Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get my Platinum Warranty purchased this morning.

On Friday morning, I attempted to call Mike at Handy Toyota to purchase the 6yr/75k Platinum warranty for my '08. I found out that Mike wasn't there any longer and was directed to his replacement who was pre-disposed at the time. I left a voice mail around noon East Coast time on Saturday asking him to call me back. I also called my local dealership to try and offer them the business around the same time. I have not heard back from either dealership.

Another poster had commented about getting a good deal with Jerry at Midwest and by the time I could call on Saturday, they were closed. I called again first thing this morning with all three dealerships and Jerry was the one who picked up the phone. I ended up getting my Platinum Warranty through Jerry for less than what was originally quoted by Mike at Handy!

Mike had originally quoted me via e-mail that the 6 Yr / 75k Platinum was $660. I paid only $509 with Jerry this morning.

All told it took me about 15 minutes to purchase the warranty and I've already received the confirmation e-mail. Jerry is going to send to me later today his full price list for Toyota and Lexus warranties and I will post it here as soon as I receive it!

If anyone is looking for his direct contact information, PM me and I'll send it. Once I get his full pricing sheet, I'll embed his contact information in that sheet for anyone looking.

P.S.>
I am in no way related to Midwest Toyota and am posting this for others looking to purchase a low cost Platinum Warranty. I am very pleased with the service I received from Jerry. He explained all of the benefits to me and took the time to ensure I was getting just what I needed!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice shopping.

I got the 7yr 100K warranty for under 1,000 financed at 0% so for me it was a no brainer. I never thought of shopping around for just a warranty since I knew I was getting a fair price.... but I guess I should have.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice shopping.

I got the 7yr 100K warranty for under 1,000 financed at 0% so for me it was a no brainer. I never thought of shopping around for just a warranty since I knew I was getting a fair price.... but I guess I should have.
I'm definitely interested in this info. I was told that it would be around $1600 for the 7yr, 100,000 mile warranty.

I dont have to buy it till I'm close to the end of my 3yr/36k warranty correct?

Thanks again Guys.

Bo

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Nice legwork!

I got the 7/100k platinum on mine for $799, but with 0.9% for 3 years. I never had to use it, though. Dang Toyota reliability!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I'm definitely interested in this info. I was told that it would be around $1600 for the 7yr, 100,000 mile warranty.

Thanks again Guys.

Bo
As long as you are still under 3 years and 36k miles you can still buy a platinum warranty. If you go one day or one mile over you cannot. They don't make any exceptions, although no one looks at your truck so if you were a few miles over you could probably tell them you are under...:devil:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice legwork!

I got the 7/100k platinum on mine for $799, but with 0.9% for 3 years. I never had to use it, though. Dang Toyota reliability!

I paid more for my 7 year 100k Platinum, but if I don't use it I get the whole amount back.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I paid more for my 7 year 100k Platinum, but if I don't use it I get the whole amount back.
??? Is this a special deal your dealer was running? I've never heard of that. I seriously doubt that many trucks won't have anything break that covered by the warranty. I guess that is an incentive they run to keep you from making claims for small stuff?? :beatsme:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What he told me is that the 3 Years / 36,000 miles starts from the initial sale date for the vehicle. So you need to know when this date is if you purchased a used vehicle.

So for example, my truck's initial sale date was 5/2008 even though I purchased it as a Certified PreOwned in 6/2009, so I technically should have purchased the warranty before 5/2011 to ensure I got the most benefit from the Platinum Warranty. In this particular case, I still payed for the 6/75 Warranty, but I won't get the full 3 year extension... I'll only benefit from 2 years and 11 months.

Jerry has sent to me the price lists, but they are just in a raw text format, but the price you were quoted is WAY more than what he just gave to me.

I'll put them together into an XLS file and upload them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
??? Is this a special deal your dealer was running? I've never heard of that. I seriously doubt that many trucks won't have anything break that covered by the warranty. I guess that is an incentive they run to keep you from making claims for small stuff?? :beatsme:
Got it through Butler Toyota in Macon, GA. And that is exactly what they are doing, making sure you don't hen peck them on little things. I'm mainly concerned with major things like engine, transmission, or the tons of electrical stuff. If I need it I have it, and if I don't well more money for the kids' college funds.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I think you get a pro-rated amount back if you sell or trade in your truck before the 7 year 100K is up.

Extended warranties are like insurance, your money is pooled with everybody else for payout in case of an issue. They make money on the law of averages that warranty repairs will not exceed the amount taken in. To totally refund for not being used does not make good business sense.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I have seem some warranties like this on appliances and electronics. They dont hand you a cheque at the end, you get a credit. It can be used for anything you want in the store where you got it. I just did this with a new freezer from Sears. It's like getting a gift card at the end not cash. Maybe this is the same idea. You wont get money back but a credit towards a new car purchase or parts etc. This way the dealer still gets the money in some form. I hate buying extended warranties but this is a good way to sell them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As long as you are still under 3 years and 36k miles you can still buy a platinum warranty. If you go one day or one mile over you cannot. They don't make any exceptions, although no one looks at your truck so if you were a few miles over you could probably tell them you are under...:devil:
I like the way you think:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think you get a pro-rated amount back if you sell or trade in your truck before the 7 year 100K is up.

Extended warranties are like insurance, your money is pooled with everybody else for payout in case of an issue. They make money on the law of averages that warranty repairs will not exceed the amount taken in. To totally refund for not being used does not make good business sense.

It does if the percentage of people (or dollars) who never make a single claim is insignificant compared to the extra people you get who buy the warantee because of the guarantee.

If I have to refund 10 warantees but get 100 extra people signing up then it is a huge net win.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I returned my platinum warrantee to the selling dealership after talking with Jerry; He is a stand up guy. He saved me big $$$. He gave me options that suited me when the selling dealer only offered me the 100K 8 year. Jerry rocks!!:beavbutt:

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
It does if the percentage of people (or dollars) who never make a single claim is insignificant compared to the extra people you get who buy the warantee because of the guarantee.

If I have to refund 10 warantees but get 100 extra people signing up then it is a huge net win.
Who is the refund coming from? The original writing dealership that sold it, or Toyota financial that administers the warranty?

I have a suspicion that any full warranty refund would be some side deal from the dealership than anything condoned or written by Toyota financial.

I would love for anybody to post a JPEG showing the written contract language with this total refund clause.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was rapidly approaching 36k miles so I bought a 7 year/125k mile platinum warranty from Jerry today for $1,269. 2008 Tundra 4x4. Very easy to work with Jerry in Kansas.

Dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
What he told me is that the 3 Years / 36,000 miles starts from the initial sale date for the vehicle. So you need to know when this date is if you purchased a used vehicle.

So for example, my truck's initial sale date was 5/2008 even though I purchased it as a Certified PreOwned in 6/2009, so I technically should have purchased the warranty before 5/2011 to ensure I got the most benefit from the Platinum Warranty. In this particular case, I still payed for the 6/75 Warranty, but I won't get the full 3 year extension... I'll only benefit from 2 years and 11 months.

Jerry has sent to me the price lists, but they are just in a raw text format, but the price you were quoted is WAY more than what he just gave to me.

I'll put them together into an XLS file and upload them.
Any luck with the price list?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any luck with the price list?
Sorry, we went to the lake over the weekend and I've been way heads down at work. I'll see if I can get some free time this afternoon where I can put it together.

Sorry for the delay. If there's something specific, let me know and I'll send you that item.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts