Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking this relative to putting on Bilstein 5100 shocks with the adjustable height in the front. Possible settings are +0.87", +1.71", or +2.56" and I'm wondering three things:

Will the auto-leveling adjust to try to match the height of the front?

Can I reasonably expect it to adjust to the +1.71" increase, or am I better off sticking with +0.87"?

Will I need to make adjustments to the rear sensors, or will auto leveling mostly take care of it?

Thanks to anyone with info on this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm asking this relative to putting on Bilstein 5100 shocks with the adjustable height in the front. Possible settings are +0.87", +1.71", or +2.56" and I'm wondering three things:

Will the auto-leveling adjust to try to match the height of the front?

Can I reasonably expect it to adjust to the +1.71" increase, or am I better off sticking with +0.87"?

Will I need to make adjustments to the rear sensors, or will auto leveling mostly take care of it?

Thanks to anyone with info on this.
Ever find out anything?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ever find out anything?
I was able to raise the rear a little. I went with the first perch (.87") in the front and got the rear still higher. It's closer to level, but still has a little rake. One complaint is that it's a little higher on the passenger side now - something I may try to fix once the weather gets a little warmer.

The one negative thing I've discovered is that the 5100s for the rear, designed for use with a coil spring, seem to give a fairly harsh ride. The front feels pretty good as far as I can tell, but the rear Bilsteins don't seem to be well matched to the air suspension. I might bite the bullet and go with some new Toyota adjustable shocks for the rear (about $500 each). My only other option is to swap to coil springs in the rear (requires swapping lower control arms as well), and I don't know what error codes I might have to deal with if I disconnect the compressor and air bags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was able to raise the rear a little. I went with the first perch (.87") in the front and got the rear still higher. It's closer to level, but still has a little rake. One complaint is that it's a little higher on the passenger side now - something I may try to fix once the weather gets a little warmer.

The one negative thing I've discovered is that the 5100s for the rear, designed for use with a coil spring, seem to give a fairly harsh ride. The front feels pretty good as far as I can tell, but the rear Bilsteins don't seem to be well matched to the air suspension. I might bite the bullet and go with some new Toyota adjustable shocks for the rear (about $500 each). My only other option is to swap to coil springs in the rear (requires swapping lower control arms as well), and I don't know what error codes I might have to deal with if I disconnect the compressor and air bags.
Interesting. I'm getting a harsh ride right now with the stock shocks that are leaking/out of oil. I think with the all in cost of new shocks and airbags (when they fail) i could have a pretty off road worthy set up (coil/lift etc) for about the same price. Just wondering about doing it step by step or all at once.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... I think with the all in cost of new shocks and airbags (when they fail) i could have a pretty off road worthy set up (coil/lift etc) for about the same price. Just wondering about doing it step by step or all at once.
That was my thinking for a while too. I've only seen a couple of Platinum Sequoias that have been converted to coils. I'd really like to know what we'd be dealing with if we disconnect the compressor and airbags. Is it as simple as pulling a fuse/relay? And would we have any error codes popping up if we do it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts