Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Tundra DC with the JBL system (amp behind rear seat) and was wondering if my hearing is really that bad (Sirens and air horns for 18 yrs) or if my amp is possibly dead.

What level do you normally listen to your radio at (indicated on screen)? I have to be up in the 20-30 range to overcome the ambient noise level. Was wondering if this was a norm or if I need to go get my hearing aids (along with my bifocals) (;-D

Thanks
Keith

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think that is about right. I run mine at 25 normally and up to 30-35
if I like the tune. Of course this is with the windows rolled up, I can't
even hear it below 40 with the window(s) down at highway speeds.

dogger

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel better now...it was hard enough dealing with the fact I was perscribed bifocals let alone needing hearing aids too!!!

It just seems that an amplified system shouldn't need 50%-60% of its capacity to overcome ambient noise... Hummmmmm... maybe I need an upgrade!

Thanks for the response.

Keith

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 30 years experience in the pro audio industry (Engineer, Producer, Musician, Mobile DJ). I have an '04 Tundra LTD dbl cab w/ the JBL system.

Other factors to consider are the types of music you listen to, the tone, balance and fader adjustments and the year that the music was recorded.

Why the last question you may ask? Well, newer music is mixed with higher overall volume levels of sound over most frequencies (pitches) heard by the human ear. The trade-off is that there are less dynamics (the high volume versus low volumes that were common in recordings from the past). Another fact is that recording technologies are just so much better today than in the past so new recording sound better, fuller and louder.

As far as listening levels: I average between the 20's and 30's in volume when I am alone and want to enjoy my music. When I really want to crank it I will take it to 40 and very seldom beyond (I, personally, value my hearing).

When I have other people in the vehicle and I am having conversations, it is more likely in the 10 to 20 range. A song from the 1950's may take an extra 10 digits (of volume knob twisting) to keep up with a newer release. With music recorded in between the 1950's to current day, the amount of "make-up" gain becomes less and less and depends upon the type of music, tonal adjustments, etc.

Keep in mind too that i, personally, rarely have the windows open and prefer the A/C or the vent with the rear electric window down.

Hope this helps! :eek:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I do understand that technologies have evolved but I really was concentrating on the FM side of the volumn issue.

I have replaced the factory speakers with infinity 6 1/2"s and the sound quality is better. I will probably add an amp just to give the system a little boost. I just think if I demand less output from the factory HU I will get cleaner, clearer sound.

I have been searching the forum for more info on adding an amp...so much info it's hard to focus... :eek:

thanks again for the input.
Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts