Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Platinum rear shocks question

23K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  mbudner 
#1 ·
Hey fellow sequoiians.
I've got a question, for anyone familiar on the subject, which I am not.
I've never dealt with air suspension on any vehicle in the past, but wondering, how to tell if your shocks are bad or going south?
Typically with coils it's the rate of rebound or skipping on roads. With this system, I have no idea. Any input would be appreciated.
Cheers

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

#39 ·
Thanks for your input and the pic. That helps a lot. We don't want to lift the Sequoia either because it would be hard for wife to get in and out. I also have a lifted 3/1 Tundra with 33" tires that she has to climb so no lifted Sequoia for us either. Thanks again

#46 ·
This is my biggest dilemma right now. I'm looking at putting SR5 OEM Coils in to replace the Air Suspension but I'm wondering if it will throw codes to the computer making things worse if the air system is unplugged.

I'm assuming this is going to be a high interest topic as multiple people I've come across are saying their air bags have begun to leak.

#47 ·
Sorry I just saw this thread again.

I only switched the shocks and left the shock plugs disconnected. Shocks are not leaking and it still rides great. No regrets with going this route at this time. I halfway expected the airbags to destroy the 5100 shocks but I’ve been pleasantly surprised they are working great.

The airbags are still on the vehicle and work without any problems. If I get an airbag problem I will definitely do the coil swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#48 ·
I just installed some front 5100 shocks on my 2011 Sequoia Platinum. No lights on from not having the front AVS sensors not plugged in. I found this set of 5100's locally with only 8,000 miles from a tundra. Only $300 including new springs and top mounts. Now I need to sell the rear 5100's, and buy some that fit my Sequoia. Picked up these slightly used Fuel wheels and Toyo AT II's for only $900 out of Tucson, plus $200 for shipping. $110 for 4 wheel alignment. All in for about $1,500, less after I sell my factory wheels/ tires.
Coil spring Suspension part Shock absorber Suspension Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Sport utility vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car White Automotive tire
Tire Alloy wheel White Automotive tire Vehicle
I'm very happy! ?

#49 ·
I just installed some front 5100 shocks on my 2011 Sequoia Platinum. No lights on from not having the front AVS sensors not plugged in. I found this set of 5100's locally with only 8,000 miles from a tundra. Only $300 including new springs and top mounts. Now I need to sell the rear 5100's, and buy some that fit my Sequoia. Picked up these slightly used Fuel wheels and Toyo AT II's for only $900 out of Tucson, plus $200 for shipping. $110 for 4 wheel alignment. All in for about $1,500, less after I sell my factory wheels/ tires.
I'm very happy! ?
Hey, that looks good. Can you tell me what you ended up doing for the rear suspension?

#51 ·
I have 5100's on the front and on the Rear of my 2011 Platinum. Right now I have tricked the rear airbag sensor to achieve the lift. I want to get another 3 inches bringing my total lift to 6 inches. It will require a custom spacer to go above the rear airbag mount. I have been doing a lot of research and that is the only way I can see to do it while keeping the stock airbag set up and functionality.

#52 ·
I have 5100's on the front and on the Rear of my 2011 Platinum. Right now I have tricked the rear airbag sensor to achieve the lift. I want to get another 3 inches bringing my total lift to 6 inches. It will require a custom spacer to go above the rear airbag mount. I have been doing a lot of research and that is the only way I can see to do it while keeping the stock airbag set up and functionality.

View attachment 152432
Would love to know the details of your suspension changes. Same platinum here, want to get it lifted. More pics pls

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.