Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to swap my rear air suspension on my wife's '12 platinum for a set of coil springs. I have a parts list from the dealer and will hopefully tackling it pretty soon. Has anyone done this before? I find posts with people talking about it but that's it. I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Just looking for more input before I order all the parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes and some small stuff like Stoppers, some bolts, gear assembly nut and washer.

Seems like there would be a coil spring keeper or something. I've never seen what the coil spring rear end looks like.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please keep us posted on this progress and list of items needed to change.
I'm looking at doing the same, but haven't had the time to tackle this with a young family. Good luck and hope it goes smooth for you.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I hear you there. I have an 8 year old and a 5 month old. We just bought the sequoia in November because the rear facing car seat didn't fit in the 2016 4Runner we had just bought right before we found out we were having another baby.

I'll keep everyone updated. Parts are going to run right under $1000 shipped. Not sure how soon I will do it quite yet. Hopefully within the next couple months.

I knew the shocks were leaking when I bought it but when I found out it was as a grand for the factory shocks with no aftermarket options. I'd rather go this route and save money in the long run.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are valved for an air spring instead of a coil spring. I talked to fox, bilstein, and king for some rear shocks for the air suspension and they had nothing for me.

I guess the cost is due to the limited number of shocks made that way.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Subscribed for the future. I recommend contacting Roman at Toyota of Cool Springs. His prices are hard to beat AND he's friendly/knowledgeable. If I was going to do the swap that is who I would use for parts.

That's who I've been dealing with. Roman is awesome. I've ordered quite a few parts from him over the last year or two.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the parts quote Roman sent me he looked all the parts up and is pretty sure this is what is needed for the conversion.

We are actually considering trading our platinum in in a limited. One reason is the suspension the other is. We didn't realize how often we would need to carry 5 passengers. The rear console works great but having to access the 3rd row when we keep strollers and other in the back all the time is a pain. If I can make a good deal I'm going to probably go that route. We just bought this one last November.... live and learn. If we decide to keep it. I will definitely do the conversion.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats why I did an 8 passenger conversion

REAR SEAT TOYOTA SEQUOIA 11 | eBay

My conversion ran me about $1000 total, $750-$800 in parts, $200 labor.

I considered that also, but if I have to spend $2,000 to fix this one a '12 with 57,000 miles. Why don't I eat about $3,000 to get a '15 with 31,000 on it for the same payment, and I don't have to swap a bunch of parts. The only thing I'll lose that we care about is the cooled seats and they don't really work that great anyway.

We have only had this one for 5 months so it's not a good time to trade but I might anyway if I can make a decent deal.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has anyone bought the special tool needed to release the airlines? Part number. 09730-00010

Cheapest I found in the us is around $60. I can get it for $35 on eBay from Spain. I bought a haynes manual. And was reading up on the rear suspension and found the note about the special tool needed.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Has anyone successfully swapped the air suspension for the coils?
Love to hear any feedback.
Also did you use a different spring?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I ended up throwing some bilstein 5100’s all around. Figured I’d try that before spending the money on all the parts to swap. If I have an air problem I’m definitely doing it though.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So no bouncing in the back?
Any modification required to install the shocks?
What about the electric front shocks? Any errors signs in the dashboard?
Can you send us the link where you got the shocks?
Thank you for helping
No bouncing and a really good ride.

I removed all 4 shocks and replaced with 5100’s. No error messages or codes. I put dielectric grease and taped the connectors.

You will need new top hats for the front shocks for a non platinum sequoia.

I bought the shocks from 4 wheel parts because they had a deal for 4 shocks and the top hats on amazon. I bought the kyb brand.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bilstine just told me I can not put 5100s on my platinum sequoia?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
They told me the same thing. They are not valved for the airbag. They are designed for coil springs. I contacted a lot of companies, Fox, ads, king, icon, bilstein, rancho. And they all said oem was my only option.

I decided it was worth the gamble to try the 5100 on the rear worst case, I swap to coils and replace the shocks again.

So far so good.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Your ride height is controlled by the airbags, so nothing changes there. And it will work exactly the same as before.

You just lose the shock adjustments. Since the new shocks are not adjustable.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So, no more Sport mode, right?
Would you say the 5100s are similar in stiffness to the sport mode?
Honestly I’m not sure. 3 of the shocks were leaking when we bought it. So I don’t have a reference to the factory ride.

Little did I know there were no aftermarket options for shocks. Had I known how expensive they were I would have negotiated the price down to compensate. That is why I searched for so long for a performance shock that would work with the airbags.

I still plan on swapping to coils in the rear when I have an air bag problem. I just would have done it sooner if I’d have blown a 5100 rear shock.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The rear ride height will stay the same unless you mess with the sensors.

I went with the lowest setting because my wife didn’t want any lift but she was ok with around an inch in the front. I used my floor jack to show her the different heights.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hello
how are the shocks holding with you? everything is fine?
can you please confirm that those are the shocks you ordered?
i am planing to get the front OEM Shocks and get the shocks in the link for the rear, what do you think?
thank you for your support.
That’s them. I can try to get a picture this evening if my wife gets home before dark.

They bolt right up with no modifications. The only reason bilstein says they don’t fit is because they are designed for coil springs not the airbags.

They have held up great and I have no regrets about using them.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I have read that the 5100 and 4600 are the same but when I spoke with bilstein, they said the valving was different with the 5100’s being slightly stiffer.

They also told me they would not work with the air suspension so take it for what it’s worth.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I still have that special tool if anyone needs it. Cover the shipping and it’s yours. I like using priority mail and it’s right under $8 for the small box.

Edit:

Tool is sold... no longer available.

I traded the Sequoia last week on a leftover ‘19 Expedition Max. So far so good. I did buy the 100k btb warranty for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.