Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
8432580.gif 8432585.gif

I havent done this im just assuming one would have to remove the support frames figure 15 and 16 respectivly.

are you looking to remove them permenatly?

hope the diagrams help.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Are you not getting enough cargo space when you fold down the third row?

if not permenantly would be quite the Pain removing and installing it. Because it folds into the floor the option for easy removal isnt there, like it is in the Land Crusiers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would take mine out permanently. I have needed the space often and have only used the 3rd row about 1 time each year. It would also keep things from rolling out the back lift gate...my biggest complaint.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, I've done it while sound proofing my 2010 platinum.

Start in the back and take out the storage tray. Once out, remove the jack. You should then see 6-8 bolts holding the back supports for the seats, one on each fender well and 4-6 in the floor. You should be able to get them out without taking out the rear side quarters. (which is a a PITA to remove.) Once the back bolts are out, you can then take out the front floor bolts. The seat should be free. Lift it straight up because there are metal "pins" that center the seat over it's location. You should then be able to remove it from the vehicle. There is also a few electrical connections in there too. This isn't a super easy job, nor super difficult. I'd put it at "moderate" difficulty for the average person with some know-how.

·
Registered
220 Posts
DNA Dan,

Would you be able to snap a couple photos of the area with the seats removed? It would be great with the 2nd row up and down.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The best I can do is reply #6 from the soundproofing thread I started. Mine are currently in the vehicle. You can find that thread here: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sequoia/225233-soundproofing-project/

I don't think this is something you would want to do as a temporary thing. It does take some time and patience. In terms of the floor boards, you can see the carpet does not extend all the way back and you lose the little storage compartment. Also, the side panels have ~3" x 3" hole where the side supports for the rear of the third row anchors to the wheel well. In the photos, the larger hole is where the grille is, so don't mind that one. Overall it doesn't look bad at all and could probably be covered up with the rear carpet mat.

The only part I didn't care for is the rear rocker panel. It's above the floor, so you would not be able to "slide" anything into the car that easily. It sort of makes a "bowl" where the floor is lower than the rocker panel (if that makes sense.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
The rear locker panel above the floor would at least stop everything from rolling out the back when you lift the hatch. I have dropped and broken so much stuff from the sloped floor...I hate it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just reviewed the sound proofing project. Nice post. I think I'll do my doors and I may remove the rear seats. Looks flat once removed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The rear locker panel above the floor would at least stop everything from rolling out the back when you lift the hatch. I have dropped and broken so much stuff from the sloped floor...I hate it.
I hear you. The only thing that saved my ass a few times is the cargo net that goes across the back.

There's definitely a lot of room to be gained by removing the third row. It's just not something that I'd want to do all the time. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts