn't see it. You would not BELIEVE some of the stupid things I have tolerated with the dealer ANSI mechanics. Sadly, they are Toyota mechanics and we do have high expectations of them as we do our Toyota vehicles. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i cant figure out why they sent plastic trim replacement parts to a trim place to begin with....that sort of thing should never be subletted out to independent repair places...now if a repair to the seat fabric or leather i can see that as it happens all the time but simply replacing seat trim? that should have been done at the dealership to begin with...but yes, u should gripe and grip eand gripe for them ductaping the thing together.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A bit of a rant before my question. I did a search here but didn't find anything on this...

On my drivers seat the trim (the trim piece that houses all the seat controls) piece has broken off. It's under warranty but I'm getting ready to make my second... actually third trip (one to figure out the parts needed) this week to get it fixed. They sent it out to a local trim shop (Upholstery 1, Wilmington, NC) and they put the new piece back on. When I went to pick it put I noticed that the part that should cover the hinge was sticking out and thought it just wasn'r snaped over the other plastic piece from the inside. Upon looking closer I realized that was screw missing in this area but the bolt hole (which was broken too) was covered with something stick... and looking closer I realized that the the entire piece was held on with.... guess what? Ductape. They actually thought that ductape would hold all the weight of the controlls and constant movment of me in the seat in place of the screws...

Anyway I can't believe that when I had it in there the first time that they didn't notice that there were other parts that were broken instead of just assuming that it would only need the outside trim piece not to mention a "professional" trim shop would do something like that. Or that the Toyota dealership wouldn't check it over before calling me to pick it up to make sure it was done right. These guys know I'm particualar about my truck as I never let them wash it (it's free there) or anything. Obviously, if I took it in for that I would look to see if it was fixed correctly.

I'm curious to know if this piece has broken for others as well?
I just noticed the other day that this is broke on mine also, guess Ill be taking it to the dealership when I get a chance. I hope I dont have the same trouble that you've had. Good luck on getting yours fixed

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just noticed the other day that this is broke on mine also, guess Ill be taking it to the dealership when I get a chance. I hope I dont have the same trouble that you've had. Good luck on getting yours fixed
Actually the way I noticed was one of the buttons for the seat was laying next to the door when I opened the door and I at first couldn't figure out what it was... then I looked at the side of the seat and realized.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I need the plastic housing as well...anyone have any part numbers? It appears as though i will be needing both the outside as well as the inside piece it connects to. something tells me this is going to cost me a lot of money. wondering if i should just get used to it rather than spend $300 on parts and labor?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Amazing what peopl will try to do and get away with it. I had trailer light harness installed on my old sienna, and when the guy yanked off the bottom trim piece across the rear door entry and broke all the clips, he used sheet metal screws to screw it back in place! Didn't even try to hide them. My kid sliced his leg up sliding out of the rear door. Unbelieveble.

Oh, and I don't have power seats, so no problem for me :devil:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same problem. Didn't think about the warranty covering it. I'll have to check mine. A got a 100,000 mile warranty through the dealership I bought mine from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts