Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a 2005 or 2006 Scion xA for my teenage daughter. I would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences with this model car. Toyota has a good reputation but I've read mixed reviews regarding reliability and such with this car.

Thanks,
Elliott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last Oct I purchased a 2005 xA with 50k miles on it. Now it's got 57k miles without any problems. I was looking for something affordable, reliable and easy on gas. My mpg ranged from 29 in the winter to a 36 on my last tank with a good mix of hwy/city driving. I'm sure I can get those number better but I have a pretty heavy foot.

In the winter, it drives just as I expect other small front wheel drive vehicles will drive. A few times the ABS kicked in. It scared me at first because it was so loud but I've been assured at other Scion sites and a dealer that it's normal. It's really louder than any other car I've experienced ABS in.

There was more road noise than I expected, especially on grooved highways. The worst part I would say is that it's underpowered on the highway. It can keep up with traffic just fine but I can really notice the lack of power when I try to pass someone at 70mph or when I'm merging from an on ramp to 75mph traffic.

I just love this little car for zipping around the city. Highway driving is ok, you will just have to learn its limitation due to it's small underpowered engine. The radio works well at drowning out road noise. The interior is wearing well. Haven't had a chance to test the A/C for extended periods (there is a tsb about the a/c not blowing alot of cold air for my model, looks like it's been fixed for newer models) or drive in the mountains yet. If you do get one, I would highly recommend to put a clearbra on the hood since it seems to attract rocks. Mine has a bunch of chips in the hood because the previous owner didn't put any protection on it.

Hope this helps,
Nick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nick. I'm looking at a 2006 as a possibility with 16K miles. We'll see I guess. Appreciate your help.

Elliott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Elliott, the xA would be perfect for your daughter. I got a new 06 last Oct. and love it. It passes well at 70, and is zippy around town. I feel safe in it because of the Toyota construction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Nick, I have a new 06 xA, and wonder if you have any experience with iridium sparkplugs. I hear they increase mileage. Thanks. Sherry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Elliott, the xA would be perfect for your daughter. I got a new 06 last Oct. and love it. It passes well at 70, and is zippy around town. I feel safe in it because of the Toyota construction.
Thanks Sherry. We ended up buying it and my daughter loves it. She named it "Squeee". Don't ask....

Elliott

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing that I would definitely recommend is to get a clearbra if you live in an area where cars gets lots of knicks and chips on the hood/windshield from road debris. The hood of my XA has lots of little knicks and chips in it that i need to fill in or buff out and cover with a clearbra.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2006 XA and love it ,We drive it more than the sennia or
my tundra. Great at the gas pump. Mine has 46,000 miles and I see no problems. Good radio with mp3 fun to drive in town.
c for power

1 - 10 of 10 Posts