Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Did you have to switch the front coils as well? Did you swap the platnium coils for sr5 coils?

I kept the platinum coil springs. The truck still weighs the same so no need to swap coils.

So far I’m having no issues with the 5100’s. Even on the rear air suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am planning on doing the same thing. As of now I have a 2 inch spacer. So in order to fit the bilstein 5100s I will have to buy new top hats as well? I am looking to put the 5100s on the third notch as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am planning on doing the same thing. As of now I have a 2 inch spacer. So in order to fit the bilstein 5100s I will have to buy new top hats as well? I am looking to put the 5100s on the third notch as well.

Yes, you will need new top plates for a non platinum sequoia or a tundra. The center hole is larger on the adjustable shock models and it allows the shock shaft and bushing to pass through the top plate. Not a good thing to have happen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We bought our sequoia used with 2 leaking shocks so it’s not a fair comparison.

I’d say firmer but more controlled. It takes big bumps much better and smoother, but you feel more small ones. I’m very happy with the ride, and so is my wife. The alignment made a huge difference in how it drives as well. I had them put a lot of caster in it and it tracks much better than before.

My tundra is running 6112’s with 5100 rear, with airbags, load range e 34” tires and it rides pretty good with the tires at 35psi. The Sequoia is a much smoother ride on the road , but I still like my tundra more....

·
Registered
47 Posts
So I went ahead and ordered a set of Bilstein 5100 struts. I am planning on setting them at 2.5 inch plus a coach builder shim on top to achieve a total of 3" lift.

Right now I have the revtek 2" spacer and for the rear I just adjusted the sensor to match.

My question is if i Lift the front up another 1 inch will this cause the rear to increase as well because it needs to stay level?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I’m not sure how the rear will react, I would think you would need to lift it more.

At 3” of lift, you will most likely need a new set of aftermarket UCAs to be able to get enough caster in your alignment for it to drive well.

I’m running a set of Tuff Country ball joint UCAs on my tundra with great results at 2.75” lift.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To install the bilstein 5100s should I remove the 2 22MM bolts near the LBJ and losen the cam bolts if needed , is this the easiest way?

Ive seen many sequoia owners run 3" plus now with stock arms but most are spacer lifts, I feel like 5100s put less stress on the suspension components ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I removed the bolts at the LBJ but I didn’t touch the cam bolts. I find the easiest way is to put a 2” ratchet strap on the arm and use it to pull the arm down. Especially if you are by yourself.

You may be ok with stock arms but you will get a much better alignment with aftermarket arms. My tundra was barely in the green on caster with the factory arms. Drove horribly, wouldn’t track straight. Replaced the arms and got another alignment and it drives better than stock. Just giving you my experience.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I appreciate you replying back always seems like this forum is next to dead..

Ive read up that the top notch gives 2.5 inch of lift but some have gotten 2.75.... Should I go ahead and do a diff drop as well?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would for cheap insurance.

I am not on here much just get a notification that someone posted on this thread on my phone. I don’t do much with the sequoia because it’s my wife’s and she likes things stock. My Tundra is another story I’m on another tundra forum more than this one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For the tuff country upper control arms were the ball joints already pressed in and all you had to do is remove the old control arm and plug in the new one?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes they were ready to install. Buy a can of motorcycle chain wax and spray several coats on the bushings before installing to keep them from squeaking. Good to do with any poly busing not just the Tuff Country arms.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know for the control arms it says it works with tundra models from 07-18 , would these be a correct fit for the sequoia as well since the front end is nearly the same ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
mrmachinist - Which setting did you end up putting the front blistein 5100 on? Did you do anything to the rear to even it out? Or did it look ok with front on low setting and nothing in rear? Do you have any pictures?

I have a 2008 Sequoia Limited that I am installing bilstein 5100. I plan on putting them on lowest setting on front because I was not really looking to lift it. I know it says it suppose to do .8" lift but is that accurate?

I appreciate your input. Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
mrmachinist - Which setting did you end up putting the front blistein 5100 on? Did you do anything to the rear to even it out? Or did it look ok with front on low setting and nothing in rear? Do you have any pictures?

I have a 2008 Sequoia Limited that I am installing bilstein 5100. I plan on putting them on lowest setting on front because I was not really looking to lift it. I know it says it suppose to do .8" lift but is that accurate?

I appreciate your input. Thanks

I ran the 5100s on the bottom setting. It gave right at 1” of lift. I did nothing to raise the rear and it is around 1/2” higher to the fender if I remember correctly.

Sometimes I see it and it looks nose high but it really isn’t. A small rear lift would probably look good if that’s what you are wanting. My wife didn’t want it lifted, she hates getting in my tundra with 2.5” lift and 34’s. I put a jack on the front end to show her what 1” looked like and she was fine with it. I am running the stock size tires as well.

I’ll try to get a picture this afternoon on a flat surface.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for your input and the pic. That helps a lot. We don't want to lift the Sequoia either because it would be hard for wife to get in and out. I also have a lifted 3/1 Tundra with 33" tires that she has to climb so no lifted Sequoia for us either. Thanks again

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for your input and the pic. That helps a lot. We don't want to lift the Sequoia either because it would be hard for wife to get in and out. I also have a lifted 3/1 Tundra with 33" tires that she has to climb so no lifted Sequoia for us either. Thanks again

That’s cool don’t see many other people with a tundra and sequoia.

Pre airbags when I first got the 5er.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts