Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there know what the PO441 and PO446 codes mean? I have read info on these two codes but everything I have seen is very generic dealing with the EVAP system. I am looking to see if someone has nailed these two codes down to something very specific.

Thanks, Gator.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had both on pending and the p0446 come on on it's own. I changed the gas cap (probably was still good, but the truck had 170 K miles). I found the valve between the canister and the air box barely hanging on the vacuum lines. They were cracked, so i got about 10 ft of vacuum hose and replaced as many lines as I could. Reset the codes and the monitors cleared a few days later.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Probably just your gas cap. Mine was toast at 55k. Picked one up at Toyota for $18 and codes have been gone for 10k now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after a lot of research and finding out how the charcol canister can throw multiple DTC's i finally looked under the hood. It seems like when I had my timing belt replaced the techs somehow knocked a large vacume line loose, one that goes into the canister itself. I hope this solves my problem. Bottom line, look for the easy stuff first!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had this same code a few weeks ago! Looked under the hood and there was a hose that came loose on top of the driver's side of the motor. Connected it and zip tied it just to make sure it didn't come loose again.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I would think just opening the hood fixed your problem or might it be you need a Master Tech that does not casue more problems than he starts? Even Toyotas need to be inspected on occasion and i have yet to find many cheap replacement parts for any Toyota and my Family has been driving Toys since the early 70's! I have been burned by not looking at my truck after truck was at dealership and i inspect mine inside and out prior to leaving dealership just to make sure it is in same condition or better before i pull away from service door! Once you pull away they are not real receptive to claiming they did something wrong! Most of them do nothing wrong but you will find that guy eventually that used to work at JL and their is no telling what he messed up? Glad your fix was relativly easy but if you had not opened the hood and inspected where would you be? Back at dealership spending money to fix their mistakes!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had both on pending and the p0446 come on on it's own. I changed the gas cap (probably was still good, but the truck had 170 K miles). I found the valve between the canister and the air box barely hanging on the vacuum lines. They were cracked, so i got about 10 ft of vacuum hose and replaced as many lines as I could. Reset the codes and the monitors cleared a few days later.
What size hose did you use? I think I may have to do the same thing..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: PO441

My check engine light recently came on my 2006 Tundra. I took it to Advance Auto and they hooked it up to an Actron code checker. The code I saw displayed was PO441. I installed a cold air system approx. 3 months ago and had no problems til now. Checked all the hoses on cold air system and under hood and they all seem fine. Any idea what could be causing this? Looked at gas cap and o-ring seems ok. I hate to go to a dealer... seems they usually try to overcharge. Please help!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would think just opening the hood fixed your problem or might it be you need a Master Tech that does not casue more problems than he starts? Even Toyotas need to be inspected on occasion and i have yet to find many cheap replacement parts for any Toyota and my Family has been driving Toys since the early 70's! I have been burned by not looking at my truck after truck was at dealership and i inspect mine inside and out prior to leaving dealership just to make sure it is in same condition or better before i pull away from service door! Once you pull away they are not real receptive to claiming they did something wrong! Most of them do nothing wrong but you will find that guy eventually that used to work at JL and their is no telling what he messed up? Glad your fix was relativly easy but if you had not opened the hood and inspected where would you be? Back at dealership spending money to fix their mistakes!
Not every dealership is bad. In fact most are pretty good. The problem is that you get a bad one, and certain people will bad mouth all dealers. We will take care of stuff even if we didn't cause is. We had a Tacoma come in last Saturday for a major service. The guy left, and 10 miles later the guy hears a bang and is leaking coolant. He has the truck towed back in and we found a giant hole in the ac condensor and the radiator. How in the hell could we cause that. He was a reasonable man, but his comment was "how do I know that you didn't leave a screwdriver in there and it fell in and caused the hole?" Really? Where is the tool? We didn't say that, we just took care of him. Aftermarket radiator and aftermarket condensor. Cost us $250 bucks to keep a customer that just spent $1800. Bottom line is that yes the dealers can make mistakes, but we have cleaned up more mistakes by independents.
Anyhow, back to the OP, if the truck is an 03 or 04, could be a bad filler neck. There was a tsb for it a few years back. Had to replace it in mine.
Hope the hose fixed your problem.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: PO441

My check engine light recently came on my 2006 Tundra. I took it to Advance Auto and they hooked it up to an Actron code checker. The code I saw displayed was PO441. I installed a cold air system approx. 3 months ago and had no problems til now. Checked all the hoses on cold air system and under hood and they all seem fine. Any idea what could be causing this? Looked at gas cap and o-ring seems ok. I hate to go to a dealer... seems they usually try to overcharge. Please help!!
When I had the same codes appear, I did change my gas cap with one from Advance Auto. I also did find that the valve between the charcoal canister and the intake/engine was almost falling off, because the vacuum hoses were cracked at the valve. I replaced the hoses and both codes completed their monitors and changed to ready after the drive cycle was complete. I also disconnected the battery at the same time and the whole system had to go to ready. On the 01 the canister is in the engine bay. I'm not familiar with the location on the newer models. Did the canister move on these models near the gas tank, were most manufacturers have them located now?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I threw these codes when a vacuum line under the hood came off. Put it back on and it took care of it. Look around and see if it's that easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts