Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on a new CrewMax I am having a very hard time weighing my options right now though so I need some help. I am able to get a Limited with TRD package, back up camera, sun roof, and power memory package for about 27,500 after my trade in. I want to put in a aftermarket nav that I can get for around 900. There is also a Platinum one I am looking at that would be loaded out with just about everything for 29,500. What should I do?? How much will I save in resale value on a platinum vs not? is it worth the extra $2000 plus another $1000 so in total it will cost me around $3000 more for it. I need some help with this do I go for the platinum one or not???

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Dont the Plats. have a/c seats? That would be sweet in the Florida summer with leather.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah they do that and the wood grain steering wheel are the two things that really make me wanna do it but still not sure if its worth it

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The seats alone would make my decision...

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
You can find a wood-grain wheel for less than $300 (TOYOTA TUNDRA STEERING WHEEL AND DASH KITS : eBay Motors (item 220554056899 end time Mar-11-10 09:16:00 PST)) that's a replacement steering wheel, not just a peel-and-stick. This guy makes some excellent replacement panels, some of which are on my list for purchase.... someday :)

The A/C seats would be sweet... not sure what price I'd put on them though, since we only have 3 hot months here in Detroit. I think the Platinum also comes with different rims,

but I'm not a fan of them, as I like the limited 20's (like mine) much better. Also, the Platinum comes with chrome bumpers in the front, and I think the Limited "Painted" bumpers look much better.

Personally, I wouldn't get the Platinum, because I'm not really that impressed with what it comes with, and I think you're paying too much $$$ for the "platinum" badging. To each his own though...

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I would personally get the Platinum if it's only $2k more. :)

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
my vote is for the platinum. :) I have one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I agree I like the colored bumpers as well over the chrome. As far as the rims go they will be used as a second set/winter set because I want to get a set of black 20s to put on the truck. So I think really the only difference would be the ac seats and steering wheel.

Anyone have any kindof idea what the differance in resale value would be down the road?
I believe 2010 is the first year they have offered a platinum version for the tundras so i dont know really how to figure out if its gonna be worth the extra to save extra come trade in or resale time.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Is this NEW? Where can you get a limited crewmax for $27,500? Wow I thought they were way more than that!

Oh you said after your trade in. I assume you have some equity in your trade!.

I am about to pull the trigger on a new CrewMax I am having a very hard time weighing my options right now though so I need some help. I am able to get a Limited with TRD package, back up camera, sun roof, and power memory package for about 27,500 after my trade in. I want to put in a aftermarket nav that I can get for around 900. There is also a Platinum one I am looking at that would be loaded out with just about everything for 29,500. What should I do?? How much will I save in resale value on a platinum vs not? is it worth the extra $2000 plus another $1000 so in total it will cost me around $3000 more for it. I need some help with this do I go for the platinum one or not???

·
Registered
47 Posts
I compared, and went with the Platinum. The seats alone are worth it, the first time you try them on a hot day. Plus, you get the psuedo-billet grille, the wheels, and the PLATINUM badge! The badge alone is worth, like, $1,000. :)

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Platinum Tundra is the second to last trim I'd buy besides the cheapest model with black bumpers...

You pay a slight premium for a truck that has the same bumper as the model costing thousands less - blecchh! - and there just isn't enough you're getting for that additional cost, IMO. The ventilated seats are nice, but not up to snuff compared with other models out there such as the Acura MDX and Cadillac Escalade (IMO, of course).

The Limited is a great buy if you want some additional features and nice perks. You get 20 inch wheels, navigation, attractive color-matched urethane bumper, the same pseudo-billet grille...if you're going Sequoia, the Platinum offers so much more over the Limited. With the Tundra, to me, I don't see the value. But that's my take, FWIW.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't get the Platinum, because I'm not really that impressed with what it comes with, and I think you're paying too much $$$ for the "platinum" badging. To each his own though...
I know!!! I was pretty excited to see the Platinum after they first announced it, thinking it was really going to be unique and luxurious. When I saw that it had SR5 bumpers, I was completely shocked. I think Toyota really missed a great opportunity to load that trim level to the gills and make it stand out. I would personally have picked a couple from the following:

- Give it a unique grille and front fascia
- Colormatched hard tonneau with auto up and down
- Unique tailgate accent
- Additional luxury materials inside the cabin
- Panoramic sunroof
- Leather trimmed dashboard
- Option for 22 inch OEM wheels
- LED tailights
- HID headlights

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I actually think the new grille looks fantastic with the lower chrome bumper. I was all about the color'd bumper until I saw the new grille with the lower chrome half...massive win in my book (and I don't usually like chrome!).

The new grille looks out of place on the color key'd bumper trucks (2010 Limited), just too much chrome with paint. I think the Limited models would look 10x better with color key'd grilles to match the bumpers. Non-the-less, Platinum, Limited, SR5, Tundra Grade...it's still a bad a$$ truck :)

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I actually think the new grille looks fantastic with the lower chrome bumper. I was all about the color'd bumper until I saw the new grille with the lower chrome half...massive win in my book (and I don't usually like chrome!).

The new grille looks out of place on the color key'd bumper trucks (2010 Limited), just too much chrome with paint. I think the Limited models would look 10x better with color key'd grilles to match the bumpers. Non-the-less, Platinum, Limited, SR5, Tundra Grade...it's still a bad a$$ truck :)
On some colors, I agree. Others, I think it looks nice with the chrome headlights, door handles, etc. I do think the Limited would look hot with the same style grille but colormatched. :first:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I know!!! I was pretty excited to see the Platinum after they first announced it, thinking it was really going to be unique and luxurious. When I saw that it had SR5 bumpers, I was completely shocked. I think Toyota really missed a great opportunity to load that trim level to the gills and make it stand out. I would personally have picked a couple from the following:

- Give it a unique grille and front fascia
- Unique tailgate accent
- Panoramic sunroof
- LED tailights
- HID headlights
Ah, don't you remember this?

Cool idea and all but I think that Ford has it down by giving the "uber" nice one to Lincoln, and GM giving the nice one to Caddy. Granted, I'm a fan of the King Ranch and would never by that gaudy of a vehicle.

As far as the OP goes, I don't think the Platinum is too "gaudy" but I personally don't like it. If you're going to spend that much money on a vehicle, buy what you want and don't let any of us talk you out of it. 2 grand on a purchase that will make you happy vs wondering might be worth the dough.

Good luck.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The only upgrade I was looking for in my 07 MAX SR5 was leather which I found 2 in town when I was looking.

Don't like extra electronics.

Saved money for RETRAX, 5100 SHOCKS, WETHERTECH, grill inlay that platinum looks like and few other things....:heh:

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts

Uh... you know that you can get a "billet" insert for your grill for like $100 on ebay, right? It still doesn't make sense to me that the Platinum should cost so much more. As far as I know, all you get over the limited is:
-Different Wheels (which I don't like anyhow);
-Wood Steering-Wheel insert (which can be had for $300 later);
-Wood trim-piece over the dash-controls (also available later for cheap);
-Wood trim piece on the Shifter (don't like this one at all....);
-Billet-grille insert (which I don't like.. looks like the cheap ebay inserts to me);
-Heated & Cooled seats (Okay, I get it... this would be cool, but how much $$$ is it worth?);
-"Platinum" badging.... WOW!

Okay, looking at that list, I can see maybe $2000 in add-ons, but in my opinion, only a few are worth it. I agree with ThirdHorseman: They could have really set this truck apart, and effectively made it closer to "Lexus" with better features/accessories. Instead of putting a cheap-looking "billet" grill, they could have done something like the Denali and even the new Ram-Sport packages have... that chrome mesh, like this:

AND This:

and maybe done something like the Platinum F-150 on the tailgate:

I know not everyone likes that... but then again, not everyone can afford the cheesy upgrades of the Platinum Tundra either... Oh, and definitely some leather-covered dash pieces....

ThirdHorseman hit it right on the head with:
Give it a unique grille and front fascia
- Unique tailgate accent
- Panoramic sunroof
- LED tailights
- HID headlight
Just my opinion of course.... but then again, I'd probably NEVER spend $50+ (inflation adjusted :cool:) for a truck. The $31k I spent for my CrewMax is where I like to stay. That way, I feel better about doing the add-ons that I want, without feeling to guilty about it.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Uh... you know that you can get a "billet" insert for your grill for like $100 on ebay, right?
Those grille inserts do not look good to me at all. The Platinum grille's edges look better and are better spaced out, plus the fact that it is all in one just makes the overall grille look better/cleaner appearance. Am I saying go spend all the extra money on the Platinum just to get the grille? No. I'm saying the grille simply looks better than your average grille insert...a lot better. :twocents:

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Sorry DavidT... I'm not saying it's as cheaply made as those on ebay.... I'm just saying that to me it LOOKS as cheaply made. The billet horizontal grilles like that don't do anything for me, but that's just a personal taste. Hence, I think they could've done a much better job with the "chrome-mesh" look like GMC & Dodge have done.

This looks more "Platinum" to me:

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Sorry DavidT... I'm not saying it's as cheaply made as those on ebay.... I'm just saying that to me it LOOKS as cheaply made. The billet horizontal grilles like that don't do anything for me, but that's just a personal taste. Hence, I think they could've done a much better job with the "chrome-mesh" look like GMC & Dodge have done.
No worries, I respect all opinions on this board. I've never liked billet grilles or much chrome for that matter but for some reason that Platinum grille is really :laughing3d: for me. I like it :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts