Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Corolla LE with under 20K on it which has been well maintained. On my first cross country trip I logged over 43 mpg, and this was with the ac on much of the time. The next x country trip I logged about 36 mpg w/o ac if my memory serves me correctly. My most recent highway trip I logged just < 30 w/o ac. The Toyota rep was quick to tell me that mileage will vary yada yada yada as if I was some sort of idiot. This is hardly a situation of slight mileage variations.

I drive very little but at least once a week, the car is well maintained and garaged, and I drive like an old lady. Well, maybe not exactly, but I drive sensibly, and my driving habits have not changed. I drive very consistently with an eye on getting good mileage.

I hooked an Innova diagnostic device up to it and it returned no errors and everything seems within normal ranges. On second thought, a couple of the sensors were operating near borderline, so maybe that could be contributing.

I should add, and I haven't mentioned this even to Toyota yet, that I do occasionally hear the auxillary? fan come on, even in the dead of winter. Someone suggested that this might be one of the sensors and this could be causing the poor mileage situation.

Toyota mechanic claims that even though I may be getting bad mileage, it wouldn't be covered under warranty because it isn't considered a failure.

I contacted Toyota Customer EXperience (what a joke) and explained my situation and was told that the dealership needs to look at it, and if I am not happy with the decision I could get a second opinion. They would stand by the dealers assessment without a 2nd opinion to the contrary.

My concern is that I am going to run up against a brick wall here and need some advice on what is causing this and the best way to get Toyota to fix it. I should add that the vehicle has run well otherwise. It was purchased in 12/06 so the original warranty is up, but I am supposed to be covered by a bumper to bumper warranty, a platinum Toyota plan.

Lastly, I have just become aware that there was a TSB for this on the PCM, although for an unrelated? issue. I am wondering about the possiblity that the PCM is at fault.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
219 Posts
Could be a sensor causing the engine to run rich.

Have you checked the air pressure in your tires? If it is low, it could cause a pretty good drop in MPGs.

Maybe run a pint of SeaFoam through the tank and let that clean out the injectors a bit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts