Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few here may know that I had a long history with Chevy trucks. I really wish I could say that history was a good one, but unfortunately GM had other ideas.

This is my neighbors old Chevy that had dropped a drive shaft about 4 weeks ago. The day after the drop I took him to the dealer I got mine from and he came home with a new Tacoma. Needless to say this old gal had to be put down.

We rented this trailer and decided to give it a go. He had a friend about 50 miles away who bought it from him for parts but didnt have a way to get it. I have to admit I was a little nervous as we pulled away from the house knowing we had a 50 mile trip ahead of us, but after the first 5 miles I was at ease with the performance of the Tundra under this kind of load. I tow a large enclosed trailer everyday, but never a load like this. The Tundra pulled it great, the engine NEVER felt stressed and the ride was smooth as silk. For some odd reason the trailer wasnt equipped with brakes and that made me very nervous, but we stayed on the back roads and never went over 60 and I just stayed well behind the guy in front of me. The large brakes on the Tundra stopped it well but I could certainly feel the load back there at the lights. We got many many looks from Ford and Chevy truck drivers along the way and one other new Tundra coming the other way had his thumb up as we passed by and all we could see was his teeth. :D

All in all, I was super impressed with the way the Tundra pulled and stopped this load. No concerns what so ever for the entire 50 mile journey. If the trailer had brakes we could have easily jumped on the interstate but without them I was afraid if it began to fishtail I'd be in a heap of trouble. But I have complete confidence I could have gone 70mph + with this load. My message center read about 11mpg at the end of the trip and I didnt think that was too shabby.

Take care,

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Looks like the tundy held the weight okay. Any dist hitch?

I think that picture is greeeeeaaaaattttt! hahaha

I'd say you had a minimum weight of 6000 lbs with that?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No WD hitch at all. Just a standard Reese hitch with a 2" ball. We did have to flip the hitch over and put the ball on the higher part to make the trailer ride level, but other than that we did nothing special.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the tundy held the weight okay. Any dist hitch?

I think that picture is greeeeeaaaaattttt! hahaha

I'd say you had a minimum weight of 6000 lbs with that?
Thats what we guessed the weight at, around 6000 lbs. or maybe a little more.

I didnt use a WD hitch, I just used my regular hitch flipped over to keep the back end up some.

And as an update to my first post, I forgot to mention that the weather was 90 degrees and the trans. temp. gauge never flinched the entire trip. And like I mentioned earlier, the engine never felt under gunned or strained in any way. I feel we could have easily gone 70mph + with it. But for safety we stayed about 60.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL only one response?? I thought you guys would be all over that one. haha

Oh well, maybe next time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Those are great pics. DC to the rescue!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That's what I'm talking about! I should print that out and throw it in my Chevy friends face!:mad::D

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Farkin cool man!! Why is it that whenever a pic of a tundy pulling a domestic is posted the domestic looks so small? I haven't seen the tundy side-by-side with a domestic...is it really that huge? Cooool:cool: I'm saving this pic to go with the one that got posted of the tundy pulling in the Ford SD.

Rock on!:tu:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Farkin cool man!! Why is it that whenever a pic of a tundy pulling a domestic is posted the domestic looks so small? I haven't seen the tundy side-by-side with a domestic...is it really that huge? Cooool:cool: I'm saving this pic to go with the one that got posted of the tundy pulling in the Ford SD.

Rock on!:tu:
I never thought of that until you said something. It does look alot bigger.

I had a buddy with a newer Dodge today see my truck for the first time. He kept saying he couldnt get over the size of it and the room in the interior. We were parked kind of close together and once he said that I could really see a big difference. He was talking about getting a Dodge super club cab (or whatever they call it), but after seeing mine today he said he was going to go look at a Crew Max this weekend.

If Toyota had any idea how many great things I say about this truck to people who ask, they'd have to put me on some kind of payroll.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm no Chevy hater. I've had some problems with my Chevy trucks in the past but I still liked them for what they were (I come from a Chevy family). I love my new Tundra more though. :D

BTW, the size difference between the two trucks is pretty big in those photos!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts